main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Potterish talk and Britishy things. (BOOK 6 chat!)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Elensara, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    So...I had fun gettin' my book at B&N; I got an owl drawn on my cheek and plastic Potter glasses, as well as finally getting dinner (at 11-whatever...I'd been at work all day). I'd only reserved one copy, so from this morning's wristband run, I got a reserved copy wristband for me (yellow) and unreserved for my sister (orange), so after I got my book I read Ch. 1 aloud to her while we waited for the rest of the reserved people to get their books. I have to work at 10 tomorrow (ugh), but I have to read at least a couple more chapters tonight...and I'm definitely bringing the book to work tomorrow (today). We may even do readings at the store, heehee.

It was so hot in that store, I couldn't believe it. It was nearly as disgusting outside when we finally got out--80s and sooo muggy (yes, I almost typed 'muggle'). I sure miss the dry heat.

EDIT---------Let's be sure black out spoiler stuff!! Say what chapter you're referring to in regular text, then black out the rest. :)

*I Arvada Kedavraed this thread for length. See last post for details*

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    I just finished HP6 about 10 minutes ago. DAMN JK ROWLING! How can she kill off Dumbledore? And who is RAB? DAMN HER! How can she end the book that way and expect us to wait patiently for book 7? DAMN HER! [face_frustrated]

I feel so sad.

3. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, upon further reflection, I am wondering if Dumbledore is really dead. After all, Snape could have killed Harry but instead he merely deflected the curses and told Harry not to use the unfogiveable curses. And what about Fawkes? Could his song really be one of lament or did he have some sort of healing powers in his song? I can't wait for the next book.

Did anyone else laugh at Voldemort's little monologue on page 443? It was very TPM Yoda like.

4. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    Woohooo the new JD Robb book is out! Yes, I love this series...it's so cool with the futuristic....murder mystery...ummm...what?

What?

Huh?

Oh. JK Rowling. my bad . I don't read Harry Potter. ( I duck from the gianormous books thrown at me)
    But I'm willing to try again adn see if I'll enjoy them now. There's too much peer pressure for me not to.

5. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Wow, you finished quickly! I just finished (I have the excuse of working today and Saturday...besides being a slow reader). I'm in shock. I want to wear a black armband tomorrow or something. DH, that's interesting--you think Fawkes could've been crying over Dumbledore to heal him? I couldn't *believe* Snape killed him...I thought he was on the good side, even if he was a bastard to Harry...he seemed reluctant to do the Unbreakable Vow, but he couldn't exactly refuse either; he'd blow his credibility. That chapter (Avada Kedavra time), as I was reading, I was afraid either Dumbledore or Snape would die, as were Malfoy not to kill Dumbledore, Snape would have to or he'd die. Gah--Harry going it alone now (even if Ron and Hermoine stay with him) doesn't seem quite wise to me. I'd think he'd do better still going to school, at least some of the time, as he might learn things that could help him. He might even want to go retrieve Snape's old potions book, as that was handy. It killed me when McGonagal took Harry to *her* office (Dumbledore's)...not that I hadn't already been crying. Jeez, I don't remember crying before over HP, even with Sirius, as I didn't believe he was actually dead (still don't quite, actually), so it didn't really sink in (maybe only when Harry & Luin were talking about it...it's been awhile and I don't remember).

Other, non-Dumbledore stuff: As soon as there were the couple of blatant Hermione/Ron and Harry/Ginny things (like Ginny's flowery scent), ugh. Just, ugh. It's not my universe...I just don't like either of those pairings. Harry/Ginny isn't as bad though. Ron/Hermione bothers me. They always fight, and not in a cute way. Plus, though I like Ron, it seems like Hermionie's settling somehow. I dunno...they just don't seem right together to me. They seem a lot better fit as great friends. I know it would never happen, but the idea of the three of them just being together seems a lot more logical, romantic, and fitting. Any of them would die for another, and they work best as a team. Yeah, I realize I'm probably in the minority with that opinion, I know there are a LOT of Ron/Hermione shippers out there...I even like Harry/Hermione better though.
    Also, waaaay too little of Lupin. I love him so. (Lupin/Tonks? Did NOT expect that, but we're not exactly going to see Lupin/Hermione, are we, heh? Anyway, that seemed really random, and fanfic-ish, but I like Tonks, so...no real objections there. What the hell is with all the hooking up in this one?!? Seems odd, is all.
    Loved the part with Fred and George's joke shop. They're so awesome.
    Got all excited when Percy was (supposedly) coming for Christmas...the dog my parents got last summer is named after him.
    Snape referring to himself as a prince is actually pretty damn hilarious.
    Loved chapter 22...though now I can't remember what happened, only that after finishing it I was more satisfied from having read it than with any previous part.
    Hermione excited (near the beginning, when Harry gets his quiddich captain badge) that Harry can use their special bathroom was funny, as well as Ron being excited that Harry would be his captain.

That's all I can think of right now. Just over two days, just over four tissues, now I've finished. Now, we wait. Sigh...four more years............?

