main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH POTC2

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_William, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    Not that I'm into this ('cause I *hated* the 1st one, & I'll be busy seeing Superman Returns for the 5th time this weekend! :D) but just wondered--wasn't there talk of a group viewing for this?

2. Jo-Nich

Jo-Nich Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2005
    You lost me at the acronym.

3. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest. (Or, at least, that's what I'm assuming. Give me some time and I'm sure I could come up with some other ideas. Hmm... People Opening Tomato Cans. Presidents Operating Trucks Carefully. Predators Offering Teens Candy.)
    I saw it on Wed. and I thought it was great! If anyone else is down for seeing this, I'm in.
    WHAT? Really? You're kidding. What didn't you like about it?
    My only major complaint is that I personally don't like Keira Knightley.

4. Darth_William

May 4, 2002
    Johnny Depp's Keith Richards impersonation got on my last nerve
    after about 5 minutes. Watching him prance around acting like a
    3-day drunk for two hours really did nothing for me.
    I've seen him play crazy one too many times, I think.
    That's really what bugged me most about the flick, but even with
    all of the action I was bored out of my mind by the end, and felt
    that much of the plot was incoherent.

5. TravisTheGeek

TravisTheGeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2006
    Hmm, that's fair. You might want to avoid this one too then because Depp is back at it in full force.

6. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    I want to see the movie eventually.... but I am with Bill... I will probably try to squeeze in Superman again this weekend instead :) Let the Pirates craze slow down a bit.

7. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    OH, screw that - I'm pirates all the way, cuz Superman was super-boring (like what I did there?). Pirates had much better dialogue AND action than the whole superman franchise, and that was just in the first movie. And let's not forget, no giant cellophane "S".

8. Darth_William

May 4, 2002
    You know what they say opinions are like, right CJ?
    Yeah, everybody's got one of those, too! ;)

9. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    yeah and so far Superman hasn't even made a profit yet...lol.

What is it, 140 million in over a week on a 289 million dollar movie?

10. Darth_William

May 4, 2002
    That's no indication of quality though, my friend.
    By that standard, Serenity would have proven to be one of the worst films of last year &
    we both know that's the farthest thing from the truth, no?

11. DarthClerical

DarthClerical Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 28, 2002
    I'm with Bill there. The film has brought in over $140 million in just ONE week. It's already pulled in more money faster than Batman Returns. Besides, the budget of $260 million includes the 10 years of pre-production that Warner Bros. took getting the movie made. The real budget for this film is around $200 million, so they are pretty close to breaking even already.

Don't get me wrong. I did like the first Pirates movie and I do intend to see the new one in the very near future. I'm just still enthralled by Superman at the moment.

12. darthgwen

darthgwen Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    Dude.... what was just a "hey does anyone want to see Pirates II" has become quite the little showdown on movie tastes. Why doesn't this surprise me? :D

13. frabotti

frabotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2003
    I havent seen superman yet but it will have to be pretty great to be better than POTC2 in my opinion. The ending to pirates 2 is awesome.

14. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    I've never seen the first Pirates, and have no desire to see the second. I went on the original Pirates ride at Disneyland right after the first movie came out, before the "upgrades". And I didn't see what all the hype was about. Thought it was slightly boring actually. I guess I just dont get it.

I do have to agree with Bill, that the amount of money a movie makes, does not make it a good or bad movie. Can you say Blair Witch Project? It made $47 bajillion, and I could have got the same movie by giving my 4 year old nephew a camera and telling him to run in the woods.
    "Nothings happening, nothings happening, something about a map, I dont know I wasn't really paying attention....Nothings happening.....and..It's over. A lot of the people in the audience look pissed."

15. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    Right but you have to give it to Blair witch for being inventive enough to get that much turn around. They just as easily could have made it for nothing and made, well, nothing.

The pirates ride is kind of boring, I agree. However, the films just rock! Scott was right - the new film blew superman out of the water. Take that, Man of Steel! It was like watching him (figureatively) being kicked in the chest again and again by Luthor (Which I still maintain was a piss poor replacement for a big action packed fight scene in that movie).

16. frabotti

frabotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2003
    If only everybody realized this, the world would be a better place.

17. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    Sigh....... I think we should petition TFN for the words "Scott was right" to be banned.

18. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    Can I help it if Scott is the only person so far to agree with me?

19. Darth_William

May 4, 2002
  20. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    I actually kind of like that article, but even more like the discussion afterward. Plus, they are making assumptions on the final cost of the film on the basis that the TWO movies are a total amount. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that Dead Man's Chest is DONE...someone should find out how much IT cost to make instead of how much it and At World's End cost to make together. Once they do that, it provides us a basis for how much it cost (as well as for how much they are racking up on the final film). It seems to me that they just keep adding things to the last one (the article says there's still 6 weeks of shooting, as well as a cameo by Keith Richards, that may or may not have already been factored in to the "final" costs). I just hope, pray, beg to God, Allah, Zeus and everyone else possibly up there that this doesn't take the super-duper-totally-craptastic turn that matrix: revolutions (yes, I still hate it enough to purposefully NOT capitalize the title) did, and turn what could have been a great trilogy into a great movie...and two HORRIBLE sequels(EDIT - after reflection this is not possible, as POTC will still be above the matrix as 2 Awesome movies, whether AWE dies or not).

On the plus side, POTC2 is still racking up tons of cash, regardless of how much it needs to make it into the black (the article says 3x, someone else thinks it may be 2x or 2.5x, which I'm pretty sure it has made), and maybe, just maybe, could finally sink that stupid ship that has been on top for FAR too long.....Then again, that would mean it would bury what should have been the top dogs...films we have far more of a connection to than even I do to POTC (how bad is that, POTC1 was Margie and I's first date)...of course, I'm talking about Shrek 2...:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.