main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Watched thread notification emails have stopped. LAJ_FETT or Grimby?

2. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I got the missing emails, so things may be working again.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It could've been a slight hiccup with the email server, we're not showing any issues on our end.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Nothing in the server error log to indicate a problem.

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    There's something going on on the server, or at least a server somewhere in the chain. Emails are now being delayed 10 to 15 minutes, and I just received a Tapatalk private message notification an hour after the message came in.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like we did have a problem between 9 and 10 PM PT last night. The server error log has connection error messages for the mail server. Nothing since though. It could have been an intermittent problem earlier in the day and then the server needed a reboot. If I see any more messages today I'll shoot Grahame an email.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    OK, thanks for looking into it. Emails are still being delayed quite a bit; one email for a post made at 8:10 AM ET today arrived at 12:52 PM ET.

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No messages so far today.

9. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Hi there. :) I'm attempting to solve a cut and paste issue. Perhaps someone knows an easy remedy.

When I cut and paste my fan fiction installments from Word to the reply box, there are no longer any spaces between my paragraphs. As you know, it’s very time-consuming to space the entire entry again, especially when it's rather long. Nevertheless, that’s what I've had to resort to.

I already checked the 'Questions about the new boards?' thread over at 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource', where the problem is addressed with no definitive answers.

I’m using a PC. Some have suggested to change browsers. I've tried Explorer, Chrome and Firefox with no luck. Others claim that switching fonts can resolve the issue. I haven't discovered a font that fixes the spacing.

Any help would be appreciated tremendously. Also, if there’s a better place to post this inquiry, please let me know. Thank you for your time.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It Is Your Destiny: What a strange problem! I've been using word to write lengthy posts and copy/paste all the time and I've never run into this dilemma, so long as it was just straight-up cut-and-paste. I have, however, had some problems modifying the spacing after I cut/paste, because sometimes the text box for posting doesn't show the later spaces I try to add in. But if I just go ahead and click "Post Reply," those invisible spaces show up. (And I should add, I use Chrome).

A second possibility you might try, if you haven't already, is paste everything into "More Options" (to the right of "Preview"). I'm not sure how much that might help, depending on your situation.

Does the problem come from copy/pasting many spaces at one time (ex: 20+), or have you tried pasting only small sections at a time?

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Does the issue persist when you use the "remove formatting" button (top-right button on the format bar, before "font family")?

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The boards are loading extremely slow. All other web pages and their forums pop right up.

Edit: Oh well now it's fine.

13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I had a momentary case of slowness while posting something in fanfic resource a couple minutes ago, but thought it was just me. Guess not.

14. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I've been using Libre Office (It's free) to cut and paste with and so far experienced no issues with spacing; although, you should have no problems with Word to begin with. Good luck.

15. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Thanks for the kind response Barriss_Coffee. :) Yes, it's quite bizarre. If I may ask, what version of Word are you using? Also, do you have 'Line and Paragraph Spacing' set to 1.0?

I've had the 'phantom' spaces issue as well, so you're not alone there. They seem to show up after I click 'Post Reply' just as you described.

I'll definitely try Chrome again to double check. As for the 'More Options' reply box, the result is no different. Still no spaces.

No, it's not about pasting many spaces at once. Here's an example:

Paragraph 1.

Paragraph 2.

Paragraph 3.

shows up as...

Paragraph 1.
    Paragraph 2.
    Paragraph 3.

Yes, the issue persists. The 'remove formatting' button doesn't alter the spacing. Thank you for the suggestion JoinThe Schwarz. :)

Thanks benknobi1. :) I just acquired LibreOffice. Gotta run for now, but I'll give it a shot later and let you know how it turns out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I truly appreciate the help. Thanks again everyone.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I also find it easier to copy and paste from the document you wrote the material into a plain txt file, then copy and paste that into here and works fine.

V-2 likes this.
  17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    It Is Your Destiny: I just tried it with both Microsoft Word 2007 and 2013, and they both show the paragraph spacing. I have it set at 1.0 -- single space, with 0 pt spacing in the paragraph tab for the"before" and "after" options. I tried playing around with the settings and I still didn't have a problem copying and pasting with spaces, regardless whether the options were multispacing text automatically or if I did it manually. My best guess at this point is it must be a browser issue. Very odd!

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We've had a lot of people in fanfic find that copy/pasting from Word is screwing up the spacing and it seems to be random as to what the spacing does. I've recommended people put it into notepad first (fixing anything that happens there) and then copy/paste to here, that seems to help.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Something to remember is that while what you type into Word should in theory be formatted in a way that all Rich Text Format programs can read, Microsoft are known for doing things their own way to achieve their ends and there might be various pieces of errant information in the background of the formatting structure that are causing you issues. I encounter it when dealing with transferring text from some Word (and Excel) docs into other software programs that are using RTF text editors (and some were from the company I used to work for).

The best thing would be what mav and others have suggested.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    What I've done on occasion was actually put my forum formatting into my document. I use Open Office and haven't had the paragraph problem very often, and when I do, I just fix it. I also paste the document in portions so I can format it along the way. It makes things easier for me.

Also, in the text box, there is an A/A button in the upper-right corner. Click it to switch to plain text. I generally do this when I paste text, as RTF will really screw up my formatting.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    This is pretty much what I do. I use Apache OpenOffice, and type raw BBCode into the document instead of utilizing the program's own formatting options. Then I come here, switch to the plain text editor, paste, switch back to the rich text editor for final proofreading, and post.

Also, the issue with missing lines is often caused by accidentally using line breaks instead of paragraph breaks in the word processor. In Microsoft Word, the latter is produced with the Enter or Return key alone, while the former is produced with Shift+Enter or Shift+Return. It is therefore very easy to inadvertently insert a line break instead of a paragraph break by accidentally depressing the Shift key for the first letter of the new paragraph a split second too early, and only paragraph breaks are typically recognized upon pasting into the text box here; line breaks are usually ignored. You can check for this by selecting the option in Word to "show all characters" (the toolbar/ribbon button looks like a paragraph symbol); paragraph breaks will show up as a paragraph symbol, while line breaks will show up as an arrow pointing down and to the left.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FYI - looks like we've been getting connection error messages from the mail server since last night. I've emailed Grahame and Philip about it. So if you aren't getting alert emails, that would be why.

23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I was just coming here to report that. :)

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - it's still an issue. Not sure what's up at this point.

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Emails appear to (finally) be working again. I just received one for a new post in the Streak for Colors game.