main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Postal 2; Have games gone too far?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SithForceLord, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    Are videogames and movies to blame? No.

Are the makers of videogames to blame? No.

Are the kids to blame if they are influenced by these games? Of course.

Are the parents to blame? To a degree.

There are parents out there who watch over what their kids are exposed to. If one set of parents lets their kid go wild and play these violent games and then kill someone, the parents too should be held a little responsible. But, if another set of parents screens out violent games and movies, and thier kid somehow plays these games (like at a friend's house) and kills somebody, those parents shouldn't be held reponsible because they tried to filter those things out.

Of course there are people with social and mental problems who "claim" they don't know the difference between right and wrong, but is that REALLY a factor?

I disagree.

Unless you've been living in a cave for most of your life, you should have learned at least once what is wrong and what is right. There is no excuse for any violence whatsoever and if such a violence is committed, the person(s) who committed that violence are solely responsible. No one else. I'm not going to sit by and let the government decide what I can or can't see/use because some kid hundreds of miles away played GTA or watched "A Clockwork Orange" and decided to kill someone.

2. Evil_Slayer_Thiessen

Evil_Slayer_Thiessen Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    I must say I whole-heartedly agree. Though I don't appreciate that implication about my long post, I was merely establishing the inmportance of weapons in our society.

3. RogueRoyalGuard

RogueRoyalGuard Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2002
    Threads only go too far when there's flaming and the like going on. Long posts just show a better attention span

4. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Still, does this deal with Star Wars video games?

5. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    lets not be so ridged. it doesn't have to be Starwars, just semi related to games. And if you haven't noticed were discussing, rather off hand, games. As soon as jp-30 says it's way off the subject, I will stop posting here.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This is OK. It veered off course to terrorism for a few posts, but is now back on track. Continue...

7. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    Thank you sir. Now as someone was saying violent games (to an extent) help you vent your anger. when I'm really mad I'll go down and push people into the incinerator in bespin under city (JKII), which is a lot better than shooting up the neighborhood (not that I'm inclined to do that but you get the pic). As long as it's not really graphic, I think they can sometimes help. In my humble opinion that is.

8. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    You all know that you extracted guilty pleasure out of lemmings by "acccidentally" causing them to leap to thier death.

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    lol HotsForTahiri78 - but that's not going to cause a slightly insane person to then flip and go make 100 lemmings jump off a cliff (they do it themselves :p ;))

Master_Y-Wing: What does this has to do with Star Wars games anyway?

This board is for Game discussion, from scrabble to Jedi Knight - there is no rule that states the game and discussion must be SW related. Are games like Halo etc SW? Nope.

Yea the thread got a little off topic, but in a round-a-bout way it was explaining the fact that has been stated about people and their use of weapons and the influence of things such as games.

Slightly off topic once again, but:

RogueRoyalGuard: If I was attacked and killed without doing my best to hurt/kill the murderer I would be letting my fellow citizens down.

That is rediculous. You'd go to jail for attempted man slaughter if you attacked an attacker. That's the problem, I know - but that comment about letting your community down is crap, I'm sorry. But I'm also sorry to hear you have to "arm" yourself to go for a walk. Perhaps walking your dog during the day would be safer for all invloved.

10. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    RogueRoyalGuard: If I was attacked and killed without doing my best to hurt/kill the murderer I would be letting my fellow citizens down.

That coward! He was murdered in his sleep at the age of six, and he didn't try to kill his stepdad! He really let us down there!

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  12. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Solo = exactly.

JP = :p

13. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    "Perhaps walking your dog during the day would be safer for all invloved."

It was during the day.

" but that comment about letting your community down is crap, I'm sorry."

I'm glad I don't have you for a neighbor.

"You'd go to jail for attempted man slaughter if you attacked an attacker."

Only in the UK and other liberal nations. In the US it's called self defense and more than ten million Americans do it every year with out fear of reprisal.

"But I'm also sorry to hear you have to "arm" yourself to go for a walk"

I don't have to I CHOOSE to. If Han Solo hadn't chosen to arm himself, the rebellion would be gone. A classic example ( and posibly even one you'd understand) of private citizens meeting lethal force with lethal force in a responsible way.

14. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    the real problem is how bad of a game postal 2 is. its just stupid! the demo stunk! the first game was fun but the sequel stunk bad.

15. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I was sort of looking forward to Postal 2, but after I played the demo, I just threw it away.

16. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I still remember something Edward Furlong said in the movie "Brainscan"...let me simply rephrase it -- "it's not guns who kill people, but people who kill people". I agree with the thread starter, it's people's decisions that are to blame, not what the media shells out. Gunslingers in the old west were killing all the time. No TV back then.

17. Evil_Slayer_Thiessen

Evil_Slayer_Thiessen Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2003
    Agreed. But I have to sum up any of my posts saying that games HAVE gone too far. Just because you don't have the responsibility of those people who take the stuff seriously, doesn't mean that you should encourage peeps to act out brutal pointless violence. I do not refer to all games... but there are several that are downright awefull.

