main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Possible theories of why Luke was in hiding

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Prisic Duskleap, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    He tried to restart the jedi and something went wrong, he goes looking for the first temple ouf the jedi to figure things out. he is going back to first principals. He was hoping to uncover some information on that planet that would allow him to be a better teacher.

That's my theory at least.

2. The Jaded Irk

The Jaded Irk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 14, 2014
    Perhaps he still hasn't mastered A)- landing his ship on dry land and B)- lifting his ship out of the drink using the Force?

3. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    That would explain the look he gave Rey at the end.

"Look, I know you came here to seek a teacher, but do you, by chance, know how to rise my ship from the bottom of the ocean?"

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Not to defeat Kylo Ren. To counter Snoke. Luke is the last Jedi. He sought the Last Jedi Temple to gain the knowledge he needs when the Force Awakens and it is time for him to make his move.

oncafar likes this.
  5. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I hope Luke, the last Jedi, has gathered his info/peace he was looking for and is ready to engage Kylo Ren and Smoke. What it was he was seeking should be explained and I look forward to it. I believe it is why the dark side continues to interfere with the Jedi's plans. With evil always present it is the nature of the Force and life. The first Jedi temple will show that the teachings of the Jedi are sacred and are not to be shared with just anyone. Especially not a Republic who may not always share their ideals. A new Jedi order should be a sacred place away from all politics and maybe just include a few members who can actually pass the test to knighthood.

6. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah, I think the point of Luke finding the first Jedi temple was to figure out where to begin. Getting back to the beginning in order to make a fresh start. He needs to reset the Jedi Order in order to avoid the mistakes of the Jedi from the past. Perhaps he tried to rebuild the Jedi Order without first understanding the fundamental problems that caused the destruction of the Jedi (Darth Vader) in the first place. Before he can pass on what he has learned, he must learn what went wrong with the passing on from the past.

oncafar likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    It's his own mistakes that lead to his order being destroyed not the Jedi of the past.

He couldn't last 25 years while they lasted many thousands of years.

What went wrong there was that the Jedi weren't ready for the Sith evolving into patient planners.

Vader had little to do with the destruction of the Jedi. The revenge of the Sith was Sidious' not Anakin's.

theraphos and Vialco like this.
  8. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Possible theories:
    1) He is mediating, and training by himself. He needs to get as strong as possible if he is going to train more Jedi or fight the First Order.
    2) There is some hidden piece of knowledge at the First Jedi Temple
    3) He has no ship in working condition to leave on
    4) He's all but given up
    5) Locating him was a test for a new Jedi

Zenwalker and whostheBossk like this.
  9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    My theory is that Luke is in hiding to not only ensure his own safety and survival, but to allow the Force to send him a candidate to help him restore the balance.

Him being in hiding and being a hermit is similar to Obi/Ben's life on Tatooine, and what Yoda was doing on Dagobah. Obi Wan was chilling and keeping an eye on Luke, waiting for a sign from the Force that it was time for Luke to start his training to destroy/redeem Anakin and take down the Sith. This could very well be what Luke is doing. Even though his Jedi Order failed and fell, he knows someone out there is Force sensitive and has the potential to help him take down Ren and Snoke. The Force just has to bring him/her to him.

oncafar likes this.
  10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    There is no reason to think the Force is out of balance after it's restoration by the destruction of the Sith by Anakin.

Of course what exactly is meant by Balance of the Force?

When the Sith ruled or terrorized the galaxy before the Force was not out of balance. Why was that? Because if it was then there would have been a Chosen One appear at that time.

So it wasn't needed then.

Lor San Tekka says that without the Jedi there can be no balance in the Force.

The Sith and what they did are the key here. If the Force in a natural state is equal to both the Light and Dark then over time one side or the other gains advantage at times but also loses it. There is a natural shifting back and forth.

What the Sith did is create an unnatural shift to the Dark. ie put the Force out of balance. Obviously lots of bad thing happened well before the saga as we see it but as far as we know that didn't create any problematic out of balance shift.

So what we have in TFA is the balance may be to the Dark Side but it's not because of any unnatural shifting and nothing that can't be corrected by the Jedi Order.

I don't think we should get some definitive answer though. Best to keep it vague-ish and allow multiple interpretations to be applied.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Yeah, yeah, great... a lightsaber. Whatever. Do you happen to have a ship, though?"

oncafar and Victoria Skywalker like this.
  12. Victoria Skywalker

Victoria Skywalker Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2017
    midlife crisis

GregMcP and JediMasterSven like this.
  13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I know there's no real cannon answer to what the Force being out of balance means, but I always guessed it was to even the slate of power. Anakin is born when Jedi are ruling in large numbers and there are only two Sith. I figured Anakin technically brought balance to the force when he destroyed the Jedi, leaving 2 (major) Jedi and there being 2 Sith. That is balance, that is equal.

