main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Possibly, but only on a case-by-case basis with approval from a forum mod. Also, keep in mind that every post from one of those threads will look like it was made by a guest instead of a registered user.

2. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    i am not getting alerts for watched threads even though there are posts in the threads I am following. the last alerts I got was about a bunch of trophies I'd earned

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Do you for sure have "Replies to a watched thread" checked under your Alert Preferences?

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
  5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Too many nested quotes relative to your browser window width. Well-known issue, but there's no obvious fix.

6. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Thanks for the swift reply - a cautionary tale, to edit fiercely.

7. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000

hmm, I guess I have to check that.. Maybe I only get alerts when I post in the thread? I got an alert for this.....

8. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Are you talking about tags? If so..

From back in January in this thread. If you use the '@' method the tag seems to work. If you use the BB Code method it doesn't. If you're talking about emails make sure they aren't going into the spam folder.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That could potentially be related to the fact that that thread is pre-move. Just to make sure - is "receive email notification..." checked under regular Preferences?

11. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Under 'browsing preferences' the first box was unchecked re 'receive alerts when I am poster or I reply' and the sub-box underneath 'receive email notification', so that sounds like the right way to go to get replies. I checked the box just now.

When I watch a thread, I put in 'receive email notifications when updated' so I thought that would make it happen - anyway, thanks for the swift reply and if this doesn't work, shall inform you. I guess what was puzzling was, it worked sometimes! and then not others.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, that would suck... best to just leave it as read only.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You can leave it read only, then just make a 2.0 and post a link to the original version as 'recommended'.

It doesn't have quite the same continuity, but if you quote old posts and really put some effort into it, you might be able to get it going again.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Alright....not worth it then. :p

15. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello all.

I have made a rare visit back to my geographical FF pages - and found it to be almost dead, and posted in a couple of threads, but there are other threads where I wouldn't mind posting so the participants know there is someone else around, but although the threads are not locked (eg. no yellow padlock), and I am signed in, there is a small message in the bottom right of my screen after the last post, saying I do not have sufficient privileges to comment.

What has happened there?

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can you please link to the thread you are referring to? ;)

17. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Didn't the 'insufficient privileges' to post thing happen before to someone because of a glitch that thought they needed to be an IGN subscriber or something?

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's probably because those forums are in the UK Archive. All discussion is now in the FF: UK general thread. Feel free to join us there!

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah, okay. Gotcha.

Many thanks.

21. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/you-know-youre-a-fan-fiction-writer-when.16556465/page-108

Hi there - the above thread and responses did not show in my email - everything in TFN's 'browser preferences' and 'alert preferences' is checked with the exception of 'dismissed' alerts.

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Do you get alerts for other threads? Do you get emails about anything else from the boards?

23. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
  24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh god, my inbox would be so cluttered if I got email notifications for responses to threads. [face_plain]

pronker likes this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Butbutbut this weapon intarwebz is my life!!! @Todd the Jedi