main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Post-TPM: Gone (Obi dealing w/Qui's death)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Feb 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    I m not satisfyed with Rogue Planets portrayal of Obi-Wan's attempting to deal with Qui's death

Here's the First Part. It takes place 5 days Post TPM. I'll post up new parts as often as I can

Part 1

*The laser wall hummed into existence, blocking Obi-Wan from aiding his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, in defeating this evil adversary.. Qui-Gon had fought him before, he had been positive it was a Sith Lord. Obi-Wan had the same feeling but he was only sure of one thing right now: he didn?t want his Master facing this psychopath alone.

All he could do was watch, Qui-Gon appeared to be winning. But the Jedi Master missed a crucial move, the Sith?s double-bladed lightsaber sliced into his mid-section. Qui-Gon crumpled to the floor, Obi-Wan?s cry of denial echoed through the chamber.*

It?s over and done
    But the heartache lives on inside (?Emotion? by Destiny?s Child)

?QUI-GON!!? screamed Obi-Wan as he was awoken violently. He sat up and tried to catch his breath, he turned toward the bed next to him hoping for the impossible. The bed was empty, this wasn?t a nightmare it was all too real.

Qui-Gon was dead. Five days ago Obi-Wan?s world had been turned upside-down, he hadn?t a decent night?s sleep in that time. Obi-Wan was also disturbed by painful headaches he seemed to have all the time, he could feel one coming on now. Obi-Wan made his way to the bathroom, sprayed cold water on his face and looked at the chrono: 2 am. He then heard the door slowly open, there stood nine-year old Anakin Skywalker: his Padawan Learner. Anakin had not moved in with him yet but his temporary quarters were next-door.

?Master, are you okay?? Anakin knew of Obi-Wan?s sleeping problems and of his headaches. Obi-Wan toweled his face dry.

?I?m fine Anakin, go back to sleep.? Anakin stood there for a minute, wondering if he should obey Obi-Wan?s request, he turned and slowly walked out. Obi-Wan found his headache pills and some sleeping pills, he took some and went back to bed.

The next day Anakin was still quite worried. Obi-Wan had never spoken to him much when they first met, but now it seemed to be less and less often. Anakin knew that Obi-Wan had felt resentful when Qui-Gon had first suggested the idea of taking him on as his Padawan, even though he still had one. Now, Qui-Gon was dead and Obi-Wan seemed to become more and more solemn as time went on, he never even spoke to his closest friends.

Anakin wished that his mother could be here and make things all clear and simple, but thinking about her created an ache that never went away. Qui-Gon had given him the strength he needed to leave his mother and everything he knew behind. He wasn?t sure if Obi-Wan could provide that kind of support now or ever.

Bant sat in the dining hall waiting for Obi-Wan. She?d been very surprised that he had even agreed to come meet her for morning meal. She had spoken to his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker, a few times and she liked him. According to Anakin Obi-Wan seemed to live off four things: headaches pills, sleeping pills, anti-depressants and caf.

When her own Master, Tahl, had been murdered Bant had been devastated but she hadn?t been as close to Tahl as Obi-Wan had been with Qui-Gon. From what Anakin had told her, she was to avoid any topic or reference involving Obi-Wan?s late Master. Even saying Qui-Gon?s name would make him retreat into himself, it would be days before he?d speak again.

She saw Obi-Wan coming toward her, taking some pills as he walked and carrying a cup of caf. Just before he sat down Bant got up and hugged him,

?I?m so sorry,? she whispered. Obi-Wan seemed detached as he cautiously returned the hug then sat down, Bant did too. Bant looked at her breakfast of some muja fruit and puff cake and realized that all Obi-Wan had was a cup of caf but decided to not bring it up.

?Getting any sleep?? she asked cautiously. Obi-Wan took a sip of his drink and gave her a look.

?Has Anakin been tel

2. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Usually I stay away from stories where Qui-Gon dies in TPM. But this looks really good. Can't wait to see where you're taking this.

