main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post 1 gripe about one of the original trilogy films

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by sdj, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    One grip? Luke's plan to rescue Han just really sucked. I don't care if it worked, it really sucked.

2. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    Not enough screentime for the space battle in ROTJ. I realize that it's because of all that's going on but, jeez, at least be equal. And that's another thing, the battle at the end of ROTJ switches way too fast.

Luke and Vader see eachother face-to-face for the first time. Cut-to: Wedge and Lando speeding by the camera to totally ruin the sad atmosphere.

Sorry I posted two gripes, but they had to be together to make sense.

3. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    My only gripes are a few effects things. the Rancor scene, mostly. And the matte painting of the Falcon in ROTJ. They should fix that with CGI. I wouldn't mind if they had kept more of the Yoda/Luke training sequences than they did in ESB. Kinda wish Boba Fett hadn't went out like such a punk, but hey, the Fett boys tend to die pretty brutal deaths. And they need to have Ian McDiarmid in ESB. They could redo the Jabba scene in the ANH SE too. Maybe instead of Jabba's being there, he could be on a moving hologram like Darth Sideous in TPM. Then Han wouldn't have to step on his tail, because, to be honest, he probably would have had Han killed on the spot for doing that. Unless he wanted the money that bad.

Ok, guess I went overboard. Really the only thing I would want fixed is the Rancor scene.

4. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    the uselessness of the stormtropper armor all it does is make ur vision worse its not like it stops lasers hell it dose'nt even ewok arrows.LOL!

5. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    I love all the original trilogy films but the scene that always annoyed me was the way the Rebel Meeting ends in ROTJ. Luke walks in and says "I'm with you too" and then for no reason the whole meeting is dismissed without another word!

You look around and everyone is acting as if the meeting has been closed. Hobbie didn't even get the chance to make some cynical remark about the whole Death Star attack plan! ;)

6. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    wait, wait, wait...

Lando blows up the Death Star?

7. Aurasingstheblues

Aurasingstheblues Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Who the hell is Hobbie, Delorean?

8. Darth_Fromupnorth

Darth_Fromupnorth Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    It's been mentioned twice, but can I please, pretty pretty please gripe about Jedi Rocks? It's an embarrasment to the whole saga. Ach! Bad CGI, terrible song.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yoda's lazy eye in ROTJ. Its always bugged me. I can't even catch what he is saying during his death scene because I'm tring to figure out what the heck his other eye is looking at. I think the puppet broke.

10. redleader92055

redleader92055 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2003
    ob1's lightsaber "going out" while fighting darth

11. amien

amien Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2002
    Luke and Leia being twins. I never liked that twist. I suppose if you anaylze it to death it is fine; but I feel like it's a tacked on surprise that never has a payoff.

The Rancor! Really, it is so fake. Even as a kid I thought, "Man, is that thing fake or what?"

The whole ROTJ "let's blow up the Death Star AGAIN!" scenes. I always fast forward them. The Luke/Vader/Palpatine scenes are so much better.

12. BosskRulestheWorld

BosskRulestheWorld Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2003
    Not enough Bossk! Not just talking about Empire Strikes Back, but in the whole trilogy in general. More Bossk can only be a good thing.

13. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "I think the puppet broke."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

14. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Hobbie is the guy who says "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer??" in ESB.

15. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    My biggest complaint is how quickly the "heroes" get promoted. Come on!

Luke, fresh off of a sand ball and with no flying experience gets made a pilot in the most important battle of the rebellion at that point? If I were any one of those people in the audience passed over for promotion by this greenhorn, I'd be supremely pissed! "Forget this rebellion stuff! I'm sending my app to the Imperial Academy tomorrow!"

And let's not forget General Solo, General Calrissian and General Binks! (yeah, I know he's PT, but same thing). I can accept General Kenobi. OB1 is a fairly high-ranking Jedi at this point in the PT, but the rest just suck.

Just once, I would like to see a hero actually work his/her way up through the ranks, a la Private Solo! "SOLO! DROP AND GIVE ME 20!"

16. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The hologram Emperor. They really need to replace him.

17. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    ANH:

Greedo shooting first in the Special Edition.

ESB:

Luke screaming like a baby when he takes a header down the core in the Special Edition.

RotJ:

I'll just be lazy and go with Ewoks in general.

18. FBSynbios1

FBSynbios1 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2003
    'the uselessness of the stormtropper armor '
    I believe they can be effective up to a certain shot angle, but a full front shot couldnt be stopped by any (humanly-) usable armor. But facing sharpshooter Leia in ANH(she never misses even ONE shot), I'd rather wear no armor to have a better chance :D
    As for my gripes:
    ANH:
    Grand Moff Tarkin :(( We want him back! lol
    ESB:
    By far 'Luke's' scream...I always turn my TV on mute for that scene :p
    ROTJ:
    The saga ending in a forest? Oh cmon...The SE helped that a bit out but yet...

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Why do you assume it was Palpatine's scream? It's quite possible the scream was recorded for ESB but never used, and instead was used in ROTJ. It makes more sense to me then just sticking in Palp's scream like that...

well, it sounds an awful lot like Palpatine/McDiarmid to me!

as for my gripe; the Special Edition!

oh, more specific? Well then, the cgi Jabba, Greedo shooting first, the Sarlacc's beak, "Jedi Rocks", "alert my stardestroyer...", Luke's scream, and probably some more...
    The only thing I liked about the SE's is the ending, where we get to see Coruscant and all that..

though I did like "Yub yub" ;)

as for the original edition; the matte lines in the Rancor scene (The Rancor kicked some serious behind, the only thing I didn't like was the mattelines), "I'll see you in hell" "What the hell are you doing" "He'll have hell to pay" (there's no hell in Star Wars), Obi-Wan's lightsaber shorting out..

whew, that's all I believe.. :)

20. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The worst thing: the ESB chimp emperor! :eek:

Another thing: R2 & 3PO (ANH) desert scenes, most boring scenes of all cinema!! :eek:

21. Admiral Piett

Admiral Piett Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 1998
    ANH - Obi-Wan calling Vader "Darth." It sounds just painful now.

ESB - Starts a little slow for me. The wampa stuff never did much for me.

ROTJ - It never seemed too likely to me that our heroes would be eaten by the Ewoks and the saga would end there and then. Kind of a silly development that doesn't go anywhere.

Personally, I kinda like the ESB Emperor. I find the voice of the emperor in ROTJ to be a little too whiny. The ESB Emperor sounds very powerful and very scary.

22. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    The Jabba's Sail Barge Sequence is what jumps into my mind right now...this scene was supposed to introduce us to Luke the Jedi, it could have been one of the most enjoyable & important battle sequences of the SAGA without the following:

- Luke's wild Saber swinging
    - Luke sticks his hand straight in the air so it can be shot
    - Luke & Leia Swing on a rope (again) & that rope is attached to what???
    - Han's muscular toes to hold Lando as he falls into the pit. They tried to save this one twice, once with "Grab me Chewie" & then with CGI rope
    - Boba's lame death & no skillz fighting
    - Sarlacc burps but beak is gone (SE)
    - Changing of Han's line from "Trust Me"
    - Skiff just happened to have "magnet droid picker uppers"
    - Sound/Dialog is not synched when Luke says "Come on!"

*reads own sig*

Oops, sorry. But do you see my point?

23. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The end of "ROTJ" - specifically, the fact that Luke turns Vader, and Vader kills the Emperor.

It would have been infinitely much better if Vader killed the Emperor, then turned Luke to the Dark Side, making way for a sequel trilogy the likes of which we can only dream about :D

24. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    The plastic feel of RotJ. It doesn't fit with the grit of the first two films.

25. Psycho_Fett

Psycho_Fett Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2003
    The only thing I can gripe about is The Fett's death?I mean, getting hit with a stick, which just happens to crank up his jetpack and send him headfirst into Jabba's skiff! That was just lame. At least Lucas got his s@#t together and brought him back from the Sarlac. Oh Yeah, I also hate Luke's cry-baby scream in ESB SE. I know these were said before, but I couldn't help it. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.