main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Possible?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GrayRacer, Jul 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayRacer

GrayRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    Is it a possibility to be able to "upgrade" a Rubie's costumes?

What i mean is, would it be possible and look good if someone bought the Dooku cape and since its so thin if added an inner lining would it look decent?

Or, buy the anakin costume and use the top but wear different pants and use real boots instead of the boot tops.

I need your guys opinions. Its my heroin.

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes, it's possible but it'll greatly depend on the fabric used for the Rubies costume in the first place. I mean what's the point IMHO to upgrade the costume when it's as thin that you have to use expansive fabrics to upgrade it? Make as well make the whole thing from scratch.

Just my 0.02 as I haven't feel that many Rubies costumes to comment (only do so for the kids' TPM Anakin & OB1 costumes).

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I'm inclined to agree with DarthEagle... the time and trouble it would take to upgrade a Rubie's costume to the point where it looks good would be better spent making a costume from scratch.
    Part of the problem with the Rubie's stuff is the crapolicious fabric they use, but another part is the skimpy cut of the cloaks and capes -- even if you were to line it (a job which just sounds terrifying to me, given the fabrics and quality of construction involved with these things) it still wouldn't have that sweep and fullness that a jedi's robe or Dooku's cape should have.

-sg

4. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Isn't dooku's cape just a normal vampire-looking cape with a chain instead of a tie? You could just as easily get a pattern for a vampire cape, make it out of a good heavy cotton, and go get a short length of small chain from Lowe's or someplace to make it. Sounds easier and better-looking to me, and it'd fit you better.

Good Luck!

5. GrayRacer

GrayRacer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    True dat. To all three of you. Good points.

I should just invest in something really nice.

6. CoruscantCrisis

CoruscantCrisis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2001
    on a side note. Is the Rubies deluxe Jedi robe worth buying for $40?

7. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Crisis, nope.

8. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    $40 would get you more than enough good material and a pattern. Find someone who knows how to sew (mom, sister, girlfriend), and owe them a favor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.