main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Post Your AOTC Review here!!!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lando_Da_Pimp, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lando_Da_Pimp

Lando_Da_Pimp Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    This is a night early but I figured we should have a forum for the reviews. I am seeing it at Destinta at midnight and will have my review all ready. So when you see it post your review!!!!

God I can't wait.

2. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    Well I guess I'll go first,

I don't want to go into details of when and how I saw it, but trust me I did, not from a bootleg but at the theater,

I don't want to get into the story or details because most of you know that, instead I want to tell you what I liked and didn't like.

First, the bad,
    this is the toughest part because finding anything bad is very difficult. Some of Anakin's lines did seem a tad cheesy, but overall was not distracting. There were moments when I heard music from Episode 1 and I wanted an entire new score...

AND THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Next the good!!!!
    I could write until the movie comes out!!!!!! But I am leaving soon to hed to work to get ready!! I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!! Definately worth the privledge of being a Star Wars film. The action is top notch, and don't listen to people saying there were boring parts, I considered those educational to the overall plot. Man did I love it!!!I LOVED IT!!!!!!! Hayden was overall good(he'll be better in the next), Ewan was awesome, he owns that role, Christopher Lee is so good you have to hate him!! Sam is always the man!! Natalie did a great job, only a few lines during the love story portion seemed a little stiff, Jango, supreme bad*ss. Palpatine, why are you such a genious!!! But look at me I am getting worked up.

Overall, I loved this film, I hope you do to, it was very fun to watch, and be prepared for Yoda!!!! Oh MAN!!!!!!!

1,000,000 stars out of 4!!!!!!!!

3. bfnate

bfnate Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    just got back from the theater OMG!!! i dont wanna use curse words so just put it this way i liked it alot

4. Jeffysan

Jeffysan Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2002
    Just got back from Washington Crown Cinemas and all I can say is, What a let down........ nope, I can't do it, I already just cracked myself up. Episode II kicked some royal arse!!!! I have to admit, I was worried when I saw the less than exciting tv spots. Now, I have nothing but the highest praise for this flick. (Except for the terrible c3po jokes during the battle!! They should have been left on the cutting room floor. I mean, "I feel beside myself!!" come on!!) I am still in awe of the huge Jedi battle!!! Kudos to Mr. Lucas!!! I will be in line tomorrow, guaranteed!!!

5. Lando_Da_Pimp

Mar 12, 2002
    I just got back from Destinta theaters. All I can say is wow!!!

This movie is great. I loved it. Hayden was a great Anakin. The trailers don't do him justice.I loved the fact that Palpatine has complete control over everybody and nobody friggin knows it. The Empire is born and Episode III here I come.

I will give more details later after I drink and sleep for a while.

One question. Who is Sifadias?
    I have my thoughts of who it is.

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    It's late and I will be going to sleep soon, but I just need to say that I loved the movie. All the stuff about the middle dragging and the dialogue being clunky is bullcrap. I liked the love story and thought the political plot was interesting. The film in no way bored me, and I think that some critics have a low attention span for sci-fi films.

I am know a Yoda addict! I hope he fights at least a little bit in Episode III. I mean... MY LORD... Yoda is one bad mofo.

7. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I went last night to the premier, I must admit, I didn't even know we had a Pittsburgh chapter of TheForce.net, but hey!I met some wonderful people there and they gave me the site!
    All I can say is that I stepped away from that movie in a state of euphoria! Oh my gosh it was all and more than I expected it to be. I was a big Yoda fan before this, but now..
    I'm not going to give away any plot details, but one thing I do have to say is that the plot was engaging (even if you're not a fan- stupid critics.) and interesting.
    All this makes me anxious for Episode III, and I think the movie theatre will be my second home for the next 5 weeks.

8. DarthJergens

DarthJergens Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2002
    This was the first time I'd gone to a Star Wars premier before, and I must admit I had so much fun. Yoda and Mace Windu are beasts and kick major (censored) in the movie. Anakin Skywalker + two lightsabers equals awesome fight action. I left the movie "giddy" lol, this movie was great. I can't wait for episode 3, george lucas is a friggin genious!!!

9. Darth_Colt_45

Darth_Colt_45 Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    seen it t destinta, had horible seat, way up from off the the right, so I am sure I missed alot of little things. All I can say is....YODA! YODA! YODA!....wow, that was the fastest 2 1/2 hours of my life. p.s. Lando, what theatre # were you in and what time did you get there. I was at 5 and got there at 11:30 (g/f made me be late!)

