main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post Proof Or Retract: Dispelling Myths Regarding EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Val,

I thought there was someone in PSA who was from LFL. Not sure. They might be allowed to comment on anything like that.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Thanks for that quote d4pm. Of special interest is

"George read the outlines for the new SW novels, but he actually read most of the comics and he gave us specific directions for the Sith in our TOTJ."

3. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    A new asking of an old question. I've read the theories here on why Jedi don't feel the Vong. Lots of fun. My question is when will we get the real answer?

To fit this thread, the truth is out there. "Yep and yep."

4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  5. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Strange that this one from Barry Norman's Film Night (broadcast 15th July 1999 on the BBC) hasn't been raised yet ;)

GL: Yeah, I'm certainly not going to worry about that, and urm, the fans, they generate their own stories, their own ideas, they have their own fantasy life that goes around the movies and that's fine but I try to keep away from all that; I don't even read the offshoot books that come out based on Star Wars.

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    [face_mischief] It's not really relevent to anything here. He's obviously, very clearly talking about this. ;) [face_devil]

7. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Rise, my friend.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    The lastest seems to revolve around how much or how little influence GL had on the decision to kill Chewie in Vector Prime.

Anyone?

9. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    I'm pretty sure the editors said they gve GL a ist of people and hetold them which oones were okay to kill off.

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Aye, but where's the proof?

11. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    This is from February 2002 Insider Shelly Shapiro inteview:

"Well, for one thing, Lucasfilm had ruled on who could die in the new series and who couldn't- and Chewie's creator himself didn't consider the Wookiee untouchable."

Don't know if that's been mentioned but there you go.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Excellent, thanks!

13. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Heres a nice little link showing that Fan impact did not effect the "material" of AotC.

Here

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    That doesn't necessarily prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Lucas was behind the acceptance. [face_mischief] As an example, if someone asked Joe Johnston if it was okay that Boba Fett died, and we later see an official LFL statement that "Boba Fett's creator himself didn't consider the Bounty Hunter untouchable," such a statement would not necessarily be wrong. Or if someone asked Frank Oz if it was okay that Yoda died, and we later see an official LFL statement that "Yoda's creator himself didn't consider the Jedi Master untouchable," such a statement would not necessarily be wrong.

Just stirring the pot a bit - merely pointing out from a certain point of view, any such a statement which doesn't include Lucas' name is not iron-clad explicit proof of his involvement.

15. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
  16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    I was referring to the Shapiro statement about Chewie's death, not yours Lah.

There's the other main answer to the same question Shapiro gave in Del Rey's old interview, Telling War Stories: An Interview With Shelly Shapiro:
      "Del Rey: It's been a little more than a year since Del Rey launched its New Jedi Order series with a bang - the death of Han Solo's partner, the Wookiee Chewbacca. How was that decision reached, and how have readers responded? Were you surprised by that response?

Shelly Shapiro: One of the major complaints I heard about the earlier STAR WARS books was that nothing ever "happened" to anyone significant: the Galaxy Far Far Away had grown so safe for our heroes that serious drama was becoming impossible. We all agreed that we needed to shake things up, and the death of a heretofore "invincible" character was the way to go. Those of us in on the initial planning sessions representatives of Lucas Licensing, Del Rey, and some authors had our individual ideas of who should be the sacrificial lamb. But word came down from on high that our choices were limited. Chewie was the character we all agreed on. Reader response was split right down the middle: sadness but appreciation for both the need for the death and the effect on the surviving characters; and total, absolute fury. I was not surprised that readers were upset I'd expected that-but I was surprised at the vehemence with which some of that anger was expressed."
    It all depends on how one views "from on high." Do I think it's reasonable to believe it was Lucas based on such statements? Certainly. Do I think such statements prove beyond any reasonable doubt it could only have been Lucas? No, I don't.

Unless someone has a valid quote which says anything to the effect of "George Lucas killed Chewbaaca," then there will always be some question.

17. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Here's something RA salvatore had to say on the subject:

RAS: Chewie's death was approved of at a higher level than the licensing division.

TF.N: How high?

RAS: How high? How high can you go in Star Wars?

TF.N: Would you say the idea originated that high?

RAS: No.

Edit: Thats from his interview on TFN.

18. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I think this is interesting:

From a 'Knights of the Old Republic'-Chat (the transcript can be found here)

Q: Does George Lucas take personal interest in the Star Wars games you guys churn up?

MikeG: It's quite amazing regarding KotOR! George was involved very early on when we were talking about setting this game so far in the past. He was really excited about the time period and the things that BioWare wanted to accomplish. Ultimately it was his thumbs up that got this game off the ground!

Kam

19. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    LFL has been saying he gets involved with most games, from a quote on the lucasarts site, and the starfighter video on the tpm dvd.

20. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I read somewhere on this forum that GL said one of his ideas for episodes 7-9 was to have aliens from another galaxy invade the GFFA. (Importance to the EU: This would make the NJO series have similarities to an old Lucas idea.) Does anyone know if this is true?

21. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    That's not how I heard it.

The producer for ESB said that 7-9 were to have luke taking on some apprentices and destroying palpatine for the last time.

I've never heard of the aliens from another galaxy angle.

22. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Valiento, I've heard that as well. That list of 9 abbreviated plots (from circa 1980) that Gary Kurtz revealed fits what you're talking about.

The thing about extra-galactic invaders (supposedly) came from Lucas sometime after 1983.

In fact, I remember the poster who mentioned the extra-galactic invaders saying that the Dark Empire trilogy and the NJO series are the best EU because they best typified GL's own intentions for the post-ROTJ GFFA.

23. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Attack of the Clones was worse than The Phantom Menace..? Riiiiggghhhttt!!!

Maybe it was. And maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

24. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
  25. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.