main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Which version of IE are you using?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's possible one of the monthly Windows updates might have changed the setting, I guess.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If it's IE 8 or 9, then there's a Compatibility View button in the address bar between the arrow that you press to see the site addresses you've recently entered/visited and the refresh button. From experience I know how very easy it is to accidentlaly hit that button.

Grimby likes this.
  4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm sure I've asked this before, but I'll ask again just in case? Is there any chance of making it so that when you click on the title of a PM convo from the drop down list (mouse hovering over 'Inbox') you're taken to the last unread message rather than the first page?

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It should already do that when you click a conversation with new messages.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    ****. Sorry. That should've read "last read message". And I guess the answer is no.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    If there's a way to change that it's up in the guts somewhere, sadly, I don't even recall seeing it at the lower level coding interface.

Which is IMO really stupid, considering we can make conversation prefixes for some unfathomable reason, but them's the sad breaks.

8. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    What is the star wars equivalent of a katana but isn't a lightsaber? I feel like I remember hearing about swords that were made of some sort of steel within the Star Wars Universe but I can't remember what they were called.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Vibroblade. Incidentally, Comms is not the place for such questions - you should check around SWC and EUC.

10. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Sorry wasn't really sure where to stick this sort of question.

11. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Is there a social thread within the Fan-fiction category? Because I would like to ask questions before I start my fan-fiction.

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This thread might fit your needs. It's for writing questions and discussions. If not you could ask one of the forum mods where to put your post.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Has anyone brought up the problem with the ignore feature? If you have a user ignored, it's great that you can't see their posts - but you also can't see any thread made by them. Which is an issue if it's a generic main thread. But you can still see when they like posts and when they've posted...it's a little backwards. Is there a way to work around that somehow?

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I don't use the feature so I'm not aware of the issue. I don't think I've seen it mentioned here.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Off the top of my head, I don't think there's a workaround. You're basically telling the system "I'd like to pretend every post this person made was deleted," and without an OP to refer back to it's impossible for the board to display the replies. Similarly, it can't hide displays for likes because those are tied to the liked post, rather than the liking user. As for the "when they've posted" I'm not sure what you're referring to - do you mean they show up as the most recent reply on threads they aren't the OP of?

Now, you'd think that more nuanced ignore controls would make for a popular add-on... but no (Although disturbingly there's an add-on that allows admins to force users to ignore any other user). So short of potentially board-breaking tinkering I'm not sure there's anything that can be done.

17. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    There are no options to control for the ignore feature aside from turning it on and off.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think I know what SLG means. When an ignored user is the most recent poster in a thread, it'll say on the thread list under last post "ignored user", lacking a hyperlink.

I for one love the ignore system (and apparently so does SLG). I agree that it's annoying that whole threads will be hidden if you ignore the original poster, but I do like to see when an ignored user has just posted, 'cause generally (for me at least) that means there's probably nothing I want to see in that thread at that time. It's a big board, I can post elsewhere.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Guys I can change. :(

20. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I have two questions to ask one is there a fan club for rebel pilots on here?

And is there in the EU the concept of time travel of Star Wars?

21. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Not Rebel Pilots in general that I know of. EUC does have the X-Wing Series Fanclub though, which is mostly about the pilots.

And that's debatable. The only real example that comes to mind is in the Jaden Korr Duology; Crosscurrent and Riptide. Though that would be a question to ask in the EUC I would imagine. :p

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that we're getting some search errors in the Server Log and I've seen error messages in trying to look at the recent posts in user profiles. I've emailed Grimby and Grahame but they won't be online for awhile yet. So if you get errors in searching we are aware of it.

Everton likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't understand the ignore feature and I don't use it. If someone annoys me enough, I just taunt them until they go away.

Seriously, is anyone around here that bad?

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I use it on those who do off board harassment/sexual harassment/etc. Use your imagination.

25. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I imagine our precious banners of another age, another time, when they had meaning. Giving us all a reflection of what it is we care about together. Now forever lost, swept beneath the pillars of time, space, and history. They will be missed, but not forgotten, for in our hearts their memory remains etched until the end of time.