~Swede :p

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    At least I've got ONE REPLY. Thank you thank you THANK YOU

Maybe after this part's up more people will come

Part 2

I wish that I could hold you now
    I wish that I could touch you now
    I wish that I could talk to you
    Be with you somehow ( ?I Wish? by R. Kelly)

Obi-Wan knew that Bant was trying her best to help, but he couldn?t bear to talk to anyone even Bant. He walked into his quarters trying his best not to look at the sign by the door that listed the quarters as the Jinn/Kenobi residence, he hadn?t had a chance to change it yet. He walked in and saw the durasteel bin he?d been given to place the possessions he would send to Qui-Gon?s family. Obi-Wan had already decided; he?d done it mechanically studying objects and deciding who would value them more. He heard a small tap at his door, assuming it was Anakin he called for his visitor to enter. It was Mace Windu.

Obi-Wan began to stand up but Mace stopped him and sat down beside him on the bed.

?Are you okay?? he asked. Obi-Wan attempted a shrug.

?As well as can be expected??Master.? Mace noticed Obi-Wan stall over his title and gave him a kind look then put a hand on the new Jedi Knight?s slender shoulder.

?He?s not really dead as long as you remember him.?

Obi-Wan?s gaze turned icy, did Mace know that people he didn?t even know had been telling that for the past week? Right after his knighting ceremony he?d gotten ?Qui-Gon would have been so proud? or ?don?t worry you?ll see him again one day? all the way to the Jedi saying ?there is no death there is only the Force.? Obi-Wan knew they were trying to make him feel better but nothing helped. They didn?t see Qui-Gon impaled with a lightsaber in front of their eyes. They didn?t hold Qui-Gon in their arms as he died. Obi-Wan put his face in his hands and, even though Mace was in the room, he broke down.

Oh Jinn, thought Mace, can?t you see it?s killing him?

Anakin stood by his Master?s door as Mace Windu left. ?Master Windu is he okay?? Mace looked at him kindly and told him that he should give Obi-Wan time and space.

Anakin had overheard some Masters talking about him, he wasn?t sure if what he had heard was true but he needed to be sure. ?Master Windu, I heard that Obi-Wan only took me as his Padawan because he promised Qui-Gon when he was dying. Is it true.?
    Mace wished that Anakin had never heard this but there was no reason he shouldn?t know the truth.

?Yes he did promise Qui-Gon but he doesn?t resent you if that?s what you think, he has told me great things about you.? Anakin was going to ask something else but thought better of it as Mace strode away. Anakin peaked into Obi-Wan?s quarters and saw that the suffering Jedi was asleep, but Anakin knew he wouldn?t be for long.

Losing his mother was hard but at least she was still alive. Obi-Wan had watched Qui-Gon die while he was powerless to stop it. He also had held Qui-Gon in his arms as he died, most likely taking Obi-Wan?s soul with him. Anakin looked toward the ceiling, ?Master Qui-Gon why did it have to be you??

*Obi-Wan watched his enemy plummet down the pit, deactivated Qui-Gon?s lightsaber and ran to his Master?s side. He cradled Qui-Gon?s shoulders in his arms, Qui-Gon?s eyes slowly fluttered open. ?It?s-It?s too late?It?s..? he stammered.

?No,? Obi-Wan shook his head violently. It couldn?t be true, he wouldn?t let it be true.

?Obi-Wan,? Qui-Gon whispered, ?promise?promise me you will train the boy.? Without thinking, Obi-Wan nodded. Qui-Gon raised his hand to wipe his apprentice?s tears away, ?He...is the chosen one. He..will bring balance...train him.? Obi-Wan hugged Qui-Gon to his chest as the only man Obi-Wan deemed worthy of the title Father took his last breath.

