main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post technical questions and issues here. Yes, the layout is slightly different!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you so much - was not aware of this and now I will be also be able to prevent it on websites I'm working on. :)

2. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    so, i've got a question concerning alerts. they keep not activating in certain threads after a certain amount of time, and the only way i've found to fix it is to unwatch the thread and then re-watch it again. i'm not the only one that's noticed this as a problem before. far as i know i'm the first one to actually mention it here.

any idea what might be going on with that?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That just sounds like an outright bug in the software. Are there any obvious patterns, like the thread being dormant for a long period of time, or past a certain length?

4. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    it's happened with threads with a lot of activity, and threads in the RPF as well that get one or two posts a day or less at times. one's over 800 pages (but has been happening since it was around 200), others are less than 50 pages. i'll keep on the look out as i see it happen more, and take note of the circumstances better, and i'll tag a couple of people and see if they have any better insight.

WookieeRage, Lady Belligerent

what circumstances have you guys had threads not having alerts updating you guys? and do you know of anyone else that's having the same problem? i know there were more, i just can't remember them off the top of my head right now.

5. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    All I know is that I've had issues with followed threads alerting me on multiple occasions. Although it may have something to do with the alert menu in general. (Clicking/Not clicking alerts and carrying on.)

6. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i've consistently done things the same way every time, never clicking on the alert menu, just highlighting it to get the drop down menu, and it still happens. that's one thing i can give you consistently.

7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Just to throw this out there: (For context, I have notifications in the alert menu turned off, instead opting for email notifications only. However, the system that produces email notifications is AFAIK the same one that produces the ones in the alert menu.) I have noticed a few times that I stop receiving emails for one thread, without any apparent issues with the email server. Each time, I discover that the last time I read new posts in the thread, I read to the end of the page, but failed to notice that a new page beyond that had begun. The result is that when I exit the thread, the posts on the new page remain marked as unread. Then, when additional new posts come in, the software sees that there are already unread posts in the thread, and thus it doesn't send out a new notification thinking that I still haven't responded to the last one; a new notification is only sent out when the new post is the only unread post in the thread.

Could this be what's happening? If each time this happens, you notice that the first unread post is the first post on a page, then this is likely what's going on. If it happens with the first unread post in the middle of a page, though, then this is not the issue.

A Blind Prophet likes this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Lame question alert: changing intro line for a story to show 'updated feb. 14th!!' status is done how, again? [face_blush]

9. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Click "Edit" on the first post of the thread, then click "More Options...". The screen that comes up should give you the ability to edit the thread title.

A Blind Prophet and pronker like this.
  10. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    that might be it, but there are threads that i know for a fact that i have cleared it every single time, and it still does it. i've become so paranoid about that, that i check the thread when someone even likes a post i make, because i want to make sure it doesn't leave an "unread" check on it in any capacity, because i've had that do it before as well. and having like notifications on or off doesn't actually help with that (have tested). i've actually had it not give me a notification when i was the last person to post in the thread, and no one else did for several hours after that. so... for what that's worth, what jcgoble said could be part of it, but i know for a fact it isn't the entirety of the problem.

11. Jedi Battlemaster Drallig

Jedi Battlemaster Drallig Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 23, 2017
    --Quick question: How many edits does a post in the Role Playing Game thread/forum have?

I believe post editions are unlimited in the Role Playing Resource thread/forum, but I'd Appreciate clarification on both counts Please :-B

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Edit time in the RPF proper is 90 minutes, edit time in RPR is unlimited.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Hey guys, I am not very technical here when it comes to what would be causing this issue but I felt I should post in case it's affecting others. The past week or so, perhaps only 5-6 days, I have been unable to post from any Safari browser whether it's on my phone or the computer. When I log in, it shows me logged in, it even allows me to edit my signature which I have done successfully, but I cannot post. When I go to post, it says "You must be logged in to do that," and I'm thinking... uhh, I am logged in! It shows me logged in. But if I reload the page, it shows I need to login again. I even tried once 10 times in a row just to see but it still never let me. It works fine on Chrome, so it seems to be a browser-specific and recent issue. Perhaps something to do with how cookies are being stored or communicated, because it cannot remember that I'm logged in even if I login again and again.

Any suggestions? I never had issues before the past week.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Try checking the stay logged in box when you log in, see if that changes it. Otherwise you may need to delete your cache and cookies associated with our site and see if that helps.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If that doesn't help make sure Safari is allowing cookies for this site. It's possible the security settings in the browser are too strict. (I don't use Safari so I don't know how to check it. However a Google search should turn up plenty of information.)

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Are nested quotes being phased out? I get notifications that lead to nothing.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're not being phased out but we did reduce them down to three like a year ago or so.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    In this case, it should be two. And the original is not visible at all. Wondering if it's a bug.

19. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    How do I fight a previous ban? if possible?

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Quite possibly. Do you have a link to the post in question?

We do not retroactively overturn past bans under any circumstances.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, so what happened was that the poster originally left formatted quote tags that sent you a notification despite their not actually quoting you (a not unheard of markup error if you're using the reply button). Then they fixed their markups, but you still received the notification.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Ah...makes sense! :) Thank you.

24. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    so, i'm still having the whole not getting thread updates, even though i'm making sure that i've looked at everything and cleared out my previous updates. it's actually getting worse, and i have no clue what might be causing it. help me ramzi-wan adminobi, you're my only hope.

J7Luke and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  25. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I just have a question...

Is there anyway to get audio notifications when we get notifications here (desktop computer). Like, maybe a little "ding," when we get something new. Just wondering.

Thank you!

J7Luke likes this.