main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Potterish talk and Britishy things. (BOOK 6 chat!)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Elensara, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNoc

JediNoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2005
    I think Dumbledore is dead but that his pleading with Snape wasn't for his life but for his death. He was reminding Snape that Snape was honor bound to kill him to keep Snape's own cover if things went that far. The hero usually has to lose a mentor and go it alone to grow, right STAR WARS friends? Also, there has to be a piece of He Who Must Not Be Named's horcrux inside Harry.

Gamewise, I can't get past that &*^%! Blast-ended Skrewt in the Goblet of Fire game on my PSP. That's the final step before fighting off Voldemort. Anybody have a pre-teen they can loan me to get through it for me?!

I'm 'finally' reading The DaVinci Code. Yeah, I know, last person on the planet and all. I was waiting for softcover, honest! I did read Angels & Demons quite awhile ago and liked it a lot.

2. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    Crap, you're right.

When does this next book come out? I need to know right now what happens. Right now.

3. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Lol, this takes me back to July! He's dead. :( I made a black armband out of ribbon at work the next day and wore it for a couple of days (it fell off somewhere). Snape's good though. Tragic, isn't it. I'll have to read it again to remember the reasons, but for some reason I thought that Harry was a corcrux at first, but changed my mind. SR, you should go back and read the blacked-out comments!

4. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    NO! NO! NO! Harry is not a horcrux. You have to fashion one after killing someone and he probably would have made the last one after killing Harry but since he was unable to kill Harry he did not. As I understand it, there are seven. They are:

1. Tom's diary
    2. the ring
    3. Nagini
    4. Hufflepuff's cup
    5. the locket (which I am quite sure was in the Black house - it was the one in the cabinet that they were unable to open - but I think that Mundungus has taken it).
    6. Something of Rowena Ravenclaw's
    7. Something of Godric Griffyndor.

I think he made one out of the trophy he got for "capturing" Hagrid.

Other than that, I agree with most of JN's comments.

I had heard that they were going to try to release the book on 07/07/07 since 7 is a magical number but they just announced that the movie version of OotP is supposed to be out 07/13/07 and it is unlikely that they will release both so near to each other. ES, you have to stay for the summer because you need to be here to watch it with us.

What would be cool is if we all got our books at the same time and just sat together and read together so we can discuss what happens at the end of each chapter but that could take forever depending on how slowly one reads (cough SR cough).

I'm really excited about this next book and the movie. I'm also glad SR is finally on the same page as the rest of us. Yeah SR and congrats.

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Thanks DH
    Yeah I don't think reading together will work for me. You would begin to hate me fast. I also have to have Jim Dale read to me because I love his voice characterizations. I like to read along with him. Now, if you read to me DH you will have to do the voices. Kreature is my favorite.

I don't think Harry is a horcrux either. I also really don't think Dumbledore is dead. Neither does my boss. I can't wait to really find out. And I very positive that whatever the reason Snape is good.

Do we really have to wait until next year for the next book and movie! I can't do it. I just can't.

6. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    I didn't say Harry was a horcrux, I said there's one in him. DH's list certainly makes sense but how then were Voldemort's powers tranferred to Harry? If the snake can have a piece, so can Harry and I'm sticking to it. So there, lol!

7. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    JN actually has a point. I didn't think of it & it doesn't seem logical that Voldemort would actually do it (since he's been out to kill Harry since the first book). But, he did kill someone before getting to Harry -- Lily Potter.

I hope you guys are right about Dumbledore & pretty sure you're right about Snape. I didn't expect him to turn out to be the prince either.

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I still don't think that Harry has a horcrux in him. I think when Lily's love protected him most of the magic bounced back on Voldy and some of it just sort of slipped through. I had heard that it was not logical to put a horcrux in a living creature because if that creature died you would be out of luck. I had heard that Nagini was made a horcrux because Voldy needed something handy and she was there. I think it takes time and preparation to make a horcrux. It would only make sense if he put a horcrux in Harry after killing Lily but then why would he kill him? I believe even Dumbledore says that Voldy was planning to make the last horcrux after he killed Harry. He could not have possibly anticipated Harry living so I doubt he would have made a temporary horcrux. I get most of these theories from Mugglecast and Pottercast.

I think Dumbledore is dead. I used to think that he was a phoenix and rose again in the flames but I'm not sure. After