main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It happened again! I am watching a thread and there's been more than 10 pages at a guess added but nothing has come up I look at it and then I get alerts?
    Also May I add I do not have other alerts come up when some on I''m following comments on something?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I just tested my own watched threads with a sock and I got alerts immediately, I'm not sure what to tell you there. Followed users do not generate alerts unless they're posting in a watched thread.

3. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    oh ok thanks for clearing the second point.

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Hello.

I'm seeking clarification on something I have just been told.

I post on the Roleplaying Boards, so I am as likely to tag players by their character's name, as their member name, and I have been told by a player that he doesn't get the alert if I don't use his member name.

If I am having to go to the trouble of capturing and using the underlying member number associated with his account, shouldn't the tag / alert thing work, regardless of the actual text I use?

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Sith-I-5 - Only tagging by Name will generate an alert. Using raw BBCode to generate a tag, regardless of whether you use their real username or not, will not generate an alert. I discovered this in Elite League Limmie (there's some discussion buried deep in the OOC thread about it).

EDIT: I believe the reason that this is like this is that the Name format is converted to BBCode upon saving, and if BBCode also generated an alert, you'd then end up with an alert every time the post is edited or quoted (e.g. you'd have three alerts for this post because I edited it twice).

6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Thank you for the response, and carries extra weight as coming from a fellow RPer.

Cheers again.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay-dokey, I have given Bravo plenty of time to post his problem here, and the fact he hasn't even after being directed to, tells me his issue is a bit serious.

He's been finding the Boards cripplingly slow last two days ( a leeeettle bit slow for me over same period), but today, he advises that he is getting this error below, too, when trying to post:

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    We're not showing any errors logged today that could correspond to that one, so whatever it is it's something on his end. Bravo is there any chance you could provide us with some information about what browser you're using or when this seems to crop up?

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, there's nothing in the server log. Bravo - what are you using when you get the error? (PC or other, operating system, browser..)

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You called it right, Ramza; Bravo has tracked the issue to his router.

Thank you for looking into it, both of you.

11. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Why is it taking so long for the text errors to be fixed?

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to ask this question, but since it's technically a technical ( :p ) issue, why not? - Would it ever be possible to add a "go to page ..." option to forum archives & one's own post history? It's not a pressing issue admittedly, but whenever I want to look for a really old post and/or thread (assuming it survived The Move, etc), it's a huge pain to do.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That technically exists if you click the little arrows.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well yeah, but it's still a rather onerous process, because you can't easily jump ahead. A drop down option would be much preferable.

Circular Logic likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Anyone else getting an error message when attempting to search through your most recent posts?

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My method, which mostly works, and usually takes less than a minute, is to go to Google, and search for variables unique to whatever I am looking for. Seems to work.

For instance, last night (24 hours ago), I really wanted to find one of my fanfics on here, that I remembered featured my fave RP character Mitch Nifesta, and had been an effort to participate in the FanFic board's Diary Challenge of the time.

I knew Mitch had never maintained a diary in any of the games he'd been in, so I Googled literally "Nifesta" + "diary", perused the results for my one, and hey presto (oh, there goes my street cred) I've got my page from Jan 7 2007.

Give it a shot.

Now, if that method could cure the truncated threads issue, it would be perfect.

pronker likes this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, we're getting a ton of error messages in the server log for Elasticsearch (the software that does the indexing for searches). I've emailed Grahame and Philip about it but as they are in the US it's still early morning there.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I was about to ask about that been happening for me for about 3 hours now. Thanks.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like it started yesterday.

20. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Hello there, I've been running into a technical issue with the search field for the forums. For the last 2 days, I've found that no search is working successfully, no matter what topic. I keep getting an error message saying the search cannot be completed.

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yep - we're having an ongoing issue with the search function. Unfortunately our server admin is away on vacation and is unable to access the hosted server we're on til he gets back. :( Hopefully things will be fixed later next week. I don't have access to that server so I can't do anything.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Hiya. Can the tech Mods look into something for me, please?

Where someone has taken advantage of the option to change their avatar/user name, is there some part of the account that still remembers what the old name was? And could the BBCode taggy thing be referring to that?

I have a player still saying he is not getting my alerts, despite me using his number AND the name on his avatar. The only stone left unturned is that I'm sure he used to have a longer name, on his avatar, so I am running the possibility past you.

23. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Ok, no problem, that helps. Thank you! :)

24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Was just going to mention the search problem too, glad it's not just my computer.

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Nah - it's board-wide. I suggest using Google for thread searching til it's fixed. Just put 'site:boards.theforce.net' (without the quotes) at the end of your search argument to limit your results to the boards.

Edit - Sith-I-5, if you PM me the current user name I can check if he/she has been renamed. There's an 'old username' section on the user's profile if the name has been changed.