main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possible Star Wars T.V and what effect would it have on EU?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by sluggo, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    As we all know there are a lot of rumors about a George Lucas working with Kevin Smith and Mark Hamill on a new Star Wars t.v series. While many of the earlier rumors I heard said the series would take place between RotS and ANH, the newest ones I've seen (listed below) make it seem like the show will instead take place some time post RotJ, since Hamill might reprise his role as Luke, given his current age, they would probably go for the 20-25 year after RotJ mark. One of the links below also says that Lucas, Smith and Hamill are not really interested in doing existing EU stories but writing new original stories for the series.

My question is (and I think this is the place to ask it) what effect could this show have on existing EU if what these reports say is true? What if Luke is not married to Mara Jade, the Vong invasion never happened, there are no solo kids etc...

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie121004.php

"Your scooper that sent you the info on Hamill is right, they are hoping to get Mark to come back and be like the mentor of the new Jedi Knights or something. I am trying to pin point the time frame and if they are expected to keep the EU continuity. I personally doubt that EU storylines will be explored, they might be mentioned but from what I understand Kevin and George want fresh new storylines. I was told about a possible twist to show, even though it's to take place after Return of the Jedi a few ILMers have been talking about showing some flashback sequences via Holocron- type technology"

and

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/story/Mark_Hamill_Talks_Star_Wars_TV_Series_89517.asp

"When asked if he would be interested in once again portraying Luke Skywalker on the small screen he quoted James Bond by saying "Never Say Never."

and finally, a report that would indicate that this project is really happening

http://www.moviehole.net/news/4734.html

"Question : Or were you blissfully unaware that you?ve been dotting the T?s and crossing the I?s with George Lucas over the past few days?

Kevin Smith - Nope not even you are gonna trick this one out of me. *Goes back to humming the theme from 'Star Wars'*"

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I am not sure, but I don't think this belongs here. THere is a Small Screen Forum

Also, I think This thread talks about the Mark Hamill thing.

darth_nemisis

3. sluggo

sluggo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    I put it here because I don't really want to talk about the show itself, but what the implications to the Star Wars EU would be if the show does end up.....for lack of a better term, bulldozing some/most/all of the post RotJ EU as those reports I found would indicate or at the very least hint at.

4. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Search the subject, there is another of these threads on the forum...it has links to all the sites saying that it will happen and stuff...

5. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Other threads have been locked about this. I think...

darth_nemisis

6. JacenKatarnC3PX

JacenKatarnC3PX Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2005
    Well, to answer the question. Personally, I'm not sure. It would be pretty awesome if they followed the storyline of the existing books and go on further (NJO/X-Wing series most especially :p). But then again, I don't want to have it cuzz I'm afraid it would screw up the books in my opinion. I want to just imagine it and in my head describe the characters to myself . I want to make up the images in my head. I don't want a picture of somebody all of a sudden ruined by the TV show. For instance: I don't want someone ,say, Gam Bel Iblis ruined. I picture him with a commanding prescence and strong voice. But what happens if on the TV show, they give him an old man's voice. That really ruins my opinion about him. So I guess, over all, I have to say that it would kinda ruin the EU.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually, Sluggo raises a good point. How WILL the EU be affected by the TV show. If its really going to be set 25 years after the Battle of Endor, then that means its post-Vong War too. Hamill, Lucas and Smith say that they don't really want to do EU stories, but I think that they're going to find that this show is going to be heavily influnced by the EU out of necessity in order to maintain in-universe continuity.

8. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    not only that, a large portion of their core fanbase will not want the EU they already know and like ruined. while I would certainly still watch the show, it was the EU that brought me into Star Wars in the first place, and I would hate to see it marginalized even more than it already has been by purists.

9. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    It depends on when exactly the show will take place becuase there are enough holes that at SW TV show could fill up because the books don't bother with it. That's the potential, however it could also ruin EU as well.

Now if the TV show were to take place Post-NJO in place of Ep. 7-9... =P~

10. ExarKunPJ

ExarKunPJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    That's weird cos I heard a rumour that Lucas was gonna make a new trilogy in that era. Maybe your version is right though becasue it probably would be less expensive than a whole new trilogy.

We'll just have to wait...

11. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    I think it would be best to set in the Old Republic Era around TPM, about a few decades before hand. The earliest big EU event in that time is really only the Stark Hyperspace Wars, and the show can be set before or after that with room to spare.

In that way, there's room to create new storylines and characters and take advantage of tension growing, i.e. corruption in the Senate, Trade Federation growing more powerful. And of course what audiences would want, more JEDI action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.