main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I would recommend PMing one of the moderators of the specific forum in question, and asking them to either delete the post, or to edit it when you have an edit to make.

2. GAThrawn1213

GAThrawn1213 Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2013
    So, what does the "throw a dice" option on here do?:confused:

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Exactly what it says (minus the horrendous grammar mistake). Allow me to demonstrate.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - it's mostly used for games.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I recently noticed that when someone quotes your post AFTER editing in the quote, that you do not get an alert/notification that your post was quoted. I think this issue, while relatively minor, should be worth looking into before you guys upgrade to the new XenForo boards.

Edit: For example:
    Grimby, did you get an alert that I quoted your post?

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I believe that's a relic of the workaround for the quote alert issues mentioned near the beginning of the thread. If you supersede that you're going to see an alert every time anyone so much as sneezes at a post you're quoted in.

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Alert notifications have been getting sporadic in recent days. I'm not getting them for a lot of Likes, and direct PERSON notifications, plus a couple times in PM threads.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You taking mail notifications or board notifications? I got one overnight in my Alerts section here..

10. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Ramza, I just want to clarify though, that my issue occurred when someone edited in a reply to one of my posts in a post where she was responding to another person, so as to avoid double-posting. But I can understand where the issues you've alluded to can come up, i.e. the person who was originally quoted in the edited post will then get another alert as soon as that post was edited. I suppose you can call it a compromise since the "cure is worse than the disease" kind of thing. But I'd like to note that since double-posing is an issue that we generally want to avoid (as A Chorus of Disapproval emphasizes time and time again in the 7SA forum), if someone were to edit in a response to another person they missed because they wanted to avoid double-posting, the reply wouldn't generate an alert for the quoted person. While I don't think this is a big issue, it's possible that the person who was replied to but didn't get an alert wouldn't bother checking back at an older post (where the reply was created)---I know I rarely ever do---then they will miss out on the response altogether. Basically, to a person who only checks for NEW posts in a thread, they could miss the edited-in reply entirely.

Edit: Again, here's the demonstration of what I meant when I quoted Grimby.
    If you didn't get an alert for me quoting you, then this is the problem I'm trying to convey.

Mind you, this is ultimately a minor issue because of how infrequently users actually edit in replies to a previous post... AFAIK, many users are still unaware that they are able to cut/copy and paste a reply and edit it into a prior post, which is why double-posting is relatively commonplace.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, which has precedent for generating an alert when both take place in the same post: tagging a user, or quoting that user's post?

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, I have quote alerts turned off, so I was never going to get an alert anyway. :p

But the issue used to be that if you were quoted and the post got edited, you got a new alert. If the post got liked, you got a new alert. If a mouse sneezed on your post, you got a new alert. It was pretty serious.

Circular Logic likes this.
  12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, Circular Logic, here's a quote and a tag. You tell us what happened. :p (My guess based on no evidence whatsoever: you get two alerts, one for the quote AND one for the tag.)

13. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    That's incorrect. This has happened to me before, actually, but back then I forgot which alert I received, and now I only got one: you quoting my post. I wonder, though, if the alert puts precedent on the order, i.e. if you quote first, it will say that I've been quoted, and if you tag first, then perhaps my alert would be"jcgoble3 has tagged you in a post". Thanks for helping me experiment though!

Yeah, I understand. Like I mentioned, the "cure is worse than the disease", so probably just leave the issue unresolved unless there's a way to eliminate that bug altogether. I've seen plenty of posts edited after receiving the initial alert, so I guess the onus is on the tagged/replied to user to check back on that post periodically within the edit window. Considering you don't bother with quote alerts, I don't think it's that big a deal to many folks if they don't receive an alert for a reply, because many users tend to check or "watch" threads periodically, so that would be pretty much equivalent to getting the notification, without one popping up. Thanks for elucidating the situation regardless!

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My issue is different to Circular Logic's. I have never received one because someone "edited in a reply to one of my posts in a post where she was responding to another person"

When mine work, I get alerts (little red number squares) for
    a. Likes,
    b. when I get PERSON tagged
    c. a response in a PM chat thread

These have been getting worse over the last weekend, with no alerts, despite activity that would normally generate alerts, going on. The function has not failed completely, but is noticeably absent.

Edit: Interesting. In the last fifteen minutes, alerts for the PM thread, had three of them on time (good to see you guys again!).

15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I seem to not be able to edit a post anymore. I'm running version 25.0.1 of Firefox. Suggestions? The screen comes up to edit but the text of my post doesn't appear nor am I able to type in the box.

Edit: Ok if I click "More Options" I can edit, but I can't do the quick fix window anymore.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that problem started with v 23 of Firefox and continued with v 24. Looks like v 25 is bitten as well. There's a thread on it here in Comms, but it looks like you already found the workaround. Hopefully when we upgrade the forum software it will fix the issue.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Didn't realize I had been several versions behind in Firefox! Ok I will use the workaround. Thanks!

18. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I was wondering what happened to the fanfic.theforce.net archive? It isn't showing up anymore (except through the Wayback Machine)?

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You might ask over in the Fanfic Resource forum - maybe someone there knows.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for the curious that the board problems early this morning PST were caused by the server running out of disk space. Grahame is going to do some clean-up.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  21. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Never mind. The site is back up.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Had an interesting situation as a result of the board issue earlier. I had an email alert saying a user had started a conversation with me, yet there was nothing in my Inbox and the link in the email didn't work. I PM'd the user in question about it and he said he tried to send me one during the board problems. It looks like the software that sends the email alerts worked fine but the disk space issue prevented the PM from being stored in the database. So if anyone has what looks like phantom email alerts from earlier today - it might have happened the same way as mine.

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Just wondering, is there any way to remove a single tab/tag from a forum, but keep the rest?

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    At the moment, no, but I think the Xenforo team is working on either that or something equivalent like having multiple tags selected.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Have a question regarding post length.
    Is there a fixed amount of text you can fit into a single post or is it unlimited?