main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc" : The West Wing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 28, 2014.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I can't believe how much of it is exactly the same, 10 years later, with what they're talking about and what we're hearing in this election season...

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    heels1785 -- from the Reddit AMA apparently:

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I love both Aaron Sorkin and Mountain Dew Code Red.

Edit - oh, haha! I just got that. DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?!

mavjade and dp4m like this.
  4. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I was just watching the episode where they interview Mendoza and Sam makes the argument that in the next 2 decades the main issue will be privacy. That was season 1. It's actually scary how current this show remains.

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I think that's the creepiest example or the show really predicting things, but it really is kinda scary how current it is. I've only watched it for the first time recently and I spent the whole show thinking "How are we still dealing with this 16 years later?" or "Wow, that predicted the future!"

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

I have loved this show for years and that was the scene that solidified my love for it. That was a pure, unadulterated verbal ass-kicking and I loved it.

Jedi Ben and heels1785 like this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This show was rather poignant, wasn't it?

"I'm the President of the United States, not the President of the people who agree with me. And by the way, if the left has a problem with that, they should vote for somebody else. "

I mean. Here we are years and years later and that particular point is ringing out in the current election.

heels1785 and mavjade like this.
  8. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    One of my favorite moments:

Especially poignant when Obama had to do the same and we saw how that went as well.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    So it's been a week. Need to crysmile? This will do the trick.

Anyone interested in banding together and going through the whole series? Maybe just a couple of episodes per week (okay, like 30) at your own pace? Then post about how awesome they were here?

mavjade , DarthIntegral and Yodaminch like this.
  10. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I guess I've already started. My former housemate was here for the weekend, we needed comfort, so we ate crappy food and watched The West Wing. She only ever made it through Season 2 (it just fell off her radar) so we decided to start from the beginning.

She had to leave really early Monday morning, she said "One more" Sunday night, but after we watched that one, I realized we were up to Celestial Navigation and convinced her we had to watch just one more. Nothing will cheer you up more than a secret plan to fight inflation.

Yodaminch and heels1785 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "So... you're not going to tell us what the secret plan to fight inflation is?"

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    "Are you telling me that not only did you invent a secret plan to fight inflation, but now you don't support it?"

Yep, see I feel better already!

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I just finished the episode for which this thread is named, and it really got me thinking. I wonder how it will change Mr. Trump's approach to the office once he has made the phone call to the family and/or spouse of a deceased member of the military.

I imagine that, on that call, he will realize once and for all that this is not all a big promotional opportunity.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    One can only hope. I think that's one of the hardest things the President has to do. Sending people to war, you can separate yourself from it in some ways, they are faceless people (not that I think the President should think of it that way) but to call a grieving family, there's no separating yourself from that.

I love that episode, it's a great example of how the show can be hilarious and heartbreaking in one episode.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely. Nothing better than "You are a cattle rustler, Missus Landingham" when she swipes his Nebraska steaks. :p

Yodaminch likes this.
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Honestly? I don't think it'll phase him one bit. Or he'll have Pence do it.

Yodaminch likes this.
  17. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Really? This will be the first time he is directly responsible for possible loss of human life. I would certainly hope he takes it seriously.

But I also don't want to pollute talk of this awesome series with junk about the current dumpster fire entering the White House in January.[face_not_talking]

Most recently watched the Secret Plan to fight inflation episode. My favorite line was when CJ is asking Sam why Mendoza refused the breathalyzer and Toby answers "Because he's a crazy man who's out to ruin my life" [face_laugh]

heels1785 and mavjade like this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Watched "Mr. Willis Of Ohio" last night, probably one of my 2-3 favorite episodes of the series. True story, Mr. Willis, the outstanding actor Al Fann, is still going strong at 91 years old.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think this seems like a great idea, Heels.

Though I may wait a bit to start a rewatch because I've been trying to get my parents to watch the show for a while. They love Veep and have shown some interest in checking out the more dramedy version with WW. This holiday season might be the perfect time for it.

mavjade and heels1785 like this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I ****ing love this show so goddamned much. Aaron Sorkin is one of my personal heroes/inspirations (minus the cocaine part). Favorite part would have to be toward the ending of season 2 (I think) when Jeb Bartlett has a breakdown in church and crisis of faith due to a death of a loved one. Fantastic acting on Sheen's part.

mavjade and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Two Cathedrals is the name of that episode, IATI, season 2 finale - I think it's one of the most iconic episodes in the history of television. You'll be hard pressed to find a diehard West Wing fan who doesn't consider Two Cathedrals the best episode of the series - it is absolutely magnificent, especially that scene you reference.

Excellent, solojones! That sounds like a good idea. I think it's great that Netflix has kept it for so long, and I hope they keep it forever - it's a show that should be as accessible as possible.

And I really like Veep, too - started watching it as a fan of Tony Hale from Arrested Development, but really love the whole cast now.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, Mr. Willis of Ohio is fantastic. Though it's probably one of the most glaring examples of dramatic license in the show. Mr. Willis would have never replaced his wife, there would have been a special election. But it's such a good moment, I really don't care. I especially like when Toby admits to Mr. Willis that he was using him, and Mr. Willis said he knew, but Toby made a good argument.

Two Cathedrals is my objective favorite, in that I think it's objectively good TV, and that most people couldn't argue that. Noel is my subjective favorite. I mean, it's also a great episode (and Bradley Whitford won an Emmy for it) but I can see how most wouldn't put it above Two Cathedrals.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    To be seasonally appropriate, we watched "Indians in the Lobby" last night. Because I can never get tired of watching President Bartlett call the Butterball Hotline.

mavjade and dp4m like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If ever there was a year for Bartlett's rant at God in Two Cathedrals, 2016 is it.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  25. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    The West Wing Weekly podcast guys were asked to fancast a gender swapped West Wing. This is what they came up with:

[​IMG]

Who else needs this in their life? I certainly do.

heels1785 likes this.