main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Wow, that's great, thanks!

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ignore this.

My end.

3. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    I think it would be helpful to fan writers, rpg and the Forum in general for there to be a sub- forum Heading on the same level as Literature for threads on the Planets, Sentients, Cultures, Enviornment, Politics, Technology, Magic, the Force and Governments within the SWU

I believe they warrant their own sub-forums since these subjects are not limited by any one Media format (literature, tv, films, games, etc.) and apply across the whole SWU

Anyway, that's my big idea for the Night ;-)

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    When thinking about upgrading Xenforo, and looking at all the little things that it can do, something that would be handy, I think, is that when you are typing out a tag, eg Whatever, and you have typed enough letters for a popup to appear at the bottom showing actual people's names, it would be great if clicking on the person you meant, auto-completed the one that you are typing.

It feels counter-intuitive that it doesn't do that.

Thank you.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It, uh, totally does do that, at least in Chrome anyway. That must be something with your browser.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know it does it in Firefox. What browser are you using?

7. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    He's probably using Internet Explorer because I did the same thing yesterday.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Works for me in Firefox as well. I can also use the up and down arrow keys followed by the Enter to select the one I want.

9. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Is it possible to have a Tech area? What I mean is just an area where tech guys/girls can talk about technology stuff and get help with technological issues?

10. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    There's proper forums for that, no? I mean... I suppose a thread would be fine, but you're suggesting a dedicated sub-forum, right? That seems somewhat out-of-place.

Is that something that's coming? I've been wondering why we're still on (what I believe is) v1.1. Having worked with Xenforo quite a bit, I'd help out with that and other stuff like getting the most out of its styling capabilities, but then again I think you probably already have enough people who know what's what.

11. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Quite soon, actually.

And by "soon" I don't mean 2 years from now after everyone thinks it was just a bad April Fool's joke, I mean in the next few months.

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh, does it? Yeah, I am using a version of Internet Explorer (whichever one comes with Windows 7), but I do have a Firefox installed, so I will test this out on that. Thanks guys.

pronker likes this.
  13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I'd like a thread like that. I've ran into tech problems and slowly found how to resolve them but I don't like to join new forums to ask how to do it because alot of times they can be quite rude.

Can you explain the Tapatalk following system?

AstroDroid88 likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There's also a Computer Help thread in Community. You can see it here. This thread is more for help with these forums.

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Sorry, I gotta ask, how does Xenforo know to put an apostrophe into the Pokémon word?

16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wait...what?

Let's test this. Pokemon pokemon pokemon.

EDIT: It didn't happen. You sure you didn't copy and paste from one of us who use multiple keyboards?

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    *Kisses teeth*

I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.

Apart from that one.

EDIT: Though if it is not working for you, maybe the solution is local to my devices, eg. PC and smartphone.

18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Sith-I-5, that would be my guess too; sounds like you could have some kind of autocorrect happening? (In case anyone is curious, the alt code for the acute-accented lowercase e on a PC is 0233.)

19. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Was that a reference to a show or film I don't know? I was genuinely confused at what was going on and some boards indeed have processes going on that can change words after the post has been made.

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Yes, the word gets auto-corrected with an apostrophe as soon as it is sure that I have moved onto the next word, in both BBCode and Rich Text Format, and I didn't know how Xenforo was doing that.
    Even if the mods had given the system a dictionary of words that it should not be surprised to encounter in the future, I doubted that would have been one of them.

21. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    You've probably added it to your autocorrect list. I've done that for many of the SW characters/names because it makes it easier.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    No.

My edit box consistently gives red underlines for things it does not like. If there was a user-operated auto-correct that I knew about, it would have stopped flagging my BBCode tags, years ago.

This one word is the first time that my posting on Xenforo has shown any hint of initiative. It is no conscious action of mine that is doing this.

23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Xenforo doesn't have an autocorrect built-in. My guess would be that something somewhere in the line of systems on your computer or device that autocorrect is referencing has Pokémon in there with the correct accent. Mind you that does not mean you put it there, I am not accusing you of associating with the Pokémaniacs, of being aware of the Pokéraps, of striving to be the very best like no one ever was. At no point will we attribute test results to your ability to catch them, and we will not assume your cause is the training of said creatures.

Valency Jane, EHT, jcgoble3 and 4 others like this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    My iPhone puts the accent in Pokémon, but only when the Spanish keyboard is activated. [face_dunno]

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't chase them myself, but I link to news articles to stay in with the "cool kids" on FanFic.

Maybe my phone and PC has an auto-correct that only works in the tfn edit box. Like a tech' Perfect Storm.

Thanks, All.