Post-Con Depression

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration VI, VII, Europe II' started by chucknotsteve, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
    Yup, I'm going to the Star Wars weekends too. It won't be anything like CV was though. :(
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Come to Los Angeles, I'll show you around ;)

I miss CV too, it was a great experience, tons of fun. I enjoyed all 5 Celebrations I've been to but 5 more than 4 for sure, oddly, because I was in a strange place with 4, even though it was two blocks from home. In some ways, despite it being awesome when a convention is just TWO blocks from your house, and costs a lot less money, there is no real vacation. You aren't GOING anywhere, nothing changes, you're just walking to a place right next to where you walk to all of the time, and it's somehow a bit anticlimatic. It's still fun and it was still wonderful but it's just a lot different. I also had nobody to go with. My dad came down, which was really nice of him, but it's not his thing so it wasn't like he stayed there all day each day.

I went with a long-time friend for CV, so it was really fun. I consider myself very fortunate that for me, back to "regular work" is back to filmmaking, which I love, so it's not quite the same as going back to a desk job or some job I'm not too fold of. I did take quite a lot of time off in August, though, it was a fun month, got to hang out with two of my best friends who don't live in my city. Then September was a very tough, very involved month, and that has continued into October. So I think back to the last really fun time I had and that was Celebration V, which was just really awesome. It kind of re-ignited my love for Star Wars and reminded me that I have a debt to the saga as well. I get to busy with filmmaking and my career that I forget what got me here, but it was Star Wars that got me interested in filmmaking at all and I have it to thank for my progression in the industry. I don't want to forget that.
  3. FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Knight

star 1
    I realized I'd kind of gotten over it, and the boost in STAR WARS excitement it gave me. I was kind of let down that people stopped talking about it, but I guess there wasn't much else to write after a couple of weeks. Looking at pictures other people took almost left me with a sense like I missed out on the thing even though I was there, because there were so many things I either didn't see or in which I didn't participate. I had to stop looking at pictures and videos, including my own, and just rely on my memories and tell myself I got to see what I went there to see: George Lucas, Mark Hamill, Last Tour to Endor, and more. Fresh from a gained appreciation for "The Clone Wars" series at the convention, I think it would have helped if Season 2 DVD had come out before the 3rd season started instead of the end of this month. What kind of marketing decision was that? It could just be that I haven't had much free time to devote to STAR WARS since August.
  4. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    A bad marketing decision. I was thinking the same thing -- I wanted the second season on Blu-ray BEFORE the third season, not end of October. It's really not that difficult, every other company gets it right from Smallville, Supernatural, Two and a Half Men, and Chuck to tons of shows I don't even follow. Clone Wars just had a messed up schedule.
  5. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    Well, a bit of an update on the friend issue - A few weeks later, he had some serious trouble with his son and out of desperation, though a mutual acquaintance, he got a hold of me. Over the last month we've been 'cautiously seeing each other' a couple times a week.

I don't know if it'll ever be anything more than 'cautious' (on my end) but I'm glad he's at least a part of my life again.
  6. Baco_Sapan Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's been 4 months since Celebration V and I still haven't really gotten over how awesome it was. Hands down it was by FAR the most fun thing I did this year. I still have random moments where I'm just riding the train home or to work and I'll think about Celebration V and instantly try looking up pictures or videos online of people who attended it. So, I'm still not really over it and I don't think I will be for quite some time...God I wish this thing went down more then once every 3 years! Not freakin cool man!

On the note of doing anything differently...I think I probably wouldn't have spent so much time in the panels. I feel as though I didn't get enough time to just explore, and see all the different booths and all the awesome costumes everyone was wearing, I see a bunch of videos on youtube of all the different things that were going on and I'm here like "...Where the heck was I when this went down?!", lol. Clearly I think I spent a little to much time in line for the panels. So that's a mistake I don't want to make next time. I mean don't get me wrong. I was so glad to have seen Mark Hammil, and the guys from Robot Chicken, and everything else I got to see. But I definetly would've loved to have explored a whole lot more. Cause it felt like the day went by so fast and I was missing so much that by the time I got out of the panel, all the halls weren't as crowded because I spent a good 2-5 hours waiting to get into something and attending it and everyone was starting to leave. That along with meeting some celeberties and getting some autographs/pics with them. I think part of it also had to do with the fact that I was only there for two days. Had I been there for more then that, I feel as though I prolly would've been able to explore and do a whole lot more. That's why next time I'm DEFINETLY going all 4 days, lol.
  7. FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay how many Celebration V dreams have you had? I can think of about five, including one last night where I was at a Celebration VI.
  8. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    No dreams, but we have plenty of CV stuff (and from other Celebrations) displayed throughout the house to remind us of those great times every day.
  9. FRAGGLE_ROCKER Jedi Knight

star 1
    I still keep my badge hanging on the wall.
  10. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    I've found myself going through people's CV albums on FB a lot recently.
  11. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I still have my badge hanging up as well. :D
  12. JediJustin Jedi Master

star 4
    I look at this pic whenever the Celebration blues strike...:cool:

[image=http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g419/JustinL81/Star%20Wars/CelebrationBadges.jpg]
  13. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    I was there today for a con. It all seemed so sad and shabby. No Death Star, No Jabba.......

14. j-jawa3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why is everyone having post-convention depression? There are a lot of things that you can do around with other fans in your area that can alleviate this. Get involved in a Star Wars club (hopefully there is one in your area), make costumes, save money for the NEXT Celebration (and be serious about it), and if possible--go to OTHER conventions in your area! As for me, any post-convention depression came from the way CV was put on. These new people (Reed Exhibitions) hopefully will listen to the suggestions of the fans.

I am glad that the Celebrations are spaced 3 years apart--because there is time to save money, wonder where it will be held, wonder who the guest list will be THIS time, and hope that it will be run like the Conventions in the past--which were very enjoyable.

I am looking forward (in a couple of years) to C6. I'm going to be enthusiastic about it, and hope to have lots of fun!

(Here's wishing for LA or Indianapolis for the next Celebration!)
  15. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Don't jinx it... Celebration VI may yet be in 2012. ;)
  16. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    If this was a facebook post I would put a lot of "like" to this post.

I totally agree. Celebrations are the top of the conventions, but they wouldn't be as fun if they were too often. Personally I'm hoping for a US celebration in 2013, but I hope that there will be a Jedi-Con in Germany in 2012, a totally different flavor from celebrations, but when it comes to "fun" they are up there, simply because they are so relaxed, in how many big cons can you take a beer and sit and listen to the panels?

I wouldn't mind a Celebration Europe in 2012 either.
  17. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm...Celebration Europe would be the perfect event to use my EU passport for the first time!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.