main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Post your photography.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mustafar_66, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Rare autumn Nor'easter at Harvard University:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I really like the first shot, Terr.

3. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    We had a little bonfire last night and my brother was waving around a stick he'd had in the flames. i sort of think it looks like a horse head!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    From New Orleans this past weekend. My girlfriend and I were taking street shots in Jackson Square when this protest about Gaza happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  5. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    A bit of color in an otherwise somber place:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Terr, that first one is fantastic!

s65horsey likes this.
  7. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Thanks Leona! Those photos are from the beautiful Mt. Auburn Cemetery. I got there a little late for peak colors this year, but I was lucky to spot the combination of the colorful Japanese maple, blue spruce, and dawn redwood in that particular shot.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Terr, those pictures are amazing. They're warm (given were they were taken) and brilliant and vibrant.

9. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Thanks. :) Dumping more Boston photos...

The first one reminded me a little of Honfleur:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Just a few random shots I've gotten lucky with, lately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Terr - I love the rose covered in snow shot. Somehow I missed that one.

Gorgeous pics, LI.

Random shots from my trip to DC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    Christmastime in the Hub:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
  14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I really like this shot. This is the type of photo that I would blow up and hang on the wall. I love the snow covered shots but the depth of this one is stunning. The lights are perfectly placed and the design with the spikes covered in snow is simply amazing.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    On a different note, this is the year that color film's fate will be decided. Kodak is reorganizing itself in bankruptcy into a commercial printing company, leaving photography behind. Its film division is up for sale, with no buyers as yet (or, if there are interested parties, they have not yet been named). What happens to color film will be determined in large part by who buys the film division and in turn what they do with it. Film usage went up in 2012 for the first time in many years, though that includes both black and white and color film. Black and white film is safe, all the way up through 8x10 sheet film for the time being, because Ilford is committed to it and they are in good financial shape. They have no plans to get involved in making C41 (Chromogenic) film. Fujifilm is just as uncertain. They are in much better shape than Kodak, but they've cut down their film production to just a few stocks (which is true of Kodak as well, though even more so). They could choose to stop making both C41 film and also the chemistry required to develop it.

I've turned away from digital and toward color negative film in over the past several months, so I have a major interest in what happens. I've done much of my best work using color film with my Mamiya 7, and it would be a real loss if I couldn't use it anymore. Potential and current hoarders of color film ignore the reality that the chemistry required to develop it would cease to be produced along with the film. I'm sure I would stock up in the event of total discontinuation, but it would only get me through, say, the next semester. I'm thankful that B/W film is safe, and so I can keep going on using my Mamiya 7 no matter what happens. That camera is special, and getting it last January fundamentally changed how I work (not immediately, but gradually). Unfortunately, C41 film requires more chemistry to make and also to develop. It's not particularly friendly to the environment. When I mix the chemistry for printing color film, I always wear gloves. It's bad stuff. Silver chemistry is easy, comparatively speaking.

Kodak was one of the biggest companies in the world not so long ago. It wasn't known until recently, but they had a massive contract for decades with the federal government to provide film for U2 spy planes. In 1999, they sold a billion rolls of film. Last year it was down to 20 million. I hope a good company buys the film division and keeps making color film, even if it's more expensive than it has been. Better to be available for a price than unavailable at any price.

Edit: I neglected to mention a highly important role in all this, which is the abandonment of film by much of the motion picture industry. Its use of film allowed the mass production and easy availability of films that were used by most people in small format cameras for decades. With digital becoming increasingly dominant, that has taken away the need for and basis for much of the film production from both Kodak and Fujifilm. Fujifilm has all but ended their motion picture film stock production. There are some diehards like Christopher Nolan that will keep using film for as long as possible, but much of the industry is turning away from it (unfortunately).

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Day before yesterday, Cascade foothills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    My first attempts at astronomy photographs last winter. Taken in my backyard, so there's a bit of light pollution from the street lamps.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Not bad. The star fields were pretty.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Terr you're photos are insane, and making me really homesick :(

Terr_Mys likes this.
  21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    s65horsey Love the waterfall one in particular.

Terr_Mys I'm not even going to try to pick a favorite.

s65horsey likes this.
  22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    On the penultimate day of the last year, I made a small trip to Spiš Castle, my favourite castle in the world, with the intention to take some photos, because it was gorgeous weather. It was also they first time they opened it to public in winter. Here's what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pity there wasn't more snow (a lot of it had melted in the previous week) as it would look even prettier.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    There was an unusual visitor to Cheltenham today. A Great Northern Diver (or Loon) - typically found out at sea, this individual appears to have decided that a small lake in a small park is home. :p Twice as big as a duck, it was peculiar sight mixing with the common ducks one usually sees on the lake. Like a battleship moored in a small fishing harbour.

[​IMG]

24. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the first one, don't like the fog in the second one. But frozen lakes are great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kiki-Gonn and Juliet316 like this.
  25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [​IMG]

Bomber Command Memorial, London, I cried when I saw it in person.

[​IMG]

Memorial to Kinder Transport, Liverpool Street - Jewish children evacuated to London.

[​IMG]

Saint Martins in the Fields, Remembrance Sunday morning.

Juliet316 likes this.