main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I just successfully posted the entire text of James Joyce's Ulysses in my testing thread, so I'm going with effectively unlimited. :p

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like Grimby set the maximum message length to 0. That disables the limit. So unless there is some other limiter in the system like a timeout after a certain length of attempting to write the post to the database, that means it's unlimited.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Great, thanks for the feedback!

4. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Post length limits wouldn't really cooperate well with the RPF and fanfic boards, anyway. :p

5. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Is it just me or is the forum running really slowly today? All other sites are running as usual for me.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've noticed the same on other days. So far things seem OK. It could be related to the number of users on at the time.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Hey quick question (please tag/quote me as I will probably forget this lol)

Are anons able to vote on polls? Or does one need an account?

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You have to have an account.

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    How come the alerts only come up when I show an interest in a board instead of all the ones I'm watching?

pronker likes this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I second this question - I really don't understand the 'alert' thing re getting emails. I'm not averse to getting lots of emails. but perhaps the whole idea is to cut down on the amount, except for when folks are onsite and check up on favorite threads?:confused:

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Can status updates in one's profile be edited or deleted? And, if so, is there a time limit on either option?

pronker likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Not sure on the time limit, but it looks like admins (at least) can delete them. If you want something on your profile deleted and you can't do it drop one of us a PM.

13. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    Thank you. I'd been rather afraid to put anything there and then find out the hard way that it couldn't be erased. Good to know the admins have the muscle for it if, later on, I don't.

I appreciate the swift response.

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Looks like I can delete others' posts on my profile, but I cannot delete my own statuses (although I can edit them). Which seems to be a bit backwards. :p

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I believe the design philosophy there was to allow you to remove content other people posted without your permission, but not to allow you to hide rule violations.

Although managers can see deleted status posts anyway so it's a bit o_O

16. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Is there a way to automatically load the alerts up as I hate refreshing every time. Also no one answered my previous question.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I hit a time out on PM writing a few days ago. Likewise around 1:00-1:30am my local time I basically couldn't load any threads and I got an error list when I tried to send PMs. However, right now everything's fine.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We logged a few errors around that time, we're looking into them.

They should load automatically when you see the pop-under about them. As for your previous question, I don't understand what you're asking.

19. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Ramza the alerts for certain boards only show up when I look at them. for instance I leave here for a day then come back only three alerts for one board I look at it there's about 2 pages added?

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm still not quite understanding. Are you saying that you're only getting three alerts for a watched thread even though there are significantly more than three replies?

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Also, what are you using to access the boards when this happens - mobile, PC, tablet?

22. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    that's what I'm saying I have a feeling its the browser (again I can't reply either) I am using a windows 7 computer with IE11? I also can't view any google images pictures.

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you tried switching to or from compatibility mode, whichever is applicable?

24. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Just did now I can reply so hopefully the alerts will pick up. its IE I think its awful I preferred IE7 but they force you to change it (no pun intended) however it made some of the buttons boxy. and I have lost the toolbar at the top.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Alternatively you could try a different browser such as Firefox. However the later versions have their own issues with the board software here but there are workarounds. Check in Comms here for the threads on Firefox and IE11. You could also try clearing your internet temp files - that sometimes helps with problems.