10. Lando_Da_Pimp

Mar 12, 2002
    I was in theater 16. Girlfriend made you late!!!! Dump her!!!!

just kidding...

11. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Ok, I have more time to give my thoughts on Clones. There might be some spoilers, so dont read until you see the movie.
    (actually, I read it and my review is spoiler free.)
    Based on critical response, I was a little worried about certain elements in Episode II before having seen it. The love story and dialogue in particular had been receiving some negative feedback among many of our nations so called film experts. Terms such as ?boring? ?slow?, and their own personal favorite, ?clunky? were used in abundance and so; I was weary of those elements going in. I can now say without hesitation that the love story and dialogue were perfectly acceptable for any move, not just Star Wars. I had absolutely no problem with Anakin?s lines with Amidala and the scene with them rolling around in the grass worked pretty well, in my opinion. Since a relationship between Anakin and Amadala is forbidden, you?d have to imagine that there would be more playfulness and flirting then what would normally be expected, and that?s exactly what George gave is.

Now, about all that ?boring? and ?clunky? stuff in the middle of the movie? you know, the dialogue that sets up the entire last third of the film and more. I mean, it was obviously a complete waste of time just like the critics have said?. that is, a complete waste of time if you have no brain and can?t process that information. This is the part that non-fans were supposed to be confused and turned off by, but if you can think beyond the third grade level, it shouldn?t be confusing at all. It?s not like the X-Files, or even The Matrix for that matter. The plot was simple enough to follow and I was not once bored.

The only negative thing that I can currently say about Episode II is the overuse of C3P0 and some of his forced humor. Some of it was funny, and some of it was not. But he is C3P0 and there is no law that says he needs to funnier than he is annoying.

I will let the action sequences and effects speak for them selves. I believe that Roger Ebert is the only person alive who has complained about the movie?s effects, but it sounded like he was watching the movie when it was out of focus.

And oh yeah? Yoda is the greatest. Don?t argue it, he just is!

12. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    SPOILERS BELOW. But then if you are reading an AOTC review thread, you should expect some spoilers. ;)

Saw the midnight showing in the VIP section of Loews. (Great seats Fluke!) Had a fantastic time!

My first reaction when ATOC ended was depression. Not because it was a bad movie, quite the contary. ATOC was excellent, but the journey to the Dark side for Anakin and the destruction of the Jedi order are well and truly begun. And the movie raised SO many questions that I'll have to wait three years to get the answers to. Although it will be lots of fun speculating along the way.

Stuff I liked:

The action scenes, of course.

Anakin's first major Dark side actions. Disturbing. Very disturbing. His reaction to what he had done was incredible, such a mix of regret, guilt and . . . how should I put it? fierce pride, maybe? in the revenge he took for his mother.

Tiny Qui-Gon cameos. His bust in the Library. His two word voice over. I take what I can get.

Count Dooku. Need to know more about this man! Why did he leave the jedi? When did he leave? How did he hook up with Palpatine?

The relationship between Obi and Ani. For all the good natured bickering, there was some real affection between the two. Ani is most definately the son going through the moody teen rebellion phase (okay, it wasn't just a phase for Ani), where he loves dad but at times thinks dad is the biggest idiot this side of the galaxy.

Also, it was cool that some EU characters showed up, even if it was just background.

Palpatine's manipulation of Jar Jar into proposing the legislation giving 'emergency powers.' Finally, a real reason to hate Jar Jar.

The stuff I didn't like:

I did think that the movie got off to a slow start. The pacing seemed just a little bit off until the middle.

Although one liners are fun, I agree that C3PO had just a couple too many.

Having to wait another three years and knowing that Ep III will be the last one George produces (in theory).

Overall, big thumbs up. In terms of the quality of the film, I'd rank in third behind ANH and Empire.

13. Oola_Twilek

Oola_Twilek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    I saw it at Destinta at midnight. We were in theather 11.. the only thx theather in the place. It was good, there was so much going on that I have to see it again before I make a review.

Did you see me and Darth_gohan on TV ch 4 News. ahhh I am such a geek. I have no Idea what I said. I was trying to do a fan force plug. But it didnt happen. I think I said somrthing about the internet. I havent seen it yet.

14. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    hahaha thats funny! awwww man i envy ya'll right now! im gonna see if i can go tonight, if not, hey i got all weekend right? btw, i read that the matrix reloaded trailer was gonna be with AOTC's. was it?

15. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Yep, the Matrix Reloaded & Revolutions trailer accompanies it (and lilo & stitch- it was so funny last night at Loew's because someone decided to yell out- "it stinks!") Be prepared to be bamboozled with tons of trailers.
    Yoda, by the way, is the man.

16. BlackSunBDP

BlackSunBDP Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2002
    Wow... what a flick!

Since the year it came out, The Empire Strikes Back had a firm grip on it's status as my favorite movie of all time... but after last night, I think it has serious competition.

Alright, my review follows... some MAJOR spoilers, so, in all seriousness, if you havent seen the movie yet, DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

First... I liked the several mentions of Qui-Gon. He's one of my all time fave SW characters, so as was mentioned earlier, I'll take any mention I can get. When Dooku mentioned Qui-Gon, I swear, even across town, I could hear Greencat squeal. :p

Next... Dooku/Tyranus has serious potential to be the first character EVER to tie Darth Vader as my favorite SW character. Between being a total mark for Christopher Lee, and just how cool the character was... wow.

Natalie Portman is a GODDESS. Seriously. She may very well be the most beautiful woman I have EVER laid eyes on. Her performance was SO much better in AOTC than in TPM, she's clearly becoming the actress everyone predicted she would become. Padme was a great character, and that brings me to...

Hayden Christensen makes a WONDERFUL Anakin. Just the perfect combination of whiny brat, brave warrior, love-bitten man, and rebellious teen. Unlike Jake Lloyd's Anakin, I found myself several times looking at Hayden and thinking, "My God.. THAT is Darth Vader." The love story between the two was very well done, very classy, and contrary to reports, the dialogue and acting were both very well done. The part when Padme declares her love for Anakin as they're being taken into the arena was gorgeous.

Tem Morrison and Daniel Logan were great as The Fetts. Daniel was in NO way annoying like Jake Lloyd, and instead gave you a real feel for how Boba Fett became who he did. As for Tem Morrison, if there's any justice, the role of Jango Fett will be his springboard to stardom in America.

Ian McDiarmid turned in yet another GREAT performance as Palpatine. God I love Palpatine. Such a manipulative, evil jerkoff. MY HERO!

To hell with everyone else, I applauded when Jar Jar first showed up. I cant help it, I love the little goofball.

C-3PO, in my opinion, while being given some REALLY corny lines towards the end, was hilarious. The whole ordeal with him and the battle droid had me in stiches.

YODA! HOLY CRAP ON A STICK! Who'd have ever thunk Yoda was such a BMF? I am now a Yoda fan.

Ewan McGregor is seriously becoming one of my fave actors. His performance as Obi-Wan was the highlight of the movie. "ANAKIN! What are you doing here?" "...I came to rescue you." "....good job."

Now, a few side notes I thought of during the movie:

I've heard several people mention EU characters having cameos... anyone in particular? I heard a rumor that Vergere was to have a cameo, but if it's true, I missed it.

Dex kicked arse. I dunno why, but I just loved him.

WATTO! My favorite little Blatantly-Italian alien is back! And he's actually happy to see Anakin! That's kinda sweet... I just wanna hug Watto.

No sign of ET in this one... Fluke may be inconsolable.

Overall, while I very much enjoyed TPM, I admitted it wasnt Lucas at his best. AOTC, however, is incredible. I cannot think omf ONE bad thing to say about it, except that I don't get to see it again for another 5 hours. Damn.

17. bfnate

bfnate Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2002
    (spoilers)i loved when Mace windu sliced off jango fetts head that was sweetness! and yoda he waz all over the place! was it just me or was yoda all cgi??

18. jedimaster chris

jedimaster chris Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 1999
    I saw it a second time at 12:45, and I loved it even more the second time!!! It was great,

Lando_Da_Pimp, what did Dave and Casey Linden think about the movie?

19. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    SPOILERS
    I have a question about the Yoda battle scene... Did he, at one point, actually jump off of Dooku's head?

20. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! I hate all of you!!! [face_plain]_ No, no I really dont. but i wanna see it now even more than ever! im a sucker for spoilers too! i just dont want to know the ending. i think im gonna see it tonight.....hopefully! :) man i cant wait to see yoda kick @$$!

21. Darth_Colt_45

Apr 26, 2002
    the one thing that really chapped my rear is that it ended. I could have sat there another 3 hours. going to see it again at 10:30 in the shoebox (showcase). My neck still hurts from sittin as close as I did, but anger leads to the dark side, and since yoda is the master, I must stay with the Jedi....

22. Darth_Colt_45

Apr 26, 2002
    by the way, didnt the cloners look alot like the aliens from close encounters?

23. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Just got back from my second viewing. I take back what I said earlier about the pacing at the beginning of the movie. Its just fine!

MORE SPOILERS!!! If you don't want to be spoiled what the Sith are you doing in a review thread???

Things I noticed the second time through -- when Ani and Padme are in the field, they talk about their political views. Wow, Ani is already okay with the whole dictator, get order even at the cost of personal freedom thing.

Best dramatic scene is still Anakin admiting what he did to the Tuskan Raiders. Wow, what emotion. Second place for best dramatic scene is Padme declaring her love for Ani.

Is Ewan channeling Alec Guiness in some scenes or what?

You really could see the future Darth Vader in this Anakin. Sometimes he just gets that LOOK in his eyes . . . And the couple of times when he is 'requesting' people do things -- like Zam to tell who hired her and getting Watto to tell him where his mother is . . .

When Dooku mentioned Qui-Gon, I swear, even across town, I could hear Greencat squeal.

I did NOT. :p Ummm. I did however notice yet another 'Qui' reference . . . When Obi goes to ask for Yoda's help in finding his missing planet, the boy who closes the shades is called Liam. [face_blush]

So hold old is Count Dooku? Qui was 50ish during PM, which was 10 years before AOTC. Say that Qui was 12 when he was chosen as a Padawan by Dooku and lets make Dooku a fairly young age to take a Padawan at 25 . . . By my math (only somewhat reliable) that puts Dooku in his early/mid 70's during AOTC. Pretty spry old guy! Of course, Yoda is over 800 and look at him go! ;)

24. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Let me first say that after now seeing this movie for the second time this afternoon, it is very close to becoming my new favorite Star Wars movie but Empire still holds the lead. But not by much.

Last night I was at Loews, echoing greencat, great seats Fluke. I saw it again today in the same theater as last night but in the regular section in the top row and the seats couldn't compare. There was a definate difference in clarity of the picture.

Anyways onto my review. Going into this movie I paid attention to alot of negitive reviews on and off the net about Attack of the Clone's being drawn out and boring. I can't believe they said it, I thought it was quite the opposite. I felt the flow of the movie moved quite well, it tended to get a little long for me in some of the scenes between Padme and Anikan but after seeing it again today and not being as tired as I was lastnight. I can honestly say that everything moved great. This movie is what is was supposed to be, a story that brought together Ani and Padme, not a total action movie.

Overall the acting in this movie wasn't bad, it wasn't great either, but I didn't find myself looking for every little thing wrong in the actor's performance like I did for TPM. The worst performance in the movie for me had to be Hayden, now before you guys jump all over me. I thought he did really good when it came to playing the darker parts of Anikan but in some of the scenes where he tried to put the moves of Padme I thought he did poorly. The best performance in the movie for me would have to goto Ewan, you're greencat in some of the scenes he is Alec Guiness, he gave an all-around great performance.

The action sequence's are what made it for me. Without a doubt the Yoda/Dooku fight was my favorite part of the movie. Yoda is a badass! The way he zipped around and when he stopped everything Dooku could throw at him, man it was so wicked! Christopher Lee hit Dooku right on, he was dark and powerful just as I imagined him being ever since the day I found out he was going to be in this flick.

The first time I saw the big battle scene between the two armies I got a little confused on which army was which in some of the scenes, but again it was probably because I was tired.

Ill end this with just WOW, I can't wait to see it for the third time!

25. Lando_Da_Pimp

Mar 12, 2002
    Here is my full AOTC review.

I have seen the movie three times now. It gets better and better each time. I also see new things each time as well which is cool.

The best thing about this movie is Hayden Chriistisen ( I can't spell) The trailers did not do him justice at all. If anything they make his acting look bad. The moments after he wiped out the tusken camp gave me chills. His anger towards Ob1 was great and makes me can't wait to see what happens in 3.

The story was great as well. Palpatine is the smartest villian ever. Who would have figured that the good republic democracy would turn in to a dictatorship. My favorite line of Palpatine was "After this war is over I will lay down my power" bull****!!!

Here is my thought on Sifadias. this might be way off but Sifadias is Qui Gon. He died 10 years ago and so did Qui Gon. Ob1 doesn't know who Sifadias is but the Kamino knew who Ob1 was. Also Count Dooku talking about Quigon how he would do something about the senate. Sifadias was a dark jedi. Maybe a reason Qui Gon didn't disappear?

Any thoughts?

Overall this is the third best Star Wars movie. I can't wait to see it again.

Chris... Dave and Casey loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.