-Evil_Slayer

18. RogueRoyalGuard

Nov 29, 2002
    Ahmen WormieSaber!
    coudn't have put it better myself.

19. zaphod_beeblebrox

zaphod_beeblebrox Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2001
    For gun culture in America, watch Bowling for Columbine, which is the most recent Micheal Moore film.
    I'm 16, and I'm from England, that film taught me a lot about why the hell American school kids can get hold of guns, let alone go and kill their classamtes and teachers etc.
    One simple reason this doesn't happen in England is that you simply can't get hold of guns that easily.
    Then there's that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" crap, well to quote Eddy Izzard: "Well they bloddy help!"

I agree with Fanboy_Solo, the reason killing etc. is fun in games is the fact that it isn't real, and you dopn't have to think about the connotations of what you're doing.

20. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "But I have to sum up any of my posts saying that games HAVE gone too far. Just because you don't have the responsibility of those people who take the stuff seriously, doesn't mean that you should encourage peeps to act out brutal pointless violence. I do not refer to all games... but there are several that are downright awefull."

you are entitled to that opinion. that is also the reason for the freedom to choose. if you want to plan an ultraviolent game you should be able to. if it doesnt appeal to you then you can just pass it by. the problem comes in though when you try to force people into your belief structure or value system.

"For gun culture in America, watch Bowling for Columbine, which is the most recent Micheal Moore film.
    I'm 16, and I'm from England, that film taught me a lot about why the hell American school kids can get hold of guns, let alone go and kill their classamtes and teachers etc. "

well then you are the perfect person to comment on this not being from America and all!

the problem is two fold.

first the problem is the irresponsible care and treatment of guns. parents leaving guns in easily accesible places and not teaching their kids to treat the gun with respect because it can be deadly.

the second and most important problem is the role of parents in american society. these days the family unit is virtually non-existant. the majority of time both parents work and kids are left to day care or to their own devices. if children are left without proper guidance they run the risk of travelling down the wrong path. it happens all the time. people try to place blame on things like video games, rock music, gun availablility when really their own parenting is the problem. refusal to accept responsibilty for your actions and the actions of your children. that is the problem.

21. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    SAince this was directed at me:
    All I saw is that you can't tell me that when a guy in a bank pulls a gun and tells everyone to lie on the floor, you wish that someone there would have a gun and kill him before he could continue terrorizing everyone.
    Umm, no. I think I'd rather wait for armed police to come and sort things out than for some guy to try and play the hero, and get himself and others killed.
    Someone said a few posts back that 90% of publicly owned guns were never used in crime. Well 10% is a hell of a lot.
    And I bet most school shootings in America are a result of guns the kids got somehow off their parents.
    The point is, shootings and violence are a result of stupid sick minded people, not games. Americas gun policies only make it easier for people to get hold of guns.

22. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    GTA3 does not make me want to go run over people and shoot them any more than watching Godfather makes me want to go put horse heads in peoples bedsheets.

It's as simple as that. Games and movies as an acompliment to a crime is viable, but they are not the cause and should not be destroyed or put away with because of this. People killed each other before there was such a large mass media standard, people still kill each other. Mass media may help in this killing, but you could argue that someone getting food poisoning at a resturant is the REASON that man killed the chef. But you'd be wrong. The reason he killed the chef was because he's a ******' crazyhead.

[color=indigo]Board policy asks that you * out the [i]entire[/i] swear word. Thanks. [/color]

23. The_Rum_Diarist

The_Rum_Diarist Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2003
    Video games have gone too far. Sure, no kid has taken a spade and whacked off his neighbor's head after playing Postal 2, but it's only a matter of time, right? Ratings and parental responsibility isn't enough. We should start banning games for violence and other questionable content. The censors know what's good for us and we're too stupid to look after ourselves. We need someone to do it for us.

After we clean up the game industry of their filth, we can stop making violence TV shows and movies. While we're at it, let's go ahead and take out all sex, nudity, and swearing. Let's go ahead and get rid of anything in the slightest bit controversial. Of course that'll be the censor's standards and not yours but you'll have to trust them to make the decisions you're clearly incapable of making, even if you have no way to tell the censors what you think.

After that, we can go after books. I was reading a book the other day and I was outraged., It was about these two boys who ran away from home. They used filthy language and racist remarks, committed acts of violence, and even faked their own deaths as a cruel hoax. I believe the book was called The Adventures of Huckelberry Finn. And do you realize just how many books involve graphic depictions of murder, violence, language, criminal acts and S-E-X? I'm from Buenos Aries and I say burn them all!

Won't somebody please think of the children!

24. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    The all powerful "censors" with their clearly "right-ist" viewpoint know what's good for me. [face_plain]

I buy the violent games I so choose, and I know they have no influence on my behaviour. What's good for some 17 year old, desensitised gamers is not the same as what is suitable for the good little innocent Christian Timmy to play while mommy and/or daddy go to the country club.

25. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    I have no interest in all powerful censors determining what's good for me. I may not the right choice all the time but it's my choice.

For children that are underage, as DarthGoat said, it is the parents responsibility to monitor their children and what they watch and play. Parents have put off enough parental responsibilities already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.