main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I turned compatibility ON because of a cut/paste and Java problems that I don't have with compatibiity off. And while I'm reasonably computer competent, I'm not sure how to set up side by side browsers...

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's pretty easy, actually. You just download and install Firefox. Then when you want to use it online you just click the icon like you would any other program. I've been online using IE and Firefox in the same session. You can see a bunch of help topics on Firefox here. (I'm assuming you have admin control over the PC you are using. If it's a work/school PC you might not be able to do this.)

3. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    I got this a couple minutes ago using Firefox 16.0.1

An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away in /var/www/html/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77
    1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
    2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
    3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
    4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
    5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
    6. XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
    7. XenForo_Application::handleException()

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Same here. I clicked my bookmark for the forums and that came up. Then I went to the main site and clicked the link there and it worked fine.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Not sure if this is related, but the boards were really hanging for me around that same timeframe. They wouldn't load and when they finally did, it showed that no members were online - it was the strangest thing.

6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    They were really hanging for me too at that time. Firefox kept showing "connecting" at the top of the tab.

7. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Same as DG Bro it took awhile to connect i'm also using Firefox

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I also noticed after that Firefox was automatically updating from version 15.0.1 to 16.0.1. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, or if this happened to anyone else.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I looked in the server error log but didn't see anything unusual around that timeframe.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I love getting notifications that somebody quoted my post... three weeks ago.

What does this system do, feel bad if you don't wake up to a new notification so it stockpiles a few for rainy days?

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes. Yes it does.

12. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    When I make a tag, I'm not sure what happens, but nobody gets them.

Example: If I were going to tag Grimmy, I would do it this way

[Grimby]
    Is this correct?

:)
    i

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It has to be the whole username. For Grimby, it would be @[Grimby the Hutt] (without the brackets).

14. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Is there a set limit to how many tags can be in a post?

:)

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think the upper limit is 10, due to the way the add-on is coded.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Search function isn't working.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There were some error messages in the server log about the search process failing. I've emailed Grimby and Grahame to let them know.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Probably connected, but I can't view my own (or anyone else's) recent posts.

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It's connected.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like search is working again. The nasty error messages in the log have gone away as well.

21. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    Nobody is getting alerts from tags from me.

Also, every time I go to the homepage, I get a "Stop running this script?" message on my computer. It only happens on the homepage; no where else.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Can you post an example of how you are doing the alerts?

Also - for the script issue - what browser/version are you using?

23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Every day when I come to the main forum page for the first time, all the forums are collapsed and I have to manually expand the ones that I want access to. Is there a way to save which forums I want expanded and which collapsed so I don't have to do that every time I log in?

I know I asked this about a month or so ago, and someone said you guys were working on it. Just wondering about an update?

24. Rainbow Knight Star

Apr 18, 2005
    I use Internet Explorer 8 with a Windows XP computer.

Tagging example:

JediFalcon

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Rew - right now there isn't a way to do that. I think Grimby was looking for something but I know Darth Real Life has kept him busy lately. We've also had some issues here (search and memory problems) that have to take priority.

Rainbow - not sure on the tagging. I know other people have had issues with it. However I've been getting alerts fine. As far as the script goes, it might just be something that doesn't play nicely with XP. I'm on Win 7 and haven't had any issues like that. The script might be related to the member display section on the right of the main page as that's the only place that occurs. One thing to check - if users are having a problem getting your alerts make sure they haven't turned off alerts for tagging. It's set in Alert Preferences under Settings in the user profile.