main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Potential Critisisms of newer books.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -HD-YaebGinn, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    I read NJO and enjoyed it, it was interesting and kept you going.

I read Joiner kind and has kind of dissappointed. Our heroes are old geezers. And worse, they have '30-40 good years left' I mean, Mara not killing an assasin because her son doesnt want her to? Jedi dodgeball?

Now a 17 book series is coming out. Do you think this is milking it a tad? Jacen/Jaina being 30-ish? Han being 60-65 (at least!)

Is anyone else thinking along the same lines? That the sequel books should end with tihs series and the writers should concentrate on pre-movie stores or in between the movie stories?

I dont want Han Solo to be 80 years old and still galavanting with his chums in the Falcon. But nor do I want him dead.

How would you/do you think they should end the post movie series? For good, not just one series.

2. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    17 book series? o_O

3. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Don't worry, its only a nine book series coming out next. And bad news for you I guess. They've already announced a new comic arc called Legacy whcih takes place 100 years after NJO which means Han will be dead.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    ...but Pellaeon probably won't be :p 8-}

5. DoranNu

DoranNu Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    I also enjoyed NJO (mostly) but enjoyed DN as well (once I got through the Yoggoy and the whatevers).

I feel that they are going to have to retire some of these characters soon, and I hate to say it, but starting with Han. I was sad when Ackbar died, but they got rid of him too (after having him design his last battle plan in DW first, of course). Truth is,

So... I feel you'll have to accept it, or end up killing everything like Anakin in your quest to save your pregnant but doomed wife with twins setting off a... (rant)

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Legacy is being made by two of Star Wars' best writers: Traviss and Denning. With their books neck above the usual bland produce, there's little to complain with these providores, and rather pointless to speculate until the vrapple has been eaten, 'Ginn.

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    And Allston... :p

Traviss, Denning, and Allston are writing Legacy of the Force

Edit: And the Legacy is being written by Ostrander, who can really do no wrong. IMO.

8. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    I am referring to novels only. The comics are fine, but I dont consider them canon.

only 9? thats wonderful.

do you think they will end it with this series or will it keep going? (novels, not comics)

9. DoranNu

Sep 15, 2004
    I hope they continue with it, in some way...

10. Darth_Napoleon_MN

Darth_Napoleon_MN Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2004
    That's funny that you don't consider the comics canon when they produced 2 characters in the movies. One on screen and one just mentioned. Something I don't think any of the novels ever did.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I believe comics are definetely canon. Sometimes even better than the novels! And with Legacy coming out, they'll become just as important to Star Wars as the novels.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    And considering that the board opinion seems to be that the clone wars comics>NJO novels..

And that George reads the comics and not the novels..:p

13. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Hello! Knights of the Old Republic! Tales of the Jedi! Jedi vs. Sith! Legacy!

The comics takes us places the novels might never see. We've got a Darth Bane novel coming, but that's it. And even then the real full force of that story is in the Jedi vs. Sith comic, the novel is just the back story TO the comic.

And yeah, Clone Wars = amazing. And from what I hear the comics trumpt the Clone Wars novels.

And it is canon... can't really not conisder it canon... I mean it just IS. You can choose to ignore it, despite characters in the comics showing up on screen, but you cannot deny its canon-ness.

14. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    This isnt a comic vs novel debate.

1. Lucas reads novel also.

2. Ok, now that I think about it, some comics are canon. Clone Wars was very true to what I have read/heard. But not all comics are canon.

3. Neither are all novels, though. Specifically the Black Fleet Crisis I dont count.

4. But some comics which people say are canon, I dont count as such. That one with the clone palpatine. I found that to be extremely lame, and thus I dont count it as canon. A clone palpatine? how lame.

back on topic.

15. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    But with Dark Empire, it happened... It gets mentioned in other books... therefore it's canon. I mean, you can make believe it never happened, but it still happened. It's mentioned in almost every book after it happened, Luke always thinks back to his time with Palpy.

I mean you make it sound so matter-of-fact. There's a difference between what IS canon, and what you believe to be personal canon.

16. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Luke has a different lightsaber in Dark Empire. Whats that all about?

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    1.) He might, we don't know for sure. But we do knwo for sure he reads some comics.

2.) All comics except Infities are canon. And Legacy will be done by the same makers of the Clone War "Republic" comics

3.) They all are canon. Fans couldn't decide what's canon even if they wanted to.

4.) Lucas said he loved Dark Empire, was a lot like what an Episode 7-9 would be about, and bought copes for all of his workers for Christmas. (I didn't like the idea much either at first of the cloned emperor, but I'm ok with it now.) He also read "Republic" and put two of those characters into the movies.

18. -HD-YaebGinn

Jan 31, 2005
    1. Actually we do. He has said he read books.

2. Not Tales.
    Legacy can be canon, but it's so far in the future that it doesnt matter. It doesnt relate to anything else at all.
    And if there is any Sith, it isnt canon.

3. So when Mara Jade says Vader lost his right hand due to the Death Star exploding ,not due to Obi-Wanm that canon? When Luke destroys a castle and rebuilds it using the Force, thats canon?

4. What 2 characters for starters. The books have 1 character who was in the film because of it. The Whie kid in the hologram. And Vos was first in the films.

5. I do pick and choose what is canon based on what flows together. A clone Emperor doesnt make sense and doesnt flow. Luke rebuilding a castle using the Force doesnt make sense. Alot of the books and comics are canon, as I admitted earlier. But not all of it.

6. George Lucas also said the darkside is stronger than the light, after saying it wasnt years before. What George lucas says doesnt automatically make it true, he contradicts himself alot. If it were a religion, he would have no followers.

19. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    We know he read the RotS novel during the writing process. But I've always heard that he generally doesn't read novels.

You don't control *official* canon. And Tales isn't always neccesarily non-canon. It became canon after #20, and the previous ones are variable.
    Vader lost his hand several times. Anyways, any crazy unbelievable stuff in the comics probably doesn't compare to some of the weirder novel stuff. Lando Calrissian Adventures, Waru, etc.
    Vos was unnamed in Episode I, but mentioned by his EU comic name in Episode 3. The other one is Aayla Secura, who first appeared in the comics back in 2000.
    Like I said, you don't dictate official canon. A lot of stuff doesn't make sense, but it's all officially canon.

20. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Whie was in the ROTS script, and Sean Stewart wrote about him after inquiring about including ROTS extras. He ultimately came from Lucas, not the other way around.

21. DoranNu

Sep 15, 2004
    I'm betting you mean the two-continent Coruscant? That's been retconned into saying Coruscant does have an artificial ocean somewhere, but not a natural two oceans. We can see plainly now in the prequels that Coruscant is an ecumenopolis, and Michael P. Kube-McDowell can suck his personal issues with a big city some other time.

But, at the time, when the Black Fleet Crisis came out, it was CANON. Only a movie can override it, in which case, the book usually gets retconned, which it has. N'Zoth still exists, the Yevetha still exist (although they were attacked by the Vong) and the Fallanassi still exist. Still canon...

22. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Wow, and the Black Fleet Crisis was my favorite Bantam trilogy!

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The Black Fleet Trilogy is among the best in the Star Wars series (sans Luke's third of Shileld of Lies)

24. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    >>3. So when Mara Jade says Vader lost his right hand due to the Death Star exploding ,not due to Obi-Wanm that canon? When Luke destroys a castle and rebuilds it using the Force, thats canon?<<

Vader never lost his right hand to Obi-Wan. He lost it to Dooku, that one Jedi in Purge, that Separatist crystal thing on Nelvaan, and to Luke twice, but Obi-Wan only severed his other three limbs. Mara says Palpatine cut off his right hand for losing the Death Star, but I'm inclined not to believe her because she's an idiot.

25. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Mara said that the Emperor took Vader's right hand. She never said it wasn't a robot hand.

Oh, and everything = canon except anything explicitly labeled Infinities. Hell, even the Holiday Special is canon. That's not my opinion, that's Lucasfilm's opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.