main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Char, NC Postponed -- One Man Star Wars Show

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jada, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    One Man Star Wars
    October 14, 2006
    McGlohon Theatre at Spirit Square
    ?Off-the-wall fun!? ? Chicago Tribune It?s a one-hour, high energy, nonstop blast through the first three Star Wars films. The catch is, there's only one cast member. Charles Ross, the writer and solo performer of One Man Star Wars, spent too much of his childhood in a galaxy far, far away ? and adulthood has been similar. Ross plays all the characters, recreates the effects, sings the music, flies the ships and fights both sides of the battles. Spin Magazine describes the show as a ?hyperactive distillation of George Lucas? sci-fi films... the result is a half homage, half satire.? Don?t miss this wildly amusing ride!

http://www.blumenthalcenter.org/events/detail.asp?id=294

There are 2 shows:

7:00pm
    9:00pm

Tickets for this range are 17.50 and 22.50.

If you haven't heard of this before, check out his site.

I'm going to see if TK-2970 and I can do this. Anyone else interested?

2. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    I'm already hunting down tickets for my mom and I... we saw it in Arts and Entertainment a few days ago, and I declared that we could not miss it (we go to a play or two a month, so I decided that would be one of them...)

DL Purple Pencil

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I emailed the Group Sales folks and this is what they sent me:

Thank you for your email. Group rates are listed below:

Orchestra/Balcony: $20.25
    Side Balcony: $15.75

The group minimum for the show is 10. In addition to the ticket prices, a group handling fee of $1.25 is added to each ticket. Please call (704) 379-1380 to reserve your seats!

Sherry Dossett
    NC Blumenthal Performing Arts Center

So if we did a group sale we'd be saving .50 per ticket . . . [face_money_eyes] [face_laugh]

darkladypurplepencil, which show were you planning on? I'm thinking the later one and we could all meet for dinner earlier. That way if folks can't go to the show they could at least meet up for dinner.

4. darkladypurplepencil

darkladypurplepencil Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 16, 2006
    :_| I just went to go put it on the my calender, and I realized that I will be attending a wedding in Indiana on the 14th... I would try to get out of it, but I figured my friend would be a little more than slightly upset if I missed his wedding to go to a Star Wars thing... :_| And I was really looking forward to it to!!!
    You guys are going to have to give a play-by-play of it.

DL Purple Pencil

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'll be there, for sure.

6. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Good, we will need help with the food drive. [face_dancing]

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Hey Trooper! We've got to confirm that with the theater first. ;) :p

8. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    I know that... 8-}

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Update - I've made contact! :eek:

I spoke with Lynn at Blumenthal and she is going to speak with the President of the Performing Arts Center about having the Food Drive. Cross your fingers for good luck! [face_good_luck]

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    People, this *IS* happening!!!

Eric from Blumenthal will be calling me back to arrange for a time for the two of us to meet and view the venue and start making arrangements for the Food Drive.

Anyone and everyone who can participate please let me know. This isn't limited to just the event. People can help before hand with putting up signs and getting the word out.

I'm going to be making an "Event Sheet" to cover what we will need, what Blumenthal will provide, etc.

Right now what I need is people to say they want to help and what they think they can help with.

Do you have media contacts? Let me know!

WooHoo! This is going to be great! :D

11. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I have media contacts. What are you looking for exactly?

Also, I'll go and help out and then possibly the show but probably not dinner. I'll at least help out with the drive. I'd love to see the show, but I've got a lot going on and some big things coming up soon... so...

Yeah. :p

12. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Radio, TV, Newspaper . . . everything. I need contact names, phone numbers and addresses.

13. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    I'll get you what I've got by Monday, then. I don't have access to them on the road.

14. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, this is going to be a big post but please everybody read!!! :D

I'm working with the 501st and trying to make contact with the Rebel Legion. I'll also be sending a PM to TKBig and ROYAL_RED who have their own costuming group.

