main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but can you tell how to do a spoiler tag for certain information on my post.

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Just wanted to add a vote for fixing the quote nesting problem. It's sort of odd that the mods are forced to stop double and triple posting when the nesting problem is basically the same thing.

If it can't be fixed technically, perhaps the mods could simply remind posters to edit their posts?

Ewok Poet and bobbyroberts like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [spoiler]Spoiler goes here[/spoiler]

If you do it right it should look like
    Spoiler goes here

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You know how you can hover over your little avatar to the left of a thread title and a pop up will show how many posts you've made in that thread? Is it only counting posts since the move to Xenforo?

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    A quick test with an old Comms thread confirms that, yes, it is only counting post-move... posts.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  6. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Recently, I haven't gotten an alert when someone quotes me. Can you take a look at that?

7. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 24, 2014
    Any word on the quote-tree/inadvertent quadruple/quintuple posting issue? Just had an interaction in the spoiler forum again where a poster admitted they really don't like how the automatic quote function works, but going back in and manually cutting out the double-triple-quadruple posts being automatically quoted gets confusing, so they end up cluttering the forums as an alternative to accidentally butchering their own posts.

It seems to be pretty representative of how the quote function is used: All they wanna do is directly reply to the most recent post, and not the 3 preceding it, but the software defaults as they stand make that impossible, and so we're left with a situation where hitting reply leads to the same three or four posts being constantly reposted on a single page, when most people find that reduces readability, and they don't really want/need those other posts in there anyway.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Frankly I'm not in the least bit sold on the only one quote camp. I see multiple embeddings used for context quite often, but I'm also not convinced it needs the full five, as two or three layers seems like a sufficient number for most situations. Furthermore, I don't see a reason to put special impetus on the users who want additional quotes for context to figure out the BBCode to get that context, which is what the one layer quote system would require, when currently our system makes no such demands.

Consequently I'm thinking the best route might be to reduce the cap from 5 to 3 or 2, and I'm debating the best way to roll it out. I doubt it needs a big announcement.

EHT, pronker and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Not asking for an announcement or a proclamation at all. Honestly, if you just adjusted the limit back down to 1 (preferable) or 2 (better than the 5 we're at) and never said anything about it, I'd bet a lot of people wouldn't even notice - which says something as to how useful that function even is (not very)

I don't think the multiple embeddings are being used for context, they're just left in there because it's easier to leave them in than to manually go back and strip them out. It seems fairly obvious that's the case, especially considering posters usually cite that as the reason when questioned as to why they do it, and your initial confusion as to the board's inability to do this thing was due to posters incorrectly stripping out all those unnecessary quotes when they did take the initiative to try and clean up all the extra clutter of triple & quadruple posts the reply button automatically adds.

And I don't see a poster going back 3 or 4 posts to multiquote someone as a "special impetus." For one, they're already taking the initiative to go back in the thread, which means they're very aware of the context and have proven to be following the conversation, and secondly, the automatic quoting doesn't necessarily include the relevant post in the first place. For example, if I wanted to quote a post from the previous page as a relevant direct example (i.e. "here's a thing you can't do" "this guy says it's possible" "here's how it's possible", I couldn't just hit "reply" and the last 5 replies would be swooped up in that. I'd still have to manually go back to that reply, hit reply so the post would correctly be quoted, copy + paste that stuff, hit reply on the post I actually WANT to reply to, paste all that stuff into the window, and then compose my reply accordingly.

The automatic quoting doesn't do what you're claiming it would do in that example. What you'd need is a selectable multi-quote option that allows posters to tick a box or hit a button that remembers which posts you want quoted when you hit reply, and automatically fills that information in.

The idea that paying attention to how your posts look and what you're responding to is a "special impetus" doesn't track, for me. I'm unsure why people who can't figure out basic functions such as quoting/bolding should be catered to on a discussion forum over the people who actually care enough about the quality of their discussion to have learned how to use the board.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I usually do erase all embedded quotes except the ones I'm replying to directly, but that's just my distaste for clutter; it's the same reason I can't stand having more than 2-3 web pages open on a computer at once. And I always have to bite my tongue when I go help someone at work with a computer and the person has 10 windows open.

Tapatalk automatically eliminates embedded quotes and just quotes the poster to whom you are replying; I like that about it. And it has a multiquote option.

I'm certainly on board with capping the embedded quotes at 2-3 via the board software. However, if any forum moderator made an announcement along the lines of "NO EMBEDDED QUOTES" and started going trigger-happy with the edit function over embedded quotes, I would find it a bit too anal-retentive.

EHT likes this.
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd say to set the cap at three and be done with it. We lived in a cap of three for years on the IGN boards*, and it worked there. I see no reason why it can't be changed to three here.

*In a slightly different manner, though; on the IGN boards, further nesting was not stripped out as it is here, but rather broke in a very ugly manner upon parsing. Still, I don't recall seeing complaints about needing more than three in Comms.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Alright, let's try it out with three for a while, see what happens.

EHT, TK327, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  13. Bobby Roberts

Mar 24, 2014
    Cool. Thanks for hearing us out.

14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm just wondering for future reference - what are the maximum dimensions on the profile page for avatars?
    I don't mean when uploading, I mean in the near-upper left corner.

The square ones show up fine. The other dimensions show up vastly smaller on my profile page. Anything slightly rectangular seems to shrink to a 200x100 or 300x100 image instead. It gets difficult to see detail sometimes when that happens.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Not quite sure I understand your question, but the avatar displays on user cards and profile pages at 192 × 192 pixels. Does that help?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Mine's rectangular, and displays on my profile at 192x255, so doesn't shrink or anything. Could be a zoom issue, depending on what your browser settings are, though I don't imagine that'd really affect image size/dimensions.

Admiral Volshe and jcgoble3 like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Edit: The width will scale to 192 pixels, the length will scale appropriately to preserve the aspect ratio of the image (Meaning vertically long images show up better in most cases). In all cases the images have to be able to "crop to square," meaning Xenforo needs to be able to make a square image out of your provided one - ultra long or ultra tall images won't work without some clever use of transparent backgrounds.

jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  18. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That answers my question. Thank you!

19. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    How do I respond to only one part of a text? If a text is a huge block and I only want to respond to one sentence what do I do?

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

I guess that you're a Tapatalk user? When using the full site, simply remove bits of text you don't need.

21. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015

What is a Tapatalker actually?

22. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Tapatalk (not Tapatalker) is an app for keeping up with multiple forums at once.

But since you need help with something, would you mind telling me what you use to access the forums? What computer or mobile device, what browser or app and any other detail(s). Please. ;)

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You can either copy/paste the sentence and manually insert it inside [quote][/quote] tags, or click reply and then edit the post down by deleting text.

24. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015

pc computer.

25. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    For some reason, when I click "Reply" to a post, it no longer inserts the original post as quoted material. Is there a setting somewhere that I inadvertently turned off?

It used to work... but now when I click "Reply" I just get an empty (rich-text) box. I can insert a quote manually, of course, but I lose all the need metadata (author, link, etc.).

Apologies -- have sneaky suspicion this is a question with silly/obvious answer, but it's eluding me at the moment.

Thank you!!!

Valairy Scot likes this.