main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Ah I see well no matter I guess I just have to live without that on this forum not hugely important anyways just thought I would ask.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We tried them when the forums were in the testing stage and it was just us mods logging in. Even then the loading times were longer with images in sigs so we decided not to allow them. It's just too easy to abuse that kind of thing.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    More than just the loading time thing, the decision is also based on the fact that threads are exponentially easier to read without having to wade through the repetitive clutter of large signature blocks filled with images.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, the icons/avatars aren't too bad as they are small and over to the side so they don't appear between posts. Seeing the same signature images 4-5 times in a row while trying to read a thread gets old fast..

pronker and benknobi1 like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention IIRC the signature coding is tied to accounts rather than posts, so whereas with an icon it's going "Grab this icon and put it here," with a signature image it's more like "Grab this signature, put it here, parse this, oh crap I need an image? Grab the image, load it." and then the image is stored somewhere else so you get a bit of delay from them, and just ugh. Ugh. I feel like somebody would use a 3 megabyte gif just to prove a nasty point about it.

benknobi1 likes this.
  6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I, for one, am glad that we don't have image signatures. I've seen them on other forums and they're just annoying. Icons and avatars are great though as they allow us to be a bit individual. My only complaint is that the new boards make icon artists a bit redundant, but I might be biassed there. ;)

I do have a query on another topic though. Whenever I click 'edit' I get the edit box but the text box is blank and I can't type anything into it. I'm not sure why it's happening but it's the same on all the boards.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that's an issue with something in the latest versions of Firefox, it's fixed in the new Xenforo update so it'll eventually get sorted out once we upgrade.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  9. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    And when will that be?

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's being worked on. The new version came out just a couple of weeks ago, and the current plan is to run some tests to make sure nothing breaks everywhere forever due to a compatibility issue or what have you before we can actually upgrade (The primary issue being all of our add-ons and some of our custom coding). That's obviously sub-optimal, but the actual stance from Xenforo itself is that there's no fix because there's a new, issue-less version out and consequently they can't be bothered to fix the (Not actually all that) old version's issues.

There may also be some back-end logistical matters that I'm not familiar with that could also be delaying things, which would be aside from and in addition to purely technical matters.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The "More Options" buttons still works.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It seems the feature "Choose from an option" or whatever it was called under more options is missing or gone. Y'know, the thing where you put in one or more variables and it randomly chose one. Am I the only one missing this, or was this a conscious removal on the Mod Squad's part?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Conscious removal.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw, I liked that feature. Granted, I was probably one of the few who ever used it correctly, but still :(.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    [​IMG]

Whenever I want to use a link to a story as a sentence, I get an error page, and have to edit out that '{URL}' script out of the post before it will work. Why does that happen? And, why isn't the 'insert/edit link' button available to use, despite being displayed on the Rich Text Editor screen?

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    What browser are you using? Grimby - the insert/break link buttons show as grayed out for me in Firefox v 22 in the 'Quick Compose' section. Looks like the other inserts (media, image) are fine.

Edit - they are also grayed out if you edit. And if you go to the 'More Options' button and try to compose there.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I use Chrome (the latest, up to date version obviously :p ), and when I went to the 'More Option' button, that link option is still grayed out.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've mentioned the problem in our issue thread in MS.

19. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Personally, I use this code:

[url = *insert website* ] *insert words for link [ / url ]

Whenever I want to link something...such as: TFN

(just without the spaces I put in the upper one)

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I do the same but I know the insert/break link symbols used to work as I have used them in the past.

Edit - mystery solved. DarthTunick - you have to highlight the text for the link to have the symbols appear.

Example - BBC News. Once you highlight the 'BBC News' (or your text of choice) the symbols appear. When you click the Insert one you'll get a box to put the url in.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Also, keep in mind [ link ] is a legacy tag we added to make the tags from the old boards work. It isn't necessarily compatible with all of the WYSIWYG editor's features. That might have something to do with the coding fail you managed to achieve in your screenshot.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Got it. Thanks for the info & help!

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I was wondering if there is a way or ap that lets one use the functions such as posting pics ect... When using a touch device such as my ipad. Or does one have do the old school way with coding?

24. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    The post editor has icons for inserting image and video URLs. Does that not work for you?

25. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Sometime back, there was said to be upcoming a 'state of The Move' address, what went right, what went wrong, etc. including the truncation issue. Is this still on the agenda? Did I miss it while on vacation?