This is an excerpt from what I posted on the Carolina 501st boards:

Met with Eric at Spirit Square today. What an amazing place! This is all new to me since I'm really new to the area. The McGlohon Theater is one of the most beautiful performing spaces I've ever seen. For those that have never been there, it is a converted church. The original entrance isn't used and there is a traditional theater type entrance from the side. No pews . . . real seats but is it beautiful!

OK, enough gushing. Onto more practical details:

Changing room

They are going to secure a room for us to use for changing. I'll be going down there and checking it out.

Do you want me to see if they can stock it with water?

Weapons

They are going to be alerting their Security folks that the costumed characters normally carry weapons.

Times

After discussing this with the Spirit Square folks it seems more prudent to plan to have characters out starting at 6:30pm until curtain time and then after the first show and until curtain time for the second show.

Photography - how it will be handled

This is a charity event and we are promoting Second Harvest. In order for someone to take a picture with the characters they need to donate either a canned good or a $1 for Second Harvest. When they make a donation they will get a "card" to take to the photographer who will take their picture with the characters. The photographer will then give them a calling card which will have an email for them to contact for the picture.

The space we will be working with

It's picture time!

Here is the entrace to the theater and where we will have our table. The table will be skirted and have a tablecloth.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SithJada/CFF/th_2006_0915007.jpg]

This next photo is very important because it shows that the floor at each end is slanted. This will be important for helmeted folks to remember so that they don't do a swan dive and kiss the carpet.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SithJada/CFF/th_2006_0915003.jpg]

I'm the chic in the pink shirt. I was wearing my Jedi Broad Squad/Fight for the Cure Breast Cancer t-shirt to show them how many different charities SW fans try to get involved with. ;)

And this is where the characters would stand for pictures.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/SithJada/CFF/th_2006_0915004.jpg]

I'm wondering if I could get them to do a black curtain there. [face_thinking]

OK, what other information do you all need from me?

What I need is a sound off list of who will be there in what costume.

So far we have:

anakin1974 - ?
    TI-6212 - Tie Pilot
    TK-5766 - TK Armor
    36CedarCove - TK or Biker Scout

WHAT I NEED FROM THE CHARLOTTE SEPARATIST FOLKS!

I need firm committments for the following:

• Volunteers to "man" the table/collect donations/hand out cards

• Wranglers for the costumed characters

• People to put up flyers anywhere and everywhere legal! ;)

This is a great opportunity to attract new members to the group and to make a positive impact on the community! Let's have fun!

15. Darth_Julio

Darth_Julio Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2004
    what time is everybody going so i can buy my ticket [please !!!

16. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Julio, right now I know that I'll be there for both shows as will TK-2970. We will probably go to the 9pm show.

17. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Do we have to pay for a ticket to man the table?

18. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I'll ask them about this. My thought is that if people come down specifically just to work the table and don't go into the show then they shouldn't but I won't give a guarantee on that until I ask them.

19. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Okay. Because I'm really not interested in seeing the show so much as I'd like to just help out.

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    OK, official word on volunteering but not going into the show.

If you want to just volunteer and not see the show you may do this.

The security people will be aware that there will be volunteers.

21. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Sweet, cool. I feel relieved now. :p

22. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    We have an article on tf.n main and fanforce.net!!!!

article

Um, I wrote it :eek:)

I'm going to have this "stickied" for now.

23. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Anyone and everyone!

I've created a flyer for this event. I'm hosting it on a ripway.com account. The bandwidth isn't much so if you click and it is unavailable just go back to it later.

Flyer

It would be great if folks could put this up around town, etc.

TK-2970 and I will be dropping off flyers at Rebel Base today.

24. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Important Update

I just got a call from my contact at the Blumenthal. *sigh* Bravo for Charlie because his engagement in Europe has been extended. But at this time the show is postponed until sometime in February. So, for now we will stop major planning on this and I'll have it unstickied.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Just hold on and when we get more information I'll post.

~Jada

25. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    we will look forward to hearing more about this when the time comes. I for one hope we get the chance in Tucson to see this some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.