main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It probably just affects more recent posts. The error messages in the server log are still continuing.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    In the 'Thrawn in Rebels' thread, when I click on 'got to first unread message' from my Watched Threads list it consistently takes me to a message one, two, or three posts previous to the newest - and not in a slow loading page kind of way - everything loads and the thread scrolls to the last but 1/2nd/3rd post.

Not a massive problem, but of possible interest to bug hunters..? I'm running the latest Firefox on win7 fwiw.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Am I the only one having problems loading pages?

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    No. But the dropouts are less frequent than at the weekend.

5. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I was just now.

B99 likes this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I had a huge piece of writing drafted for one of the posters above and then everything got stuck - couldn't copy, couldn't go back, couldn't go forward. Then the whole board went down for about thirty minutes. So, I did what every sane person does - bought a pizza with hot peppers in the middle of the night and I'm now sitting here wondering where the kriff I was and what the kriff I wanted to say. :p

I can't...even imagine what the next week will be like. Hats off and good luck to Grahame and the rest of the techie gang. You're going to need a lot of it.@};-

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Boards are being super-slow for me this evening.

Ewok Poet and B99 like this.
  8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I have had sporadic non-loading of pages at different times this week. Mostly in afternoon/evening. Not for too long. Not above a half-hour so far. I live in the Eastern Time Zone in the U.S. so the timeframe has been about 3 PM or between 7 & 8 PM.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - with the new film due out next week the site has been getting a heavier user load. It isn't just you.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hey yo if we need to disable the search function again or whatever to get back some stability, especially in this coming week, I'm totally cool with it. Just saying!

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Forum was unavailable late night/early morning for me.

+1 for killing search, and anything else that costs bandwidth and cycles. Alerts, maybe.

13. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

There is no bandwidth issue and the server doesn't appear to be under any heavy load even during the outages/slowness. I still firmly believe this is a compatibility issue with older Xenforo versions and newer PHP/MySQL.

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Then please hurry up and upgrade. I understand that you're having problems porting your user notes, but you CANNOT let the preeminent Star Wars message boards crash and burn like this just because you're attached to those notes. If you have to, take the boards down temporarily, take a backup, upgrade XenForo (sacrificing the problematic extension), install a new user notes extension (I'm sure there's a few out there), and then host the backup on another URL accessible only to moderators where they can check the old user notes when needed. And then people can gradually work on manually copying notes over to the new system while us peons have stable and up-to-date boards that we can actually use without fear of losing a long post when we try to submit it.

That seems far more reasonable to me than making us put up with the inconsistency we've had the past few days.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Yeah, abolition! :D

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Since I cannot edit the above, I have to double post: seems like I can do things faster with an account used to administer a thread in an incognito window than my regular account in a normal window...?! How is this even possible?

17. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Can mods see what users post before they edit it? Otherwise I need to report someone...

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I was told that the answer is yes, the one time I asked.

Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The server issues are a major pain.

Also. Why the haste to mingle spoiler allowed TLJ thread titles with the threads for Force Awakens. People could talk about that film without the new one being spoiled.

Was it not possible to wait a week or two? Or make it possible to filter out TFA threads from TLJ?

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Jar-Jar Binks likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Or you can avoid it for a couple of days and then catch up with the threads you missed? I know that it sounds like a lame solution, but replies in such threads tend to pop up like crazy in these situations and no human being can possibly deal with them all. Mods are people.

And yeah, I've been practicing what I preach...until tonight, that is.

22. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It;'s not that people want to talk about the new film, it's just that the threads for those discussions sit cheek by jowl with TFA discussions now and the new movie is only out today. But like LAJ Fett says. This isn't the place to discuss it.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Two of my posts have been lost to the ether in the last hour.

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Is there a way to add a new option to a poll? The Least Favorite Film in the Saga and Why thread (in the Saga boards) is about to be outdated.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    V-2 - can you link to one of the threads you posted in? And did you get any kind of error?