main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Potential Imperial-perspective novel in the works...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (from the VIP thread on TOS)

"For that matter, (and this is more for Sue) are there any plans at all for novels set in the Impeiral era from the Imperial POV (after Dark Lord of course)?"

Sue: "Yes, there is something in the works. I'll let you know more as soon as it becomes more definite."

2. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
  3. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Awsome! *puts on imperial march*

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

But it won't have strong Imperial characterisation. Most likely some people who'll end up defecting, throw in some chummy romantic ideas of rebellion and betrayal, and off they'll go to switch sides. [:D]

:rolleyes:

Unless . . . it's Katarn's Impy days!

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    But, which "Imperial perspective"... I definately wouldn't mind Imperial Commando, or a subtle military thing; but I'm switched off by what I suspect we'll get, which is too much metaphysics, and not enough genuine character-driven story...

- The Imperial Ewok

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Could be a great novel in the works here. Of course it could bomb, too.

7. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Well, they are the same thing right Ex? Good old KK getting chummy with certain rebels. Defecting. Blah fecking blah...I'm with Ex. Most likely we will get the "Young and brave Imperial pilot *insert name*, fresh from the acadmey oges off to fight the rebels. But, he realizes the Empire is evil and tries to defect etc."

8. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Mareek Steele. *crosses fingers,toes,and eyes*
    cmon man

or maybe Soontir Fel

But YEAH BABY.

9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The return of Kir Kanos!

10. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'd love it if they had someone who actually believed in the Empire and had no problem fighting for it.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Even better, a Tie Fighter series similar to the X-Wing series.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

What I would have done, is pov a black ops operative (did I say Alias?) and give the reader the impression Zarion will defect in the end, after killing the Impy commander of the book. The surprise finale in actual fact sees s/he ursurping the (revealed to be rebel) commander's flag and destroying the rebel cell. Mission accomplished, reader surprised.

But this double dealing is rare in Star Wars, alas. Cloak of Decept aside, of course.

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Lt. Sunber!

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    [face_love]

Stele's already been shown in TIE Fighter's players guide and the Stele Chronicles, Fel's story was already told in comics, and Lt. Sunber is a bit far away from the pre-ANH era they'll probably use.

But this is good news.

15. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Steele Chronicles.. ? never read em or seen em.. I just read the books that came with the Tie Fighter Collectors edition way back when (windoze 95 baby)

16. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I think an Imperial perspective novel featuring some competent loyal imperials would be great, as long they don't end up joining the rebellion in the end.

17. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    Point One: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Point Two: I remeber the Steele Chronicles quite fondly, and felt that both they and TIE Fighter (I really need to find an appropriate religious sign to make every time I invoke that name)did an astoundingly succesful job of showing us an Imperial's Empire. It would have to be a novel written the gray areas of the Star Wars galaxy, where the Rebels are more like terrorist and the Imperials, though perhaps murderously heavy-handed, are still in the right.

Needless to say, a Karen Traviss Imperial Commandoswould trancend writen language's ability to express joy at the utter **** sweetness of such a concept.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Stele, not Steele, people! :p

It's likely going to be Imperial Commando, because they'd neatly work with the rumors of a game by the same name, both of which would be yummy.

I just hope the game portrays the Empire as well as TIE did.

19. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I could think of a couple good Imps from the films it would bne nice to have more background about: Ozzel, Piett and Veers.

For the EU: Pellaeon. Definitely.

20. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    I'd love to see some perspective on how the average Imperial views the big three... specifically Luke. Is there anything out there like that?

21. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    I wouldn't mind simply rehashing the OT from an Imp POV, but then again, I'm old fashioned and still relatively new to EU.

And I hope they don't introduce some huge rival that's totally off the walls (Black Sun in SOTE comes to mind. Third in power only to Sidious and Vader, and we never hear about him...why?). I'd almost like to see a section of the Imperial Navy fighting against Sen. Garm Bel Ilblis's dreadnaughts.

22. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Sounds fantastic, but I can see this turning out to be another noble Imeperial defector type thing. Rogriss, Fel, Petothel, Tantor, Katarn... and we all know where Sunber is headed... can't we have a normal, likeable Imperial who isn't eventually a traitor? I hardly believe it'd be possible for the rebellion to be shown by most authors as anything but shining and virtuous. I'll hold out hope, though.

In other words, I'd rather see Karen Traviss write this one than an Allston or a Stackpole.

And please, no following just grunts. Portray the higher-ups as sympathetic and likeable, too. Go out on a limb.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    A revolutionary book that reveals Palpatine was just misunderstood~

Whoops, maybe not that high up and not that far of a limb. :p

24. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    This has a lot of potential... just as the noble defector syndrome keeps its ugly head away.

25. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    There's the Union comic, for one. Some Remnant admiral hates Luke enough to try and...disrupt his wedding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.