So right now Ren and Snoke are basically Sith, even if they don't call themselves that, and Luke is the last Jedi. Rey could be that second Jedi so the Force is in balance and then it's a coin toss of who walks out ontop. Or maybe it'll revolve around Luke realizing that grey Jedi are balance themselves, and therefore Kylo was on the right path before he tried to give himself fully to the Darkside by killing Han.

I doubt the prophecy will make any impact on the storyline, and I doubt it'll be about balance, I moreso just was originally comparing the situations of Obi/Ben and Yoda waiting in exile for the Jedi to come to them. I kinda think that's what Luke has been doing.

14. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I want to have a theory on this, but it just feels like there's too much unknown past: why and when did Han and Leia separate. Why did Ben feel so disappointed with Han? What was the nature of Ben's seduction? Have Luke and Snoke had any previous confrontations? Where was Luke when Ben 'turned' and destroyed Luke's Jedi order? Did they have a confrontation? Has Luke spoken to Leia since?

Han says in Force Awakens that Luke felt responsible and walked away from everything. How has Han come about that interpretation of events?

It's just impossible.

But, if what Han says is true, then I think Luke came to a point where he felt he couldn't do anything else. A family member and direct descendant of Vader has been seduced and betrayed him - how can he turn that round if he's not only up against Kylo but Snoke as well? He presumably feels beaten and withdrawing to the origins of the Jedi must feel like his only option. Lawrence Kasdan, when talking about TFA, talks about Star Wars being based on the idea of fulfilling one's life potential, and he specifically mentions 'is it too late', which most likely seems to be a reference to Luke, given his age and life circumstances. So I wonder if TLJ will see Luke resisting the call to return because he feels he can't do any more, but ultimately something will inspire him to return to the fight.

15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    The Force was out of and going out of balance with thousands of Jedi. They actually contributed it because of their actions that they got trapped into by Sidious.The destruction of the Jedi was a vengeful act but the Force was already out of balance by then. Sidious could have had them arrested and the Force would still be to the Dark Side.

That would take away from the ST then because it really should tie itself into Episodes I through VI. The prophecy itself doesn't matter as that was Anakin's and his destiny if he decided to choose it (which he did).

There is no reason for it to be said outright as such because that is not how the movies work. That is for us as the observers to talk about.

16. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i think the force in balance means the spectrum of light to dark is the way it's "supposed to be" for optimal galactic functioning. things die, things are born. things are created, things are destroyed. and the fabric of existence is maintained through a balance between creation and destruction.

when the jedi say the force is out of balance, they mean they sense the dark side growing, the sith, etc. whatever their view of "balance" may not match what the force should be. they may want far less darkness, or they may not... but the point is that they are there to defend the light and so of course they would strive to diminish the darkness and of course their sense of "balance" in the force must reflect that.

when the sith say there is a disturbance in the force (it's out of balance) they mean there is a threat to their power. often this threat is coming from the light side, but sometimes it's a rival on the dark side. naturally their interpretation is often more singularly selfish and about achieving their own ends. i am not sure they care about the cosmic balance so much. (there are exceptions ofc)

i think that vader actually did have concern about the cosmic balance, which was one of the reasons he seemed to actually not be a fan of the death star. he wouldn't dare launch an actual objection to it, but you can argue he allowed its destruction. the plans did end up "back in their hands" in anh just like vader said they would. and then he let the plans get to the rebellion, giving them a chance to destroy the death star. and i think he wanted this to be a fight between dark and light; that the risk involved was welcomed. and i think it's because part of him actually cares about the cosmic balance in a way the emperor doesn't.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Luke fell in love and he didn't want to go down the same path Anakin did, so he exiled himself from the galaxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMGalenMarek likes this.
  18. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Two words: tax evasion.

19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    1) After losing his wife and daughter he struggled with Dark Side issues and thought it best to go into isolation to protect others.

2) After losing his wife and daughter he became convinced his daughter may not be dead and learned of something at the first Jedi temple that might help him locate his daughter.

3) He's heard Snoke is ancient and powerful and that the Jedi at the first temple faced him and entombed him and wants to know how to do it again.

4) He's wondering whether it's all worth it after so much struggle and searching for a higher purpose and meaning to life.

Immortiss and GMGalenMarek like this.
  20. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Good point his padawans needed their wages so the jedi union revolted and he fled.

nightangel and JediMasterSven like this.
  21. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015

I find this post the most plausible. Simple, yet all make sense. Bravo.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  22. master_ kuato

master_ kuato Jedi Padawan

Feb 7, 2017
    When was Luke?

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

When Vader said "You have a sister," Luke was dancing right on the edge of the Dark side. It's something of a miracle that he was able to pull himself back to the light after he cut off Vader's hand in his berserker rage.

24. master_ kuato

master_ kuato Jedi Padawan

Feb 7, 2017
    Showing emotion doesn't mean you're on the verge of falling. Obi Wan got angry (TPM). Rey got angry and didn't turn.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Pay attention to the look on Luke's face when he stopped fighting, looked at Vader's stump and then his own cyberhand. That expression makes it crystal clear to me that he realized how close he had just come to losing himself to the Dark side.

oncafar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.