main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [POTO] A few lines in red ink (50 sentences challenge) - Table II up 06/06/11

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by laurethiel1138, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Title: A few lines in red ink

Author: laurethiel1138

Fandom: The Phantom of the Opera

Summary: 50 Sentence Challenge

Disclaimer: Not mine (alas!)

Note: Strongly inspired by Leroux, with a dash of Webber and Kay for good measure, and with an emphasis on the characters of Erik and Christine.

[color=darkred][b]Table II:[/b] [i]singing songs in my head[/i]

01. Mask
    Erik?s mother, unable to bear the sight of her own son?s face, fashioned him a cloth mask, a new tear falling along with every single stitch.

02. Guardian
    Christine?s father had promised her that she would have a guardian angel, and over the years, as she faced life?s cruelties, she had stopped believing he would ever come, until an unearthly whisper made her wonder again.

03. Childish
    And a little boy rescued the scarf of a little girl on the shore of the small Breton bourg of Perros-Guirec, unwittingly setting the stage for a great tragedy.

04. Concealment
    In all of her voice lessons, Christine had never seen her maestro, had never thought to ask his name, and was subsequently at a loss when the managers wanted to know whom they should thank for her sudden improvement.

05. Instruction
    ?Again,? the voice demanded, making her rehearse until she reached the proper combination of technique and lyrical expression.

06. Hypnotic
    Melodies met and parted in Erik?s mind in a hypnotic dance, until he thought he would become mad if he did not put them to paper.

07. Isolation
    He soon heard people?s whispers about ?le fils du Diable?, and his isolation grew until he could not make the difference between his bullies and humanity, vowing to make them all pay for the pain they had visited upon him.

08. Divine
    He came to reject any belief in a higher authority but his own, for a god of love could not have wished to visit such torment upon him by giving him such an angelic voice along with such a demonic face.

09. Claim
    With supreme arrogance, he claimed the box number five as his very own.

10. Ghost
    While it was true that he sometimes made things disappear and reappear, it soon became very convenient for the corps de ballet to blame any missing slipper or tutu on the Fantôme, making him look responsible for their own forgetfulness.

11. Cadenza
    The broken cadenzas of Don Juan Triomphant resonated in his house down below, filling the air with a suffering the common man was unable to even imagine.

12. Grotesque
    Christine recoiled as the true face of her Ange de Musique was revealed to her in all its grotesque disharmony.

13. Beneath
    Beneath the Opera House, Erik had hijacked Charles Garnier?s plans to fashion a space where he could build a small cottage, the only home he would ever know.

14. Innocence
    Like a man possessed, Erik coveted Christine?s innocence, oblivious to the fact that she would lose it by merely consorting with him.

15. Halve
    Christine often thought that if she could merge her two suitors together and retain only their better halves, she would have the ideal lover; reality, however, was seldom that convenient.

16. Song
    For fear of forgetting the sound of her mother tongue, Christine had taken to singing songs of the North to lull herself to sleep.

17. Ingénue
    La Carlota came to greatly resent the little upstart ingénue who dared think that she could take her place as the great diva.

18. Curtain
    Nervously, Christine awaited the curtain call in her dressing room, wondering if she would be up to the challenge of taking to the stage as a principal of the cast.

19. Chandelier
    The opera managers had long been warned of the great chandelier?s obsolete hanging mechanisms, so Erik could hardly be blamed of taking advantage of the situation, now, could he?

20. Soprano
    La Carlota was a wonderful technical singer, able to execute flawlessly any melody; regretfully, she had not the capacity of making the audience weep or laugh w

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    These are very touching and insightful, though also sad. I love the last sentence--a perfect way to end the set!!

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Vos paroles sont belles, mon cher! Erik serait fier. ;)

And the red font - inspired. [face_devil][face_mischief]

I adored reading these on so many levels - they were emotional, poignant, and you captured the spirit of the story wonderfully. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing this turn into a series. ;) [face_whistling]

Hypnotic: I love looking at Erik's bond to music, and this was a wonderful glimpse of it here.

Isolation: My throat was tight and dry reading that one. Oh, Erik . . . :(

Ghost: How such stories have a snowball effect - and then the legend is born. [face_laugh]

Innocence: And that is the crux of the matter. :(

Halve: [face_laugh] Oh, if it were only that easy . . .

Soprano: I liked how you looked at this! Over the years and the adaptations her character has gone from a foil to Christine to an absurd sort of character with no talent or artistic value whatsoever. :p She has a marvelous instrument, but no soul . . .

Chord: Such FEELINGS for this one. [face_love]

Symmetric: Especially with Monsieur Butler . . . [face_whistling] :p

Shame: Oh, Erik . . . :(

Entreaty: How understandable her plight is, but how sad to see at the same time!
    Madness: Great character glimpse!

Plead: How can it be that no matter how many adaptations of that moment there are, reading it every time is like a fresh blow to the stomach. I am breathless. Again. [face_love]

Phantom: But this is my favorite one of the set! Just chill worthy. There's nothing else to say about it. [face_love]

Well done! =D=

~MJ @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.