main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Possible reason to have a new hope that the Saga will be released in 3-D

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's some news we might like! I saw some movie news that might just convince Kathleen Kennedy or those around her at Disney that shelving the 3-D Star Wars release of the films was bad idea. There was a new #1 film internationally this weekend, and the movie was actually an old favorite -- Jurassic Park 3-D! It earned $30 million this last weekend and $28.8 million of that came from China!

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/08/26/...-1-at-international-box-office/9831377528310/

I'm sure that TPM 3-D release more than broke even, but just that $30 million weekend alone would pay for the entire conversion process of the 3 remaning films. (My understanding is that ATOC and ROTS have already been converted.) So, overall the 5 films will certainly bring in big profits over their entire run. Much more important is that an international release would create a huge boost in interest for the ST in the China. (Heck, I bet they'd make back their money for the 3-D release just by the increase in Chinese revenue for the ST.)

I'm not sure how much the China government would go for a film series that tells of how a dictator comes to power and a rebellion re-establishes a democracy by overthrowing and defeating him, but if the Chinese would go for it, then I bet Disney and Kathleen Kennedy are going to put some serious time into re-considering their decision not to release it.

SlashMan and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    3D sucks, will never see these films in 3D

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    AOTC and ROTS have been converted; if I remember correctly AOTC was shown in 3-D at last year's Celebration, along with a 3-D clip of ROTS.

4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Or China will say that Palpatine = Chiang and Luke = Mao.

darth ladnar likes this.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    There was no cinema in my country when the PT was released, so the 3D re-releases made me ecstatic! I was so sad when they cancelled it.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I wasn't

7. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I was sad when they cancelled them. I love 3D, and I happened to really like TPM's post-conversion. It could have been enhanced just a little more, but at least it didn't look like cardboard cutouts like ST:ID did. AotC looked even better judging by the footage they showed at CVI.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Fixed. :p

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

:mad: :p

Sarge likes this.
  10. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    My friends and I had a blast reliving our childhoods and going to see the movies we grew up with on the big screen. Whether you like 3D or not, this is state of the art technology here (none of the blue/red crap). Again, I thought re-releasing the Saga would tie in PERFECTLY with the sequels coming up, but apparently, they thought it was a better idea to waste the films they already converted. Such a shame. Even if Attack of the Clones isn't a knockout at the box-office (I'd still kill to see Geonosis in 3D), Revenge of the Sith onwards is sure to make a huge splash. And let's not forget about re-relasing the OT...

LucasFilm has done a lot to test the faithfulness of its fans lately. Why not restore some of our faith in the company and make good on this promise?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Blame Disney, not LucasFilm.

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    But were episodes 2-6 ever in theaters in 3D like episode 1 was?

13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    No, only TPM in 3-D made it to theaters.

CoolyFett and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Are there any rumors about the rest of the saga being released in 3-D I loved The Phantom Menace 3-D And would love to see the rest of the saga in 3-D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lulu_Mars likes this.
  15. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013
    The teaser for TFA at the beginning of the Hobbit was in 3D and it wasn't bad at all. It makes me even more perplexed as to why they cancelled the re-releases in the first place. I'm still holding out hope that they're saving them for a set of re-releases to ramp up the hype for TFA.

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    But I thought they were only releasing TFA on Regular 2-D and I-MAX 2-D ?

17. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I saw the new Lord of the Rings Hobbit movie in 3D, and also Planet of the Apes. I cant say it was a better experience. I wouldnt mind seeing the 6 main movies in 3D.

18. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    My eyes adjust after 5 minutes, and any perceived benefits are lost.

19. -Jedi Joe-

May 6, 2013

It's being filmed in 2D but they're postconverting it and rendering the CG stereoscopically, unless they only did the teaser in 3D for snickers and giggles.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I think they only did it for the Trailer i don't think you will be able to see the movie in 3-D On December 18 2015 ....

21. Samwise_Skywalker

Samwise_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2002
    I had a blast watching TPM in theaters, 3D or not. I'm not a fan of 3D at all, but I'm not going to pass up a chance to see Star Wars on the big screen. I hope it happens.

mes520 and Sarge like this.
  22. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    For me, the appeal of the 3D rereleases has little to do with 3D. Simply put, the Star Wars films were made to be seen in theaters. Seeing TPM on the big screen again, with a full crowd, was far and away better than any home video experience could ever give me.

Lulu_Mars, BigAl6ft6 and bstnsx704 like this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They were cancelled so that ILM could concentrate on the ST. AOTC was the only one that was almost done when the project was put on hold and released at the European convention.

24. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Yup. With TPM, the 3D did nothing for me but I had so much fun seeing it on the big screen again and I was certainly looking forward to reliving that experience with the other five films (and it would have been my first time seeing the OT in theaters).

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Considering how Disney has released every damn Marvel movie since Thor onward in 3D, yes, Force Awakens will be in 3D. And there probably will not be a 2D IMAX version, it will be 3D IMAX, just like Marvel.