main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Nothing's wrong, that's your browser processing the fact that those buttons are supposed to be minimized. If it's long enough that it's causing navigation issues, you may need to upgrade... something, I dunno. That second screen doesn't last more than half a second, tops, if I see it.

2. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    Lol, okay. So I guess I'll just wait another few seconds before trying to go anywhere when I come online. My computer is old, but my browser is up to date, so I don't know what I should update either. Thanks!

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I think it's a javascript thing. If you have an older computer, there's probably not much you can do but just pause for an extra second and let it do its thing.

4. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    Okay, thanks! I usually do all the updates, so I guess it's just something my dinosaur can't handle. ;)

5. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Is there a way to stop the different sections collapsing into tabs?

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not yet for individual sections, no. It is possible to disable it for the entire board, but then the forum list becomes borderline innavigable, and we used to default to collapsed on IGN, so I don't think that's an option we have on the table.

7. Paparazzo

Jan 31, 2011
    Ah I see. I always thought on the temp boards that they didn't have collapsable tabs and wondered.

Thanks anyway. :)

EDIT: In fact, when the main page initially loads it doesn't tab itself, but once it's fully loaded then tabs suddenly appear.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Harpuah - and anyone else who gets the javascript error message:

Here's a page that tells how to open the Javascript (or web) console in various browsers. If you get the error, open the console and copy/paste the error messages here.

Note that in Firefox (version 13.0.1 anyway) you can also open the web console by going to Tools>>Web Developer>>Web Console.

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Is there a way to link to a specific message in a thread? You could do it on the old boards. Is there a formula for addresses for doing it here?

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    [standard thread url]/page-[page number]#post-[specific post ID]

It can also be found by simply clicking the number adjacent to the like button.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    You can also just right-click the number and copy the link.

I had just posted earlier that slower computers and/or older browsers might display the full forum list for a few seconds before they collapse. This isn't desirable behavior, but it's the best we can do for the time being, as Xenforo doesn't support collapsible categories out of the box, and we're forced to use a JavaScript-based plugin.

12. Paparazzo

Jan 31, 2011
    I see, thank you. :)

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    How's it coming on those missing/truncated posts?

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Truncated posts prefer to be called "Little People". They also dislike "midget", even though midget is a lovely little word.

15. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    I'm having issues with posts and threads randomly disappearing. I can't access the EUC Sith thread from the list on the forum. I can only access it through alerts, looking in my post archive, or in the latest post listing before entering the specific forum.

A post randomly disappeared in an RPF thread as well, and will only show up when I log out. I don't have anyone on ignore or anything so I don't see how it could be that.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Is there a Favourite Boards option yet? Or something that doesn't require me to expand the main forum, before going into the subforum, every time I visit?

s65horsey likes this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I think theoretically one could hard-code prefix links into the base board description (See that bit of text below Welcome? That.) so that they can be seen on the front page, pre-expansion. Might look a bit garish, though.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Just add your favorite boards to your bookmarks. It's not the best solution, but it works.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    OZK has a thread dedicated to restoring truncated posts in JCC.

20. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm having a hard time posting in the RPF. I got one post to post the other half keeps saying error in javascript.

EDIT: I found out what the problem is. It's the TAG ALERT @

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just curious... any updates on the stars? Thanks.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Haven't heard anything. Grimby is on reduced time this week due to workload and deadlines.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, thanks.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In compatibiity mode (IE9 on Win 7), the top bar gets partially blocked (conversations/alerts, etc.) so that it's almost impossible to see or click on. And one can only cut/paste ONCE without an error & losing the page if not in compatibility mode or getting the java script error.

And once you open up a conversation, there's no visible way of returning to the main board. Guessing what tiny little snip is the main board here (not the whole of tf.n) - well, I constantly guess wrong, have to close the page & reopen in my favs.

Darn it all, I can't seem to figure out to post a screen shot. (yet)

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Did you try turning compatibility mode off for this site to see if that helped? Alternatively you could try a different browser. I use Firefox and haven't had issues like that.