main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Unfortunately, it's probably not an issue that will be fixed until a new version of Xenforo is released - which may not be until next summer.

For a full list of all BBcodes, click the Help button in the header, or click here.

2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Will there eventually be more forum background styles to choose from?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How do you delete a post and/or a thread?

4. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    pm/start a conversation with the moderator of the forum the post/thread would be in. They should be able to help.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you want to delete a double post you can also use the 'Report' function to request deletion. 'Reported' items go into a queue that all the mods can see.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I keep getting email alerts for PMs that are not even mine! They seem to be just the ones sent to GrandAdmiralJello, even PMd him about it and he hasn't gotten back to me on it. Hasn't even read the PM. Its getting really annoying to find my email inbox filled with PM alerts for Jello. XD

So yeah.... better be careful with your PM titles.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Are the alerts for a conversation you were originally part of?

Grimby - sounds pretty weird..

8. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    Maybe you were added by one of them? Otherwise that does sound bizarre.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    benknobi I dunno. But when I check, there is no PM waiting.

LAJ_FETT No.

Edit: Just got another one. I know they are not meant for me because it says: "GrandAdmiralJello, DarthBoba has replied to your conversation on Jedi Council Forums." if it was mine it would have my name instead of his.

I am getting his alerts. [face_plain]

This message brought to you by the letter S and by the letter W.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I checked your user id and his on the off-chance of the email addresses being similar and they aren't - not even the same provider. I'll ask in MS about it. If anyone else is seeing something similar please let us know here.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't have any PMs from you, nor am I in a PM exchange with Boba -- according to my inbox, I don't have anything since Friday.

It's probably PoT scheming or something...

Ender_Sai likes this.
  12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Phantom PMs... :oops:

Edit: Hmm.... I double checked the name of the PM I thought I had sent you and the user is GrandAdmiraIJello, the first L is a capital I. The auto fill in selected that user instead of you. Makes me wonder then if that is an old sock of mine back from the WOTG days. How embarrassing if it is. :oops:

It would explain why I'm getting email alerts for you. People are making the same mistake I did when I tried PMing you. If it is a sock... I don't have the password. Feel free to delete the account or change its name if it has my email. Or take it over since you have tons of PMs waiting GrandAdmiralJello.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    oooh, yeah, that's tricky. I guess I'll have to jump into that account and see what's what, and then get rid of it :p

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Any estimate on when we'll be able to change banners and styles? This one is pretty boring and sterile.

15. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    For the lines in signatures, is there a set amount of characters per the entire thing (or per line)?
    I'm a bit confused as to how the line count works.

16. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    I think it's about how much space you have... I had 3 or four lines and it told me I exceeded my limit... so I moved things around, decreased font size and now it's fine.

17. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Hmm. I've had five lines of compact text and it was still telling me I had used 6 out of 5 or 7 out of 5 available lines.

18. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    me too.

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  19. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh. I misread that.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's a character limit in place, so I can better plan my signature.

20. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Is it possible to set things so the timestamp on posts and such show up as absolute time/date instead of the yesterday and 37 minutes ago we currently have?

21. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    It already shows up as absolute time/date...and it updates in real time...

Yesterday and 37 minutes ago are indeed absolute measures of time.

Are you confused about what time others are posting?

Did you mean that you want the option to change it so all post timestamps follow this format: benknobi1, 12/28/12 at 10:00 AM?
    If so, then it would need to be user specific since not everyone around the world goes by month, day, year. 3/4/13 could mean: March 4th 2013 or April 3rd 2013, etc. At that point there might as well be in option for 12hour or 24hour clock... but I digress.

22. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    If you hover over the time (i.e. "39 minutes ago"), it will give you the post's full date and time.

Here are the current limits placed on signatures:
    • Up to 5 lines (just like the old boards)
    • Max 500 characters (this includes formatting, which I'm assuming is stored as bbCode, so the less formatting you use, the more text you can theoretically have)
    • Max 5 each of URLs/links and email addresses

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  23. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    How do I send someone a private message?

I used the search function to search this thread for "private message", but got no results.
    Thanks.

24. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    try clicking "start a conversation"

EDIT: sent you a "PM"/Start a conversation

25. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Ah, there it is right on a user's "popup card" (or whatever it is called). Thanks!
    I usually open forum links in new tabs/windows, so instead of a card, I got to the profile page where I looked for a "Send PM" link there.
    I found "Start a Conversation" under the "Information" tab... weird place.