main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Post-TLJ, what would you like to see explored in the new canon? (Spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Raddinator, Dec 22, 2017.

1. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    So now that we've all (or almost all) seen TLJ, is there anything you'd like to see explored for the first time? Do you want more material set around the time of TFA/TLJ? Set after TLJ? Filling in the blanks between ROTJ and TFA?

Please DO NOT see this as a cue to start snarking about how you'd like to see something retconning TLJ, or how TLJ has totally killed your interest and so now you don't care about seeing anything explored. There are plenty of threads to complain about the movie already.

For myself, I'd like to see more about Luke's training temple and who his students were. I presume some of them may well be appearing in IX as the Knights of Ren, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't co-ordinate so that it matches up, and of course we wouldn't know which of them would end up going with Kylo.

Endor_boy likes this.
  2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I'd like to see the first 20 to 40% of the next movie start before TFA. Luke still a Jedi Master/Teacher. Ben still a Jedi Knight or Padawan. See what Snoke is doing. Perhaps some more background on the New Republic and Resistance. Then after that is done, go back to at least 5 years after TLJ with a resurging rebellion. Maybe even Rey with some students of her own.

And what is the #1 thing the First *Order* thinks it is bringing? Order. Well, the galaxy has had five years being ruled by people that can't even maintain order amongst themselves. The citizens are now rising up en masse to kick the F.O. to the curb. Kylo is actually escaping assassination attempts from his own military (especially Hux).

Kylo flees and runs to CGI mommy. She turns him over to Rey's Jedi Order for trial. Rey decides "he's too stupid to be left alive". Leia cuts off Rey's hand and Kylo and Leia restart the Sith Order. Somewhere in all of that, broom boy is involved.

3. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I want to see the who/what/why/when/where/how of Snoke.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Voltron64 and spicer like this.
  4. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I don't think TLJ really left anything for them to explore. 9 still has the possibility to detail Snoke, Knights of Ren, Luke's academy, and Ben's turn. Outside of that, the lack of time jump didn't leave much room for anything of interest. Maybe where Snap and Jess were might make for an interesting book.

In between I want to see more PT and OT era books. Specifically a Cassian book. Dude has stories to share I'm sure.

5. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I want to see what Luke was doing post-ROTJ. Where'd he go, what'd he see? I'd like to see Snap as well since we saw so much of him in Aftermath. Umm...I want to see Snoke explained.

6. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    Rey's Jedi have to start pretty much from scratch. That sounds interesting.

7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    There needs to be a lot of Luke Skywalker stories, really showing him as a powerful Jedi, builder of the republic etc. Not wanting to delve into "complaining" about TLJ but after the way Luke was handled and how his character turned out there really needs to be a lot made of him in the new EU to make up for it IMO

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I would definitely enjoy seeing some stories of Lukes Jedi Order before it was destroyed, I'm sure there's some good stories there.

9. lordpixie

lordpixie Jedi Master star 2

Aug 30, 2015
    Knights of ren, snoke and luke training jedi would all be great for me, oh and some more of the setup of the first order !!

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  10. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Luke starting the new Jedi Order/academy/whatever, would definitely be interesting to see, in any medium. But I'd prefer a proper adult novel, Bloodline-esque.

Also, with TLJ addressing some of the unknowns and leaving a lot of the post-ROTJ era open still, there's nothing to say that there can't be Mara Jade in the new canon... I'm still not sure if I like some of the beloved characters introduced in the new canon though.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    20-40% is asking way too much. Would I mind a short, Fellowship of the Rings-esque scene, maybe 10 minutes long? No, I would greatly enjoy that. Ditto having a few short flashbacks throughout the movie. But almost half the movie? That's not going to happen. However, I would like a time-skip forward, about 4 years (5 tops), like you said.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    How Maz came into possession of Luke's saber. It was my biggest question I was hoping would be answered in TLJ but wasn't. I'm hoping Maz gets her own novel or comic series before EP 9 that shows this and other adventures. There's a lot of potential with her since she's even older than Yoda so they can do stories about her in any era they want.

13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    CRIMSON ORDER - The new gritty revenge story by Marvel Comics.
    With Supreme Leader Snoke murdered at the hands of his apprentice, the Praetorian Guards have been purged from the First Order. Now the last noble guardsmen, Tir Tanos, has sworn vengeance against the traitor Kylo Ren. The dishonored guard will will fight through anyone- be it Resistance or First Order- to avenge Snoke and dispose of the traitor.

Coming August 2018.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  14. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Another thought that is just a seed.

TLJ set up that old Imperials were still around and made it clear they were not happy with the horrible tactics of the young F.O. posers. So Ep 9 doesn't have to have the final ending. It can begin a civil war between the Imperials and F.O. The Imperials, we find out, were just using the F.O. resources. Now that the galaxy is under F.O. rule, the Imperials can make their move from within the F.O. This is what allows the Millennium Falcon sized Rebellion time to recover and the Jedi to return.

It would be an interesting and new dynamic. And to make sure we don't have a literal Rebel v. Imperials battle thereafter, the F.O. actually grows in the experience and, to everybody's surprise, defeats the old Imperials.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I want to see the return of the Jedi Order as a powerful, numerous and organized entity. Lor San Tekka got it right in his first statement.

"Without the Jedi there can be no balance.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  16. Yandreth Tume

Yandreth Tume Jedi Knight

Aug 21, 2015
    I’d love to learn more about Amilyn Holdo’s life and adventures.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Second Imperial Civil War anyone? I doubt I'd enjoy it but it sounds cool. Maybe the Imperials dig up some old tech, or use tech intended to look like the old.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Oh, you were serious?

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't think this is Disneys plan post-TLJ. While the Jedi will return, I believe Rey is better suited keeping the order very small. Starting first with just 1 student for a time. With what happened to Luke in TLJ, Disney doesn't seem to be in a hurry to regrow the Jedi Order to large time soon.

However we may see an Order of large size if Disney goes the old republic path (rians trilogy?). Therefore we get a mix in future star wars content when it comes to sizes of orders.

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, I think that's the only way they can even half-justify how things have played out. Luke's own experience in trying to train the next generation will be treated as a cautionary tale. When she's ready, Rey will take one student and spend years with them. Half a decade, at least. Maybe more.

I don't see the Order breaking triple digits for a fairly long while.

Vialco likes this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

A thousand years of peace. That's what the Old Republic had, thanks mostly to the Jedi Order, ten thousand strong, that dedicated every day of its existence to guarding the Republic and preserving peace.

The New Republic had one disinterested Jedi Master. It's a miracle they got three peaceful decades.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  22. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'd like to see some focus given to Luke's other pupils, as others have said.
    I'd really like to see a novel telling Ben/Kylo's story from his pov, but probably not until after episode 9.
    I'm always down for stories focusing on the core characters, set during the OT and I'd like to get more of the OT cast in the early years after RotJ, lots of unexplored years still between the OT and the new movies.

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Luke seems like a rather poor judge of character, IMO.

24. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    I would like to see how the hell blowing up one solar system, makes the First Order win. Their is still Coruscant and Fondor and Kuat and Corellia. How had the government destabilized so quickly and so easily? Palpatine would be foaming at the mouth if he could've collapsed the government so easily. Grant it he had the Jedi to deal with; but what stopped him from building a Death Star in secret and blowing up Coruscant with all the Jedi on it.

25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    blowing up the Death Star seems to have done in the Empire rather easily