main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Post Nuke/Apocolyptic

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Darth-Kevin-Thomas, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    This is one of my favorite Genre's to read. I currently wrote a full length screen play about a post nuke story for class and im re-writing it next semester.

Any way, before i got into the full swing of re-writes, i was wondering what good books are out there that deal with this genre. One of my Fav's has alwys been Pete Franks Alas Babylon but i havn't had any luck really finding some really good stories to read. I want to get a feel on how other people treat this world.

And to others that like the genre what area do you like, to more "realistic" like Alas Babylon or something more to the nature of Sci Fi like Mad Max stuff.

dkt

2. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Well it's not a book, but jms's series jeremiah is a pretty good piece of post apocolyptic goodness. It is based on a series of french comics.

3. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    is that a comic it's self?

dkt

4. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle, about a comet impact in the late 70s. It follows several groups of survivors, including a senator whose entourage has set up a habitable home in California; a group of Black Muslims that are creating a new cannibal theocracy; a group of astronauts and cosmonauts who return to Earth from a mission studying the comet; and the crew of a nuclear reactor.

Also, this might not be exactly what you're looking for, but A Canticle for Liebowitz (forget the author), which follows a Catholic mission in Utah for a thousand years after a nuclear war in the 60s. The early parts would especially interest you, I think.

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Jms's jeremiah was a tv show that was on showtime for 2 years then there was a bunch of crap, jms walked, and the show ended. The comic book jeremiah was written by hubert (?).

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I just wrote about this on my blog. Don't have time to elaborate right now, so I'll just excerpt:

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I concur that Alas, Babylon is an amazing book. My father, who recommended it to me, also recommended On the Beach by Nevil Shute, though I haven't gotten around to reading that yet.

I agree that the genre is fascinating, and I think part of that is that it's often so character-driven. To a great extent the technology involved is the technology of right now, so authors are less tempted to spend so much time being flashy an "in the future." Rather, we get deep and interesting stories about people right now on the edge of human experience. Good stuff.

-Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.