main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post Proof Or Retract: Dispelling Myths Regarding EU

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    [image=http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-12947/Gfx/AoD/armydk29.jpg]

[image=http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-12947/Gfx/AoD/armydk10.jpg]

[image=http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-12947/Gfx/AoD/armydk40.jpg]

"This...is my BOOM STICK!!!!"

2. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

[face_laugh]

Don't take it personally, Binary, I just think you're wrong. Either way, that's our opinions. No harm done.

3. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Kier, sorry if I was testy. I'm getting gun-shy from posting in the AOTC forum. I've gotten flamed from newbies many, many times over there.

:)

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Welcome to my world. When TPM came out I got hammered big time because I dared to say anything critical of the film. As I have always said, there is nothing like being told by a 14 year old that I didn't understand the film. Certainly AotC had its problems, but they were NOTHING comnpared to TPM's failings.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    New rumor: In either Starlog or SW-Insider, the Flanneled One actually comments on the topic of "canon."

Anyone?

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Hmmmm...at long last, eh? :D

7. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I'd love it if someone could post that interview. (I can't get those mags up here :( )

8. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    Merkurian:

Well, it's not in SW Insider, unless it's dated from earlier than 3 years ago or more. And, in that case, the LFL statement in SW Gamer would override it (since LFL is authorized by Lucas to speak on Lucas' behalf on such matters).

Can't say anything about STARLOG, but I'm highly skeptical. Did some Purist spin this yarn to you? ask them to give you an issue number.

9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, a couple of people have said something along the lines of "I read something in Starlog recently..." so until we have hard evidence, it's purist spin.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
  11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  12. Kelly

Kelly Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 30, 2001
    Does something heard directly from one of the authors's mouths during a convention panel count? I admit I have no hardcore link from this, but this is taken directly from my notes that I took at the "Question and Answer With Your Favorite Star Wars Authors" panel that was held Friday, August 9, 2002 at GenCon.

At this panel, Salvatore was asked about his experiences writing the AOTC novel. This is from my report of the panel posted on my web page, which is written up around my notes:

- Salvatore said that while working on the Attack of the Clones novel, Lucas was constantly changing the script. He would get the changes faxed to him on a Monday, and they would expect the changes by that very Wednesday. This was more or less a weekly thing.

-Salvatore also said that he had envisioned AOTC as being set over a period of months. He couldn't believe it when he found it was supposed to be set over a period of three days. He still sounded amazed by the three-day concept.

The link to my report is http://www.compufort.com/users/kimberel/gencon2002a.htm.

13. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I heard a rumour that Crystal Star was a good novel. Could someone please PPOR?

14. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Crystal Star was a good novel because I and others enjoyed it. But that doesn't mean it's going to be good novel to everyone.

15. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Sikle:
    "Fans of the films will love these continuing tales"
    From the back cover of CS (Bantam Books, UK edition 1995). The quote is credited to a UK newspaper Today, which itself no longer exists.

Note: this is not my personal opinion of CS.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually that comment is true, There are fans that love crystal star's tale. The comment never said "all" fans which, which if used would have been a fallacious modal qualifier. But as it stands the comment is true.

17. Zee Zee

Feb 19, 1999
    Technically, the quote is taken "out-of-context" because we don't have a copy of the actual transcript. It could have said:

"Not one of the fans of the film..."

Never believe or trust a quote taken out-of-context - its what makes people see crap films, read bad books, eat junk food...

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, with that kind of logic then any quote given in this thread can't be used as a quote, because the person posting their quote could be taking everything out of context, :p, therefore everyone would have to retract their statements.

I didn't take the quote out of context, as I did enjoy the crystal star. Had it said what you said, it would be fallacious anyways, as it disagreed with me, because it has a fallacious modal qualifier.

"Not one of the fans of the films...will love these continuing tales."

It would be a lie, because their exists others as well as myself, that enjoyed the story.

Not to mention LFL isn't out to make false quotes from places because there will be those that call them on it.

Want more positive reviews? They do exist, as there are people that enjoyed the story and thought it was good:

From Booklist
    With several Star Trek novels to her credit, award-winning sf veteran McIntyre ventures into the ever-popular Star Wars territory, lending a hard-science veneer to familiar themes and characters by introducing a space-bending, crystalline star. While touring the outer worlds of the New Republic, Leia and Han's children are kidnapped and taken to a remote planet by power-mad Empire loyalist Lord Hethrir. Bent on retrieving them and with a badly injured Chewbacca and the always resourceful Artoo-Detoo joining her, Leia follows a winding, hyperspace trail to an outpost of enslaved children. Meanwhile, unaware of the abduction, Han, Luke, and See-Threepio investigate rumors of lost Jedi knights by voyaging to Crseih Station, where a nearby black hole and an orbiting crystal star put them in constant mortal danger. There Leia's and Han's paths intersect in a struggle to rescue their children, uncover the source of the Jedi rumors, and stop Lord Hethrir before he gains enough power to usher in an Empire Reborn. McIntyre neatly weaves together gripping, edge-of-your-seat action with intriguing, original plot developments and characters that notably include an enigmatic, Force-guided creature named Waru. Star Wars fans will certainly enjoy the book, but McIntyre's superlative storytelling gives it much broader appeal. Carl Hays

Note it doesn't say, "all fans" so it's a true statement. There really are star wars fans that certainly do enjoy the book.

"Broader appeal" would be refrence to those that enjoyed the book but aren't big star wars fans, I know of people like that, so even that comment is true.

Midwest Book Review
    Vonda McIntyre is an award winning author of science fiction and fantasy. She brings her own unique talents to the Star Wars universe by continuing and expanding the Star Wars tradition with Star Wars: The Crystal Star. As Princess Leia and Chewbacca follow a trail of treachery across space and Luke Skywalker and Han Solo draw closer to the truth behind a sinister cult, the moment nears for an explosive showdown that could determine the fate of the entire universe."

Didn't give a bad review at all, and found the story to be unique.

I also note that at amazon.com, it seems that either people absolutely love the book, or they absolutely hate it. There is about a 50/50 of both sides to the reviewing.

19. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    This thread was better as a fact finding thread, and not as in opinion thread. If you wanna bash CS, go to one of hundreds of the CS bashing threads.

20. DarthSikle

DarthSikle Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Sorry, didn't mean to ruin your thread, just trying to be funny :(

21. Zee Zee

Feb 19, 1999
    Sorry, too. :(

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I'm indifferent to CS, there was better(TTT), and there was worse(PoT). But i respect others opinions. If I don't like something, it dosen't mean that someone else wouldn't. My 2 cents. :D

23. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    I would just like to say that this is one of the best-conceived threads in a long, long time. If we had "Thread Awards" this one would be up for nomination. Great finds so far everyone!

24. Hapan_Kickboxer

Hapan_Kickboxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, here's a question - Is it true that Anakin Solo was killed (at least in part) because of his name? (part meaning part of the reason, not partly killed! :) )

I seem to remember hearing a rumour somewhere that LFL thought it would be too confusing to have another Anakin when they were putting the prequel movies out.

Anyone??

25. WraithLead

WraithLead Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2001
    I am looking for the quote, but someone will surely beat me to it. That was false. It was a mistaken report by TFN. That was the question asked in jest, not the answer. I will post the quote when I have a chance to find it.

EDIT: Okay, I'm going to need some help finding the quote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.