main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Post crawl opening shot

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JDN21, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Sorry if there is already another thread on this...

Seeing as the opening shots in SW films have provided some really iconic moments, what did you make of the opening sequence of TFA?

I liked the use of the silhouette of the Star Destroyer cutting through the screen to establish some context, and I loved the up close and personal action of the Stormtroopers in their troop transporter - lights flickering, radio chat. It really got the action going quickly and created a tense atmosphere. Really nicely done.

trongate and WatTamborWoo like this.
  2. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    The flickering Stormtrooper scene was brilliant.

trongate likes this.
  3. Jubz

Jubz Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    I thought the opening of TFA was superb. Well thought through and gets the roller coaster moving straight away.

My favourite is still Episode III however, the BAM BAM... BAM BAM... of the soundtrack and the noise/tracking of the two jedi fighters before the reveal of the full battle.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Love that opening silhouette shot, absolutely brilliant.

5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The whole opening scene was great!

6. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    The pan down and eclipse of the planet by the Star Destroyer and then the drop ships exiting the ship is my favourite shot of the film.

7. HellasLEAF-Jedi

HellasLEAF-Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Apr 25, 2009
    The opener was fantastic but I have to agree with Jubz that Ep. III opening can't be topped.

trongate likes this.
  8. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I did not like it. Thought it was the worse one so far.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I loved it. It's up there with the opening shot from A New Hope, which I don't think can be beat for its sheer historical value and the impact it had upon initial release, which can still be felt when watching it 38 years later.

trongate, Xinau, solo77 and 1 other person like this.
  10. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I liked it a lot, so simple but very effective. :cool:

I've never though about ranking them, but ANH is definitely first (so iconic) and maybe this one could be second? The opening shot of AOTC is it's only redeemable feature, I've always liked the upside down twist.

11. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I wasn't impressed. I felt the dark-on-dark image didn't work that well. I think it will look especially poor in a home/TV setting without the benefit of a darkened theater. The planet is light, but it's really hard to distinguish anything about the Star Destroyer or the drop ships. That's probably the point, but it didn't work for me.

I liked the concept of the opening and, as a vocal proponent of more screen-time for regular ground troops in Star Wars, I was pleased with the idea of starting with a Stormie assault... but I didn't like the execution. The flickering light bothered me because it didn't make sense to me. I guess my mind is too expectant of a more steady-light (and red, at that...) situation of a real-life airborne drop or no-light situation of a real-life air assault. Yes, I know, I shouldn't apply real-life to Star Wars but my eyes and mind latch onto these things... Same way I was mentally critiquing the landings in Attack of the Clones as if it were a modern real-world air assault. [face_blush]

trongate likes this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I did like the opening shot. Probably my third favourite of the SW films so far. The ROTS one will take some beating, though. Those war drums get me every time.

trongate and HellasLEAF-Jedi like this.
  13. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    After the iconic ANH opening shot, I thought this was the best. The darkness of the Star Destroyer eclipsing the light of the planet--strong symbolism and a nice take on the standard opening.

Jedi Daniel, Evetssteve10 and solo77 like this.
  14. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

No offense at all - I will never judge someone who says they like something especially when they aren't taking a dump on this great film when they do it, but ANH, TFA have the 2 best openings in the saga. The one in ROTS seemed like it was thrown in there for not much reason and didn't provide any.... Substance/symbolism/coherency and was a messy CGI mess. But like I said, your points come across soooo much more valid because you did not dump on this film to do it. I can accept it when people say this film didn't fit their taste but what I hate is when people talk about the quality of the movie because that is not debatable. I will say that ROTS is a pretty decent movie though outside of some glaring problems. But thank you for your intelligent post

Darth-Seldon and solo77 like this.
  15. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    ANH is the best opening scene of all time for me. This one was okay though. :)

Let me also add that the reason this opening scene is so significant to me is that there has NEVER been an opening scene in any movies I have seen that had such an impact in my mine that said... "Holy Crap! This is gonna be cool!"

It set the stage/tone for the whole movie and gave me the impression I was about to witness something special. NO other movie (Star wars or not) has very done that to me. It was and IS the most epic opening scene ever!!! (For me anyway)

trongate and solo77 like this.
  16. trongate

trongate Jedi Master

Nov 5, 2003
    this x1ooo

17. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I thought the ROTS opening had a power to it - you didn't know 100% who was flying those 2 ships, but you had a strong hunch it was 2 of the best warriors in the galaxy--and good friends--Obi-Wan and Anakin, fighting side by side as always. And of course it was them. It highlighted the tragedy of the rupture of their relationship by the end of the film.

18. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    Opening was fantastic in all regards.

19. VibrantCybran

VibrantCybran Jedi Padawan

Oct 29, 2013
    Loved it. It was different, nicely done. I'm another one who loves the RotS opening though....despite not liking the PT all that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.