Saga Possible reason to have a new hope that the Saga will be released in 3-D

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth ladnar, Aug 26, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. darth ladnar Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Here's some news we might like! I saw some movie news that might just convince Kathleen Kennedy or those around her at Disney that shelving the 3-D Star Wars release of the films was bad idea. There was a new #1 film internationally this weekend, and the movie was actually an old favorite -- Jurassic Park 3-D! It earned $30 million this last weekend and $28.8 million of that came from China!

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/08/26/...-1-at-international-box-office/9831377528310/

I'm sure that TPM 3-D release more than broke even, but just that $30 million weekend alone would pay for the entire conversion process of the 3 remaning films. (My understanding is that ATOC and ROTS have already been converted.) So, overall the 5 films will certainly bring in big profits over their entire run. Much more important is that an international release would create a huge boost in interest for the ST in the China. (Heck, I bet they'd make back their money for the 3-D release just by the increase in Chinese revenue for the ST.)

I'm not sure how much the China government would go for a film series that tells of how a dictator comes to power and a rebellion re-establishes a democracy by overthrowing and defeating him, but if the Chinese would go for it, then I bet Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are going to put some serious time into re-considering their decision not to release it.
    Last edited by darth ladnar, Aug 26, 2013
    SlashMan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    3D sucks, will never see these films in 3D
  3. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 3
    AOTC and ROTS have been converted; if I remember correctly AOTC was shown in 3-D at last year's Celebration, along with a 3-D clip of ROTS.
  4. darklordoftech Force Ghost

star 5
    Or China will say that Palpatine = Chiang and Luke = Mao.
    darth ladnar likes this.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    There was no cinema in my country when the PT was released, so the 3D re-releases made me ecstatic! I was so sad when they cancelled it.
    -Jedi Joe- likes this.
  6. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6

I wasn't
  7. -Jedi Joe- Jedi Master

star 1
    I was sad when they cancelled them. I love 3D, and I happened to really like TPM's post-conversion. It could have been enhanced just a little more, but at least it didn't look like cardboard cutouts like ST:ID did. AotC looked even better judging by the footage they showed at CVI.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Sarge Chosen One

star 4
    Fixed. :p
  9. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6

:mad: :p
    Sarge likes this.
  10. SlashMan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    My friends and I had a blast reliving our childhoods and going to see the movies we grew up with on the big screen. Whether you like 3D or not, this is state of the art technology here (none of the blue/red crap). Again, I thought re-releasing the Saga would tie in PERFECTLY with the sequels coming up, but apparently, they thought it was a better idea to waste the films they already converted. Such a shame. Even if Attack of the Clones isn't a knockout at the box-office (I'd still kill to see Geonosis in 3D), Revenge of the Sith onwards is sure to make a huge splash. And let's not forget about re-relasing the OT...

LucasFilm has done a lot to test the faithfulness of its fans lately. Why not restore some of our faith in the company and make good on this promise?
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Blame Disney, not LucasFilm.
  12. CoolyFett Force Ghost

star 4
    But were episodes 2-6 ever in theaters in 3D like episode 1 was?
  13. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 3
    No, only TPM in 3-D made it to theaters.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn