main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    9 in Austria/Germany

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Anyone else seeing a lot of slowness and having trouble with posts going through?

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I am. Sometimes, threads take a long time to open.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Thanks. I've sent an email to Philip and Grahame. Wasn't sure if it was just me..

5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's incredibly slow right now, and has been for at least an hour.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It seems to come and go for me. My last post above went through fine.

7. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I've had problems with posts going through at this time of day for the past week or so. It may be just an impression, but it tends to affect longer threads.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    For me it's sporadic as well, the times when the boards slow down or I get a Page cannot be Displayed" message. Couple times this week it was in the early evening Eastern Time in the U.S. like around 6:00 P.M. If it happens any other time, it's like mid-afternoon. Does not last more than 15 minutes, certainly not over half an hour.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Grahame has done some rebooting and is doing some Linux updating. Hopefully that will help things.

Sarge and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  10. Strange Unusual Plant

Strange Unusual Plant Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 18, 2017
    I have been having this problem consistently in various threads. I post, but nothing happens. I reload the page, but nothing's there, so I decide to just post it again. When I come back later, I have two posts. This is a sock, but it has happened once or twice on my main account too.
    Edit: No problem with this post.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You can use the Report function on the double posts - one of the mods can then clean up.

12. Strange Unusual Plant

Strange Unusual Plant Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 18, 2017
    Oh, thanks - I didn't really know you could use it for that, I thought it was inappropriate posts.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It is but other users have been using it for double/triple posts as well.

14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Lame question alert: So the main objection to restarting a long thread, such as Wrestling, and making load time faster is that posting history is lost, for some posters as much as years' worth of input?:confused:

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The posting history isn't lost - the thread would be locked, not deleted. Forum mods already do this when some of the social threads reach a certain length - I think SW Community locks at 20K or so and a new thread is started.

Bardan_Jusik and pronker like this.
  16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    And the objection, then, is that it's jarring to look up stuff on the older thread, or folks may lose interest and wander off if a thread ends ... ?

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - finding stuff on the older thread would be the issue. However, whoever starts the new one could put a link to the old one in the first post. However, we usually leave decisions on things like starting new threads on something up to the forum mods.

pronker likes this.
  18. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I hate artificial limits placed on thread length etc because it reeks of poor management/system design and resource allocation. The server we have should handle a forum of this size without any issue at all, it has plenty of ram (and the ram doesn't fill up), plenty of CPU (which does occasionally get high but not enough to cause problems) and all disk space is Solid State. That points to configuration as the issue here, either MySQL/Apache tuning or Xenforo itself. I've spent many hours tuning Apache and MySQL parameters trying to make the problem go away, and nothing really helps. Therefore I'm left to believe that the issue is Xenforo - it's a very old version, running on an old version of PHP. It needs to be replaced but with all of the customizations you guys have here that's not an easy task. I don't have an answer to the problem, I wish I did.

EHT and pronker like this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It probably is down to Xenforo. However I remember us having to limit threads when we were on IGN's servers as well. If a thread got too long it just got 'weird' when trying to post to it. I think I rermember us restarting social threads in Collecting when they hit 5K.

pronker likes this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Yeah the restarting of the social threads in SWC and EUC is partly due to tradition (a holdover from the IGN days) and because every now and again it's fun to reboot the social threads. :p

PCCViking and pronker like this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Firefox 52 just warned me that the login / registration screen is not secured. Or rather, "not a secure connection."

Is that normal?

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Was that the first time you've seen the message or did you just upgrade to version 52? I haven't seen anything but I'm running an older version of Firefox. Anyone else seeing anything similar in a different browser/version? I think if anything was amiss I'd have gotten warnings from Norton 360.

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I fired up my Firefox, and it started loading upgrades before launching.

The error message identified itself as "Firefox 52", advised that the upgraded version would let you know, when you try to enter your login, if the page you are using, is not secure.

I just used the boards.theforce.net url.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've been getting that message for quite a while as well, across several versions of Firefox. I just ignore it.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sith-I-5 Firefox now issues that warning anytime you go to type a password into a non-HTTPS site (i.e. one with a URL starting with "http://" instead of "https://"), such as this site. There's no way to turn it off except to bug the server admin(s) until he/she/they set up HTTPS for that site. Paging Grahame...