:) :(

6. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Oh yeah, I forgot about RAB. I have no idea who it is either. One other thing--Kreacher was hilarious in this one. I'll have to revisit the Voldemort stuff you're referring to tomorrow...later today, whatever. :)

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    WOW, ES, you said a mouthful. I wanted to post this yesterday but I was too busy. I had a revelation during the sermon yesterday morning about RAB. I thinkRAB is Regulus Black. He was a Deatheater who turned (and was killed). It seems to make sense to me. I'm going to re-read Order to confirm my suspicions. I was surprised with Snape being the Prince also. I really thought that Justin Finch Fetchley (or whatever his name was) was the prince. Regarding the speed in which I read the book, I picked it up at midnight and read for about an hour. I slept for about 3 and then read for about half an hour to an hour until we had to take my padawan to the airport. I really started reading seriously around 9 am and took an hour nap sometime around 1 pm. I also had to stop for dinner. When I finally put down the book I desperately needed someone to talk to about the book. Man! Mr. DH is reading (for the first time) HP1. I had read all but Order to them before.

I can't believe this is the first one to make you cry, ES. I cried at the end of Goblet and Order. All of them make me feel sad at the end. I get sort of choked up when I read the last couple of chapters aloud.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Oh, and about the hookups, I have no problems. I found Ron and Lavender annoying. And I liked the fact that Harry finally started liking Ginny and that she has always liked him and has dated others to get him out of her system. I think Ron and Hermione would be great together. They fight because Ron is an idiot and doesn't realize that Hermione likes him. She only gets mad at him when he pays attention to other girls. Once they hook up all will be right with the world. Tonks and Lupin was a connection I definitely did not expect but I'm really happy for him because I like Lupin and it's about time he got something. What about Bill and Fleur! Engaged! And she isn't so shallow that she would dump Bill when he lost his looks. I can't wait to see who they cast for Bill because I imagine him as super hot.

So, Mr. DH and I were watching HP1 on dvd last night and I keep forgetting how much I love Oliver Wood. He's so cool! He's got a great accent and he's cute to boot. Good teeth too. Yeah, okay, he's way too young but if I were 16 he would definitely be someone I would post in the For ES thread.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I may be the only one contributing to this thread right now but did anyone else laugh when someone, and I forgot who, called Ron "Rupert"? I almost fell out laughing. This isn't really a spoiler so I did not black it out.

10. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I think it may be becuase you're the only 2 people that have finished it. Give me a few weeks to catch up, and I'll come back to this thread. :)

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    What about the Crowbar? Has she finished? I'd love to hear her take.

12. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I will stay away from this thread until I read the last book and then this book. That will be in about two years. Carry on.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, get on the ball and read Order. That one took a bit longer than this one, a day and a half. I finished it right before we left for D-B's house for a barbecue.

14. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Well, TheCrowbar just picked up hers Sunday, And that's the copy I'll probably read.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I thought the Crowbar was going to be one of the loonies out there at midnight (like me). I actually sort of felt like I was in my element that night as I held court with four kids between the ages of 10 and 14 talking about the other books and the movies and all things Harry. It was a feeling I had not felt since... Celebration. I liked it and miss it terribly. I want to sit with others who have finished the book and talk about various plot points and characters. ES, come back now!

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    On a sort of juvenile note, I mentioned I thought Oliver Wood was cool. I just looked up his name. It's Sean Biggerstaff. [face_laugh] The funny thing is when I speak of him I always want to say I love (well, I can't say). It just sounds bad. O:)

17. TheCrowbar

TheCrowbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    OMG!!!! I need to get crack-a-lacking on my book! This whole dang board is secrets.. I must not look, i must not look!.

DH, i was supposed to be one of the HP loons (waited to wear my Hufflepuff shirt for months) BUT I was babysitting 4 kids all day, and they went from fun to ferocious! I was just too tired to deal with any rambunctious, sleep deprived children.

BUT I went and picked it up yesterday at Walmart and saved $2.21 *go me*

18. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I didn't buy a copy yet, but I did see it in Barnes and Noble and read the first page and last page. I never read the end like that but I just felt I had to this time. I don't know when I will get around to reading it so I wanted to know how it ends. :p

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Crowbar, don't look. It'll ruin everything. You know, I've always imagined that I would have been sorted into Hufflepuff if i were to attend Hogwarts. I'd like to think I would be in Ravenclaw but I don't think I'm clever enough and I am definitely not brave enough for Gryffindor. Perhaps the sorting hat may have placed me in Slyterin, I do have a very vicious streak in me. I think when Book 7 comes out I will put together a costume and go as a Hufflepuff student. It'll be the last big hurrah any way.

So, I'm re-reading Order and picking up little hints here and there, I hope. So much happened in HBP. I need to concentrate on the stories about Snape to see if there were any indications about why he killed Dumbledore.

NP, I can't believe you did that! I have to say that I have never done that before.

20. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Me either! That's terrible. Now you'll go through the whole book with a knowing smirk on your face.

DH, that's true, what with all that shin kicking! :p I'm kinda the same; I'm not sure if I'd get into Ravenclaw, and no idea if I'm brave enough fo Gryffindor (though I did make a bum go away in the SW line at the Vista...).

I'll be back to talk more about the other stuff later tonight or tomorrow--I'm too tired now.

21. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Appears*

So sad, the book was...

*Sighs*

I can't believe he did that....

*Doesn't feel like blacking stuff out*

Good book all and all though....

22. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    But what about my theory that RAB is Regulus Black? I think it is altogether possible. As I am re-reading Order I think there is a pretty good chance that I am right. After all, he changed his mind a few days before, right? And as they were cleaning out a cabinet they removed a heavy locket. It could be the locket, couldn't it?

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    This consultant woman I met just finished HP & the HBP this weekend and enjoyed it. I can't wait for book 7.

24. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    I've read it now. And it was still good despite being semi-spoiled. :D

That is a good theory, DH.

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I still can't believe you read the last page before you read the body of the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.