Obi-Wan gasped loudly as he awoke and tried to shake the painful image from his mind, but he knew it would be there always. What could he have done to save him? If only he hadn?t allowed to Sith to trip

4. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oh! Poor Obi, we're so glad it wasn't you.

I, like Swede, dont usually read fics where Qui-Gon has died and left the brat to Obi. This does look promising though.

Maybe we'll get lucky and see blue ghost Qui come to comfort Obi????

5. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Argh... just when I was really getting into the story it ends! No!

Please update soon. I usually don't read right after stories of TPM.. this one just sucked me in though. :D

6. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Arwen_Jade: Good fic. Poor Obi. This is how I imagined him reacting.

shanobi: "the brat"? :mad:

7. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Looks like you're doing pretty good, AJK. You have to be to be pulling in so many non-death readers. This is turning into a good story. Obi-angish is always good. [face_devil]

8. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Sorry Anakin_Girl, some people found nine year old Anakin to be very annoying. (He didn't bother me.) The Nineteen year old Anakin however, looks VERY promising! ;) The character I like the least is Yoda, I call him the Sith Troll!!

I would be very happy if Qui-Gon made an appearance!! As you could probably guess, he's my favorite character!!

9. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Uh oh.. clashing of the Ani-haters/likers Anonymous groups.. :D

There might be a rumble!

10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa. Thanx for the responses so fast!!

I'll get part 3 up as soon as I can.

Thanx 4 the support

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I'm not a member of Ani haters anonymous, but I'm not his advocate either. But I must say that I can't wait to see the two groups respond to your great story!

12. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    I'm back for no reason but to reply to some of UR posts

1) I dispise Ani as a 9 year old. (I'm a person and my name is Anakin *cringe*)
    2) I usually don't write stories post TPM. I like doing pre TPM stuff. Obi and Qui r my favs
    3) I have written this story b4 hand so....i'm not giving away anything u'll have to find out.

I'll have part 3 up 2 morrow

Thnax 4 being so supportiev :D

13. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    To me Ani will always be the brat. In my opinion Obi-Wan is the real CHOSEN ONE!

Anyone who hurts and betrays my/our Obi, as we all know 'the brat'does is not worth his weight in daktari's(sp)no matter how cute he may appear to be in TFM.

Although, I do have to say that i think Hayden was an awesome choice for Anakin in AOTC. He looks charming, with a hint of that cherubic innocence, yet you can see the possibility of betrayal in those eyes. Yes, I got all that from the trailor. hmmm. Still, nothing compares to Obi-Wan Kenobi. They couldnt have chosen a better actor than Ewan for that role. Ok, i'm done. Sorry for the rant :p

14. Jedi_Arwen

Jedi_Arwen Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Arwen-Jade, this looks really good so far. I can't wait for the next post!

15. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Rock on, Shanobi! :D

And here I thought that I was the only one that knew that about Obi... turns out there's tons of smart people 'round here. :D I love preTPM stories, also... mostly because there's a none too abundance of Ani/Obi 'venture stories. There's a plot bunny for you.. in fact I'm writing one (kind of) right now. What! I'm not plugging going to read my teaser! Not at all...

Okay, I'm saying a lot.. I'm just really bored... and waiting for that post.

"Are you an angel?" == groands and fires off a round of NERF arrows at the TV screen ==

16. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Haha Fallen, NERF? I just turn it to mute when the kid is talking. Not that I hate him but when you already now that he's going to turn, kill the Jedi and most importantly, betray Obi, it's hard to like him.

Now that we've turned this into a 'how Anakin sucks' board, it would probably be best if AJK posted to get our minds off this. :D How about it? Hmm?

17. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    And now the moment some of you have been hoping.waiting for!!!!!

The entreance of Qui-Gon Jinn: The observant blue ghostie

Hope ya like ;)

art 3

?Oh Qui-Gon can you see what this is doing to him? It?s tearing him apart!!?

?Oh, Jinn can?t you see it?s killing him??

?Master Qui-Gon why did it have to be you??

?WHY? WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE YOU?? WHY COULDN?T IT HAVE BEEN ME??!!?*

The spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn walked through hallways with the questions ringing in his head. Obi-Wan?s cry was the loudest, screaming about how much he wished that he had been the one that had been killed by the Sith that day. Qui-Gon could understand how Obi-Wan felt, he had felt the same when Tahl had died. Qui-Gon hoped that if one person in the Temple could see him that it was Obi-Wan, there were so many things he had left unsaid between them. He didn?t even say good-bye.

As Qui-Gon made his way down the hall he saw Bant sitting on a bench talking into a comlink, the person on the other end was Reeft.

?Is he okay??? asked an anxious Reeft.

?It?s worse than we thought,? said Bant, ?he?s almost like a stranger to me. The Obi-Wan Kenobi we knew may take a long time to come back, he may never come back.? Bant sighed deeply and continued. ?Another thing that worries me is that he doesn?t seem to eat anymore, he drinks an awful lot of caf though. Even though he hates that drink with a passion.?

?Yeah I remember,? said Reeft, ?I got him to try some once, he said that it was the most disgusting thing he?d ever had right after he had spat it out. Qui-Gon was trying to keep himself from laughing.? The two friends exchanged a few non-important remarks but one last one picked Qui-Gon?s interest.

?..yeah he has nightmares reliving Qui-Gon?s death, Anakin told me so. He wakes up sweating and completely shaken. I don?t think he?s had a decent sleep since he came back from Naboo. He gets bad headaches too, I?m surprised he hasn?t died of an overdose by the way he takes his pain killers..? Qui-Gon couldn?t bear to hear anymore and walked away, in the direction of Obi-Wan?s quarters.

Anakin Skywalker stopped dead in the middle of another corridor, he had felt something. A small whisper it felt like..Qui-Gon. Anakin shook his head and kept walking, Qui-Gon was gone and nothing he felt or how long Obi-Wan hoped and prayed that this was all a dream would bring him back. Anakin stopped again: This time the Force screamed a command, one Anakin would obey. //GO TO YOUR MASTER...NOW!!//

Qui-Gon stopped in front of the door of Obi-Wan?s quarters, then realized that the door wouldn?t open before him, so he just walked through. The bedroom looked as if a bomb had hit it, but the looks of it Obi-Wan had clearing out Qui-Gon?s things to make room for Anakin. All of a sudden Qui-Gon felt a small disturbance, something was very wrong.

He heh he CLIFFHANGER TIME!!!!

18. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    I have a very bad feeling about this.

Nice to see Qui, even if he is dead.

19. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    LOL, Swede!

That line is an institution.

Uh ohhhh...

20. shanobi

Dec 11, 2001
    OMG.....forgets all about the brat

Whats happening with Obi? You cant just leave us hanging!

I guess you can :mad:

MORE!MORE!MORE!MORE!MORE!MORE!MORE!MORE!

21. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Yeah, let's lay off the "why (some people think) Anakin sucks" comments. This is a fanfic board; people have a right to have whatever opinions they want on different characters, but this isn't really the place. I reacted to the "brat" comment because I always react to name-calling; but we should drop it from here on out.

Good post, Arwen-Jade. Nice to see Qui again.

22. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    The following is a bit graphic so if you are slightly squeemish this is your one and ONLY warning!!

Part 4

Qui-Gon turned and saw the door of the washroom open a crack, he walked through and gasped. Obi-Wan was sitting on the floor, his head propped up against the wall, a bloody knife was at his feet and both his wrists were slit. They had bled so much that his hands had gone completely red. Qui-Gon ran to him and tried to check for a pulse, but his hand kept passing through Obi-Wan?s neck.

?OH FORCE SOMEONE HELP HIM!!!!? screamed Qui-Gon. As if on queue, Anakin ran in and pushed the door open, he gave a gasp and ran to Obi-Wan, then checked for a pulse: He found it. Anakin turned and saw Qui-Gon kneeling next to him, tears streaming down his face.

?What happened??? asked Anakin as tears started to fall from his eyes. Qui-Gon shook his head and told Anakin to get help, he ran off and Qui-Gon sat next to his unconscious apprentice and prayed for his life.

Anakin ran in with Bant behind him, she gave a small cry and paged the healers. Bant knelt next to Obi-Wan and began to clean and bandage his wrists. Anakin stepped back next to Qui-Gon and asked if Bant could see him. The Jedi Master shook his head. Obi-Wan moaned,

?Master? he whispered. Qui-Gon kneeled next to him and tried to get his attention, Obi-Wan did not notice him.

?No Obi-Wan,? began Bant ?It?s me. Bant. Qui-Gon?s left us, remember???? Obi-Wan opened his eyes and looked directly in his best friend?s eyes.

?I was hoping I was dead.? he whispered. Tears slid down the emotionally shattered man?s face as Bant drew him into her arms.

?Oh Obi-Wan,? said Bant as she tried to keep herself from crying, ?killing your self would have only caused more pain to another Padawan.? Obi-Wan looked at Anakin he tried to say he was sorry but the words wouldn?t come out. He buried his face in Bant?s shoulder, she held him until the healers came and took him away.

Bant said that Obi-Wan would be fine by morning and that Anakin could visit then. Bant then gave Anakin a hug still completely oblivious to Qui-Gon?s presence. Anakin than left the room and went to his quarters, Qui-Gon following close behind. Anakin opened the door and sat on his bed, Qui-Gon followed suit.

Qui-Gon put his face in his hands and great sobs rocked his body, he raised his tear stained eyes to Anakin.

?What possessed him to do that....I didn?t think it would hit him this hard.? Anakin had no idea how to respond, let alone how to react to the fact that he was talking to Qui-Gon Jinn, and Qui-Gon Jinn was dead.

?Well,? Anakin began, ?on the ride back from Naboo he barley said a word. He seemed fine after, he started talking to me a bit more than he had originally. At night was something completely different, I didn?t need the Force to hear what was going on. I could hear him screaming your name over and over in his sleep. In the mornings he was just completely shaken, sleep - deprived and in pain form headaches. From what Bant has told me Obi-Wan has always taken pride in the control of his emotions, now they?ve taken over.? Anakin told Qui-Gon other things as the dead Jedi listened intently.

?I don?t know precisely what drove him over the edge but I think he just couldn?t take it anymore. His grief makes me feel that mine is worth nothing. I only knew you for a few days, Obi-Wan knew you most of his life...did you ever know that he considered you his father??

Qui-Gon slowly gave a nod, he had known that his death would effect Obi-Wan deeply. But, he had had no idea that Obi-Wan would have taken it beyond normal bounds. Anakin gave Qui-Gon a smile, a weak one but still it was the first one he had given it over a week.

?I?m visiting him tomorrow, you can watch. Maybe we will both get answers.?

Obi-Wan Kenobi had been given sedatives but he had failed to have a decent sleep. He glanced at his wrists, heavily bandaged. The Jedi Knight

23. TorontoJediMaster

TorontoJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2001
    That was a great post. It was really well done.

I wonder why Obi-Wan used a regular knife, when his lightsaber would have been far more effective. Perhaps, deep down, he didn't want the attempt to succeed?

I must say, Anakin is handling himself very well. He kept cool enough to be able to summon help for Obi-Wan. Not to mention he's talking to the spirit of a dead Jedi Master, and is actually taking it in stride. I mean, he's been in the Order now a week, two weeks at the most, and he's seen a Jedi appear after death. Yet, he's taking it all in stride. Plus, I think it's clear that he's already quite devoted to Obi-Wan. I do think he should have asked Qui-Gon just HOW he was able to be there. Let's face it, that would be a realistic response from any normal person.

I can't wait to read more. :)

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Feb 9, 2002
    THanx 4 the tips. This is the conclusion of "Gone" so I hope to live up ur expectations. *crosses fingers*

I'm also including a very short fic called "Beyond the Ashes" I listened to the song "May it be" from the LOTR soundtrack and the idea popped into my head

hope u like!

Part 5

A FEW WEEKS LATER

Obi-Wan Kenobi climbed to the very top of the highest spire of the Jedi Temple, the place where Jedi Knight Tahl?s ashes lay. Today the ashes of Qui-Gon Jinn would join her.

Bant had decided to place Tahl?s ashes there, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon had accompanied her, all of them offering comfort to each other. But now, Obi-Wan was doing this alone. Anakin was waiting at the bottom of the tower. Obi-Wan stared at the urn that contained Tahl?s ashes and the holo-pic that Bant had placed there.

?Master Qui-Gon, can you hear me?? called Obi-Wan. ?I know you were there that night I tried to kill myself and I?m sorry. I just wanted a way out, I missed you and wanted to be with you, I still do.? Obi-Wan picked up the urn and placed it right next to Tahl?s. Obi-Wan then placed a holo-pic of his Master in front of it and lit a candle. Obi-Wan made a vow that he would come up here as often as he could, including Qui-Gon?s birthday and the anniversary of his death.

Obi-Wan turned toward the stairs but gave another look at the urn. ?Good-bye Father, I love you.?

Anakin Skywalker and the ghost of Qui-Gon Jinn waited at the bottom of the staircase for Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon turned to Anakin and quickly explained that it was time for him to leave. Anakin had been expecting this and nodded his understanding, Qui-Gon gave a small smile and looked at Anakin again.

?Anakin, promise me you will look after him, I want you to look after each other.?

?I promise?

Qui-Gon gave a smile and vanished for good, at that moment Obi-Wan came back down. Anakin sensed something very different in his Master. Anakin could still sense Qui-Gon?s presence at Obi-Wan?s shoulder. The young Padawan knew that it would always be there until the day Obi-Wan became one with the Force.

Obi-Wan put a hand on Anakin?s shoulder and told him to run ahead, he would be there in a second. After Anakin left Obi-Wan stared at the sky, the person he had been was gone forever, he would never be the same. The grief and agony would always be there but at least it wasn?t in control of his life anymore. Obi-Wan gave a smile as her stared at the ceiling and uttered a final phrase.

?I will see you again my Master, but not yet, not yet.?

END

Beyond the Ashes

Summary: Obi discovers something at Qui's funeral

(Obi-Wan?s POV)

I suddenly come out of my trance and realize that everyone has left, even Anakin. I suppose they thought I needed time to myself. Yeah, how does forever sound? I stare at the bier that holds the ashes of my Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.

Do they know how much it aches to see this. My entire being feels like ice and fire and all I want is to suddenly wake up and discover that this is all a dream. I stare at the ashes and notice something. This makes no sense, if there had been anything in his pockets they would have burned with him. Still, I get up and look anyway.

I find it disrespectful to just reach in and grab what I see with my hands so I gently use the Force to pull out the three objects I see. When the objects come to my hand I discover that they are all durasheets. My mind goes blank: How could these papers have not burned up in the pyre? I fold up the first one. It is a letter dated the day before Qui-Gon was killed.

Obi-Wan,

You will probably never receive this letter but I felt like writing it. I know that you are hurt about my motion to take Anakin as my Padawan. Please know that I am not doing this to brush you aside. You are everything I could ever hope for in an apprentice, in a son. Anakin will never replace your place in my heart.

I am also writing this letter to confirm that I am re

25. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    No, very good. I don't write songfic's, but people who do, usually do a ver nice job.

As for the rest of the story, nice ending. I knew Obi was either going to attempt suicide or turn. Either would have been bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.