main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grahame

Grahame Former Server Admin star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    And after an afternoon of good speed, we get a full-on MySQL crash/recovery. ****ing awesome. I'm sure this board won't stay up all night, and I apologize in advance but I'm completely out of ideas for tonight.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    So, I don't know if this will help, but I noticed when our boards are down with the 'unexpected error' message, TF.N main page, Rebel Scum (and their forums – which was displaying a database error) are either down or very slow as well.

3. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    It won't let me get on or post stuff for most of the day. I have a small window in the morning to read and post what I can.

4. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I can't get to my PMs or Alerts. [face_frustrated]

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm totally unable to post in the NFL thread in Community. I've been trying to post a correction to something I posted earlier in the day for several hours now, but attempting to post in that thread fails 100% of the time even when the boards are otherwise working.

EDIT: And of course, no sooner do I post THIS than the NFL post finally goes through. Still, this is not the only thread I've had unusual problems posting in today. All evening, I've struggled to get posts to submit even when the boards are working, and frequently attempting to submit a post completely crashes the boards. It's happened far too many times today to rule out any other cause; I'm 99% sure that posting is causing the boards to crash. Even this edit is taking forever.

6. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Looks like you all need BETTER servers.

Trying to get on this forum ever since TLJ came out is almost impossible.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I’m turning into Kylo Ren right now.

[​IMG]

8. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    That is what I said but I was assured that even though we're getting occasional server error messages, a new server wouldn't help.

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    If only it was occasional server error messages. It's been near impossible to even get onto the site, let alone post anything. (maybe this post will go through[face_nail_biting])

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been able to get to this thread and a couple of others (and the Admin CP) this morning but I'm getting a bunch of hangs and '503 Service Unavailable' messages. When it does work it's not bad speed-wise, at least for reading. Unfortunately with the backup about to kick in I won't be able to actually do anything til later today as I'm heading out in a bit.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, it’s really frustrating. I’m amazed I am able to be even post this.

12. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm going to say this again - it's not a ****ing hardware issue, it's a software configuration issue and I can't find the problem. We've tried throwing more hardware at the problem and it doesn't get any better.

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Such a shame this is happening,thanks to all the behind the scenes people who work at this! :D

Iron_lord and Dagobahsystem like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yikes, a software thing.
    I experienced something like that not too long ago.
    When I got my new computer, there were bits and pieces of Office 365 mixed in with Office 15. :eek: Had to uninstall the former before the latter would work right.

When a library site I use had issues for over a week last spring -- couldn't get on any part of it for a week they had to take some features/facets down and see how things ran and then reactivated/reinstall until they found what ws causing the glitches. Perhaps the inactive/unused boards are doing weird things or interacting strangely with the other boards?

So far this morning I am able to navigate PMs and story threads just fine.

15. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Really, really hope it gets sorted out. The forums are too good to lose.

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Nightmare, I'd assumed it was because of all the traffic generated by the new film. Thanks for the hardwork behind the scenes, I hope you can resolve the issues.

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Grahame If the number of posts from you in this thread over the past few days is any indication, you must have spent an awful lot of time trying to sort this out. So here's a big THANKS and happy holidays from me too!

18. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    What I don't get is like now, there are 700+ people on and it's fast. I don't know why, or how to keep it this way but I know it won't last. Very frustrating.

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, it's doing OK at the moment. The odd bit of lag but on the whole it's fast.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Especially if it cannot be traced by time of day and what forums/subforums are being accessed. And especially if the log files don't pick up the error sources. :eek: [face_nail_biting]

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Grahame - I don't know a lot about our server setup, but could something external to our boards and their environment be causing the problem?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    It's funny I'd actually been considering that, but it'd be very hard to pin down if it's something just coming in on the web port (port 80). I guess it could be something crawling the site, or pulling the RSS feeds constantly.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Could it be something like a set of denial of service attacks timed to coincide with the film release? I thought it was kinda coincidental that the RS boards were getting a DB error screen this morning when we were getting the 503s

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  24. Grahame

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't think so, we have the firewall pretty well locked down and there's nothing in the logs to indicate that kind of attack. Also the problems really started when we moved hosts and I still think a lot of it is grounded in the fact that Xenforo is old code and running on newer PHP/MySQL versions.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Oh well - just a thought..

26. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the time you’re putting in! I know it has been be more frustrating for you than us.

Currently I’m having an odd period of posts going up without crazy long delays. :)