main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Where's the "search threads" function?

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Disabled. Check out this thread for more information.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I got that trying to embed a YouTube video.

4. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Too many connections means precisely what it says - too many connections. This does not necessarily reflect the number of users, but the general number of mySQL requests.

5. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Either it's that...or voodoo. I dunno, boards don't always connect for me at certain times of the day lately (around 5PM East Coast US time, and also around midnight). Guess this is part of that SQL thing?

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Perhaps that's when the server resets or performs a daily cron job? Paging Grimby and LAJ_FETT.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Cron jobs to date roll, etc run around midnight Pacific time. Other ones run during the day but that's the time that I sometime get boards glitches. I think backup is around 2AM Pacific time.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Makes sense, as I often run into the later. Thanks for fast response to this question, given how trivial it is to most and all. :)

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's right around the time the cron jobs run to do the date roll, etc (12 AM Pacific time). You probably got caught up in that.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I'm not a regular patron of these forums anymore, but I was wondering if there was any way to restore the old posts that were cut off when the forums were moved several years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, I encountered something odd. I was trying to find a story thread started by Snokers before his username change and nothing prior to the said name change appeared in his profile.

http://boards.theforce.net/search/10313414/

There should be at least two more threads.

Is this a bug or does this normally happen after one changes their username?

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Vialco - research is ongoing regarding that matter, and if there is a resolution, our mods and admins will find it.

My advice is to not hold your breath, and to assume, for your own sanity, that that stuff is gone.

Ewok Poet - your link does not work for me. Have you tried looking for these threads under the new name, not the old one? I have been wandering through the name change thread, and I think Ramza said that name changes worked retro-actively, and earlier material would be linked to the new name.

14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You did not read my post correctly.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Sounds like a bug; posts are associated with user number, not name. Not sure what could be causing it if the threads are newer than our turning search off.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

If that helps, the thread I'm looking for was started in either July or August, but I believe the name change was made after you turned it off, or slightly before it.

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The threads definitely wouldn't show up, then. Later posts in said threads ought to, unless there's an unexpected interaction there. Name change shouldn't affect that.

18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Threads I started but didn't update since search was turned off don't appear in my profile (and I never changed names), so that sounds like the explanation to me. EP the stories you're looking for should be listed in the fic index under the name "Snokers".

pronker likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That makes sense. Thank you.

EDIT: This was a response to Ramza, as my question was about Elastisearch.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    See this thread. Long story short: it should be possible in theory, but a variety of problems mean that it's unlikely at this point.

21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, I am pretty sure that this has happened to me a third time, here: 140 Characters – Darth Vader’s Twitter feed | DDC 2016 (image-heavy) | New tweets 26 Jan 2016

I posted from my phone, maybe an hour before, and now on my PC, can see no sign of the entry.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We had a spate of 'too many connections' messages in the server error log around 45 minutes ago - maybe you got caught up in that? I've looked at the error messages but I can't tell the user ids of those involved.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Just a couple of minutes ago, I tried to load this link from an email notification, and got a blank screen with the message "An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again." I refreshed the page, and it loaded fine on the second try.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Looks like you might have gotten hit by the cron jobs. Your post time here is just after midnight Pacific Time (west coast US) and that's when they run. They do stuff like the date roll, stats, etc. I've often been on that early and I see some weird glitches then.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later
    Just came up @ 08.00 GMT.

Seems to have (been) corrected (itself) now.