main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post the top 10 reasons you loved/hated AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Duckman, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLady23

MLady23 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    Ten Reasons Why I Loved AOTC???

1. "Curious..."
    2. "Blast! This is why I hate flying!"
    3. "Good job."
    4. "Get 'em, Dad! Get 'em!"
    5. "I don't think so."
    6. "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi."
    7. "A Jedi! Whaddaya know!"
    8. "How embarrassing...how embarrassing."
    9. "Brave of you, boy..."
    10."Begun, the Clone War has."

2. Darth_Mauve

Darth_Mauve Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    Again from the rarest... the gay sci-fi fan:

I particularly LOVED Anakin's shirtless nightmare scene.

He was saying "No, no, no" and I was sayin "Yes, yes, yes!"

***And before any Quakers bitch about that, shut it and gripe out all the "Padme-in-skimpy-costume" fanatics. There's enough love for all.***

I'm thru...... Gotta go faint now.

3. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Why I loved it in no particular order:

1: Anakin. I could realy relate to Anakin as a character. This is more of a personal thing than a universal thing though.
    3: Hayden and Ewan: Both brought so much to the roles with stupendous acting.
    4: Love story. Yeah, I liked it. So sue me.
    5: Good strong story. How people can say otherwise is beyond me. No, SFX don't make a story, but they also don't not make a story either.
    6: Amazing action sequences. From Yoda to the final battle to the asteroids to the rain fight, to the chase. Everything was just fun and fit well into the story.
    7: Good comedy: Yeah there were some bad jokes, but I think the good far outweighs the bad.
    8: Nice main theme. Across the Stars is an instant classic with me.
    9: Good special effects. Oh no! Anakin on the shaak looks bad! That's what? 1 out of 5,000 effects shots? The clonetroopers were amazing, the arena beasts were amazing and Yoda was more alive than ever. To those who dream of stop-motion and models I'll quote The Princess Bride. 'Get used to disappointment.'.
    10: Contains the best-acted scenes in any SW movie all thanks to Hayden. I speak of from the slaughter to the funeral.

4. DarkLord_of_theJedi

DarkLord_of_theJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    1. Anakin's character, esp in the slaughter/confession
    2. Dark, complex, machiavellian plot
    3. Obi-Wan's character, Ewan shines
    4. Yoda... enough said, btw CG is wonderful! (no sarcasm there :) )
    5. Foreshadowing (even the you'll be the death of me quip)
    6. Witty, not silly humor
    7. Interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan (pure gold, the bickerings back and forth are gems)
    8. Dooku... Chris Lee definately is the man to play bad guys/charismatic seperatists :p
    9. More Palpatine, less Sidious. A nice balance and contrast compared to TPM. They'll probably have an equal amount of time in III, becuase... they're the same person!
    10. Cool new Jedi (Kit Fisto, Luminara, Aayla).

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Nice, Duckman ;)
    My Reasons:

10. The Music, especially Across the Stars. John Williams is a GOD! :)

9. Yoda

8. Dooku, very cool.

7. The Love Story. Yeah, go ahead and punch me. :p

6. Palpy, was there ever a more delicious villain? More Ian!!!

5. Great CG.

6. Beautiful and foreshadowing-laced costumes

5. Obi, Obi, Obi! [face_love]

4. Tattooine. Crucial to the saga, with one of the most powerful and important scenes I've ever seen in SW or any movie.

4. Lightsaber action.

3. Padme & Anakin. I believed their interaction, love story aside, to be genuine and heartfelt.

2. Anakin. Getting from 9 year old slave boy to old Vader was difficult, but Hayden did it. Astounding performance of a complex character that I love.

1. Foreshadowing, connections, wit, drama, darkness, what doesn't this movie have? BEAU-TI-FUL!!!!

6. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    Here's my top ten reasons I loved AOTC:

1. George Lucas
    2. John Williams
    3. Hayden Christensen
    4. Ian McDiarmid
    5. Ewan McGregor
    6. Christopher Lee
    7. Ronald Falk
    8. Ben Burtt
    9. Frank Oz and Rob Coleman
    10. Natalie Portman

7. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Top 10 reasons I loved AOTC:

1. The excellent performances from the three main leads (Hayden, Ewan, and Natalie).
    2. John Williams's score.
    3. Two words: YODA. FIGHTS.
    4. The arena battle.
    5. The special effects.
    6. Learning about Boba Fett's origins.
    7. Watching Anakin's further descent to the dark side.
    8. Threepio's hilarious escapades in the final third of the film.
    9. Jar Jar having a purpose.
    10. Watching Palpatine's scheming, and the further weakening of the Republic.

8. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    10. Cool side villians like Poggle, Jango, the Techno Union guy, clonetroopers, and the Kaminains.

9. 200 hundred sabre's going off at the same time.

8. Kit busting out a big smile after helping C3PO

7. Dooku becoming one of the greastest characters ever.

6. Natalie on a drafty day.

5. I sense you'll be the death of me<>Obi-Wan is going to kill me.

4. Ewan became Obi-Wan.

3. Hayden was incredible from guible
    teen to dark poet to lonely little boy who just lost his mother to swordsman.

2. The shot of Yoda taking off after dropping off Mace and Kit. Amazing visual and scope, and the most memorable image ever.

1. Yoda going CTHD

9. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    1. Hated Natalie Portman -The worst actress in the history of Star Wars

2. Too much CGI

2. Flat performance by Hayden Christian, Nice try but he didn't make the cut.

3. Nice job by Ewan McGreggor, though

4 Yoda fight, SORRY it was interesting, and yet almost comical, sorry - I would have rather had left to the imagination. Yoda from TESB is the REAL Yoda!

5 Rick McCallum should go back to making T.V. commercials

9...Why bother anymore

10 STAR WARS IS DEAD

10. JediMasterDude

JediMasterDude Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Let's go half and half, to be balanced.

Five reasons why I love Episode II, in no particular order:

1. Obi-Wan keeps getting cooler and cooler. The longer hair and the beard looked very cool on him, and seeing him as a Master and still young gives me new joy and love for Sir Alec's Obi-Wan.

2. Yoda's fight scene. We needed to be shown why Yoda was is considered such a high-level Jedi, and see him actually fighting. And the more serious we see him in the prequels, the funnier he is in his act in ESB when Luke first meets him.

3. CGI Yoda in Ep 2 is the best I have seen him look. Not to knock Muppet Yoda, but CGI Yoda can walk around and have all sorts of facial muscle movements that Muppets can't. That makes for more realism.

4. Christopher Lee was great as Count Dooku! That deep voice of his really fit well.

5. Seeing two or three dozen Jedi fighting all at once!! Holy shnikies, Batman!!

Five reasons why I hate Episode II, in no particular order:

1. Padme's nipple thrust and having Anakin sleep shirtless. Sexual sell-out if you ask me, and sexual sell-outs (with the exception of Leia's bikini, probably because I was not past puberty then) do not belong in Star Wars, the great family-fun movie saga.

2. The romance was pulled off very, very poorly, and it's completely unbelievable in my eyes. The heart-to-heart scenes in the OT (Leia and Han in the Falcon; Luke and Leia in the Ewok village; etc.) are much better.

3. Putting Anakin in black in almost every scene is an overkill way to tell us he will turn to the dark side. We *know* he's going to! They don't have to shove it down our throats.

4. Anakin should have sobbed his soul out when he was talking with Padme in the Lars's garage. His mother died and he just killed dozens of beings (I assume the sandpeople are more animal than sentient), so a real sobbing scene was deserved right there.

5. There should have been *explicit explanation* in the movie of the plot hole of why Anakin didn't check on his mom for a whole month. That's a huge plot hole.

6. (Minor dislike) There should have been all colors of lightsabers in the movie. I just hate the limiting idea of "only these colors."

Neutral thus far: I don't know if I like Hayden as Anakin yet. It will take a while before my brain is unbiased enough to make a judgement.

-JMD

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    1. The new planets

2. The lightsaber duel

3. the conflict between Obi-Wan and Anakin

4. Unassuming Palpatine

5. Master Yoda

6. The Story itself

7. Natalie Portman

8. Dex diner

9. The clones attacking

10. Jar-Jar Binks(he was cool in Episode II)

12. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    We can only list 10 reasons why we liked it...?

13. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    Sure, I have 1000 reasons why I loved it... Oh? 10 reasons?! How am I suppose to limit myself like that?!

:D

14. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    I'm noticing the lists from pople who loved it are much stronmer and more cohorwnt. Why is this?

15. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    I loved all of AOTC but as with all SW movies what makes them extra special is the details. So my top 10 focuses only on the small stuff

1. Window-fixer Robot

2. three moons of Tatooine

3. robots in the background when Anakin is speaking to watto

4. Gungans on Naboo having a discussion

5. funky neon advertising on Coruscant

6. Jawa Juice

7. Cool sliding glass in Padme's apartment

8. the jedi with the two antennas in the bottom corner of the screen during the Jedi temple screen

9. the lizard looking padawan during the Yoda and the younglings scene

10. Dexter pulling up his pants as he hugged OB1

16. shakermaker

shakermaker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Loved.

10. CGI
    9. "I love democracy"
    8. Dooku
    7. Fight between Anakin and Dooku - great editing.
    6. Curuscant chase scene
    5. "Jedi buisness - go back to your drinks"
    4. Arena battle
    3. Obi vs. Jango
    2. Everything that Yodo does and says during the battle scene.
    1. Yoda fighting Dooku - the greatest 30 seconds in the entire saga so far.

17. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    "I'm noticing the lists from pople who loved it are much stronmer and more cohorwnt. Why is this?"

Because we that can actually enjoy the movies like movies should be enjoyed, without letting a few bad dialogue and acting spots turn us off are generally happier and ultimately glad that we can actually like them, and enjoy what Lucas is giving to us. Which also puts us in an ultimately better mood. That's why we are so proud of our lists. We enjoy this stuff.

18. zap2012

zap2012 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    here are mine:
    10. Death Star plans
    9. Panning UP after the crawl
    8. Obi-Wan using the force to pull the map to him after the younglings scene
    7. "Good job."
    6. After Dooku says "You are hopelessly out-numbered" or whatever, and Mace Windu says "I don't think so" and we see Plo Koon and Ki-Adi-Mundi and a BUNCH of other Jedi ignite their sabers... oh GOD, that was SO cool.
    5. The entire arena thing, especially when the Jedi run towards the droids, and when Kit Fisto force pushes 3PO
    4. "Anakin, Ankain. NOOOOO!"
    3. The Tusken slaughter. I've had chills during this scene every time i've seen the movie, and i've seen it four times now.
    2. Yoda and the Younglings... "Lost a planet, Master Kenobi, how embarassing." This scene is just awesome. seeing Yoda the teacher is such great contrast to seeing Yoda the warrior later, i get the feeling that Yoda would have been the most awesome kindergarten teacher EVER.
    1. Yoda vs. Dooku. Everything about this was SPECTACULAR. Yoda deflecting the force lightning, pushing those objects aside, that was great. the lines: "Much to learn you still have", "The Dark Side i sense in you, Dooku", "It looks as though this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the force, but by our skill with a lightsaber." And then the best part of the whole movie... Yoda is SUCH a bad ass, he doesn't even have to REACH over for his saber... instead, it comes to his hand... i LOVE that scene... i almost wet myself with excitement at that point in the film.

AOTC rocks, bring on EPISODE III

andy

19. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    10. Watto. I actually liked him in TPM, and having him return in a small role was fun to see again.
    9. Seeing the Lars homestead again. It's things like this that are really starting to connect the PT with the OT.
    8. Jar Jar Binks. No, I really bdon't like him. But I think it's really a great twist by GL to have Jar Jar be the one who officially sets the Empire into motion. that's what we get for bashing him so much.
    7. The Yoda -Dooku fight scene. Excellent and extremely fun.
    6. Seeing the Jedi in action. After having heard about and read about what the Jedi Order was, it was great to finally get a glimpse of what they really were capable of doing.
    5. Clone Troopers. I am fascinated every time they are on the screen. They're provide some of the best visuals in the film, and they are just plain cool.
    4. The interaction between Anakin and Palpatine. You can see the relationship is already forming. Since we all know where it ends, it's fun to see it in its relative infancy.
    3. Palpatine's grand plan. You begin to understand the brilliance and patience Palpatine shows as he makes his gradual rise to Emperor. Many leaders take the quickest path to power. Palpatine planned out the best path.
    2. Coruscant. Though we got smaller views of it in TPM, this was the first time we really get to see the many different parts ofthe Capital. After having heard and read so much about it, I had a vision of what it was like in my head. The visual provided by the movie was even better than what I had already imagined. The size and scope were captured perfectly.
    1. The final scene. When Palpatine is overlooking the clones loading onto the warships, with the Imperial March playing, knowing what this will eventually lead to, may be the best scene in any SW movie. To me, this was really the point where I was able to clearly conmnect the people and events of the PT with the people and events of the OT. I can't wait for Ep.III and Darth Vader.

20. NML4891

NML4891 Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I loved it.

I'll go in reverse order so you can read my number one last.

10. Less Jar Jar
    9. Clone Amries
    8. Way Darker than Episode I
    7. Anikin slicing up sand people
    6. The sound the astroids made when they exploided.
    5. Jar Jar basiclly ends the Republic(think about it)
    4. Count Dooku
    3. Anikin loses an arm.
    2. Natalie Portman is hot
    1. Yoda vs. Dooku fight.

21. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    I loved AOTC because:

1. Obi-Wan's strut
    2. Naboo
    3. I love hating Dooku and Palpatine
    4. The way Anakin would look at Padme
    5. Any and all sabre fights.
    6. Those things that went twaaaaannnnggggg
    7. Personally, I loved watching Anakin's face through the fireside scene. I think he did great.
    8. Padme's clothes
    9. Tatooine
    10. Anakins eyes

22. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Why I loved it:
    10. The scene where Obi-Wan LEAPS out of the window on to Zam's droid and heads off into the distance. I'm scared of heights. That scene bugged me... but in a fun way :)
    9. Beautiful Natalie Portman.
    8. "Not good." *YANK*
    7. Force lightning.
    6. A Jedi stampede with drawn lightsabers.
    5. "I Hate them!"
    4. The sadness I felt when Shmi died.
    3. The look Yoda gives Mace after hearing the voice of Qui-Gon.
    2. The relief I felt when the clones attacked.
    1. OBI-WAN KENOBI. My favorite SW character ever since I was a kid. Always good to see him kick butt!

23. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I liked about 60% of the film. That being said, here are the top ten reasons I was underwhelmed with AOTC:
    1. CGI. I'm sorry, I still don't like it. It just doesn't feel real to me, and so I can't really lose myself in the film.
    2. The car chase. I'd seen both settings already - they flew from The Fifth Element into Bladerunner.
    3. Dex's Diner. Nothing pulls me out of the GFFA than visiting Alice's Restaurant.
    4. The acting. Natalie doesn't do it for me - she's just reciting lines. Hayden has some flashes of brilliance (the oft-cited post-slaughter monologue), but he's so milquetoast in the rest of the film.
    5. Count Dooku - Following the Darth Maul rule, the villain is extremely underused. It's nice to see that they're giving the bad guys more lines, but still...
    6. The love story. Don't buy it. Were I to act like Anakin did, I'd have a restraining order slapped on me faster than I could blink. Natalie does such a "good" job hiding her affection for Anakin that she makes the entire love-story implausible.
    7. The dialogue. Yes, SW is not Moliere or Goethe, but the film shouldn't be dangerous to the lactose intolerant either. "It is obvious that this can only be settled by skill with a lightsabre?" Pure Velveeta. "I call it aggressive negotiations!" I call it reason to want Johnathon Hales' head on a stick!
    8. Baby Boba. Quite frankly I couldn't care less about his childhood - he didn't need motivations to hunt our heroes in the OT before, why do we suddenly need it now?
    9. C-3PO. GL managed to find a way to make me dislike 3PO. They turned him into a "duck" - with an intentional typo. They immediately shift his relationship with R2 from the TPM "Meet and Greet" to the OT "Bickering Odd Couple". 3PO is needlessly abusive; we don't see how that relationship developed (and no, it didn't happen between films), or why 3PO would suddenly heap abuse on everyone's favorite droid.
    10. The Yoda duel. NO NO NONO NO NONONO! It ruins his characterization! It undercuts the mysticism in TESB! It ruins the Sage archetype he had for four films! BAH!

AOTC was better than TPM, but not as good as ROTJ.

24. DAMI-WAN-KENOBI

DAMI-WAN-KENOBI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Just to confirm....

My country is called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Its constituant parts are England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

It is often abbreviated (and sensibly so) to the UK or Great Britain or Britain

Geographically the UK is situated in the British Isles which is made up of thousands of islands the two main ones being the island of Great Britain (in which is England, Scotland and Wales) and the island of Ireland (in which is the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland).

Technically, citizens of the UK are BRITISH. End of debate. They are obviously also Welsh/Scots/English or Northern Irish obviously.

Back to the thread....

Top Reasons to Love AOTC:

1. Ani and Obi relationship - well developed and played between friends, master - student, father/son - many levels and many emotions

Top Reasons to Hate AOTC:

1. Anakin losing arm scene was just awful. No emotion, no drama - blink and you'll miss it. Duff.

25. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    To play fair, I want people to know that even a "basher" like me can appreciate the finer points of AOTC.

What I liked:

10. Ideal conditions of the theater.
    9. New Zealand accents.
    8. The 12 "making of" featurettes on the OS.
    7. C-3P0's line about "machines making machines".
    6. Lightsaber sound effects.
    5. ANH cantina aliens on Coruscant commercial.
    4. Sonic charge sound effects.
    3. Jango Fett's helmet.
    2. Slave I.
    1. Natalie's young, sweet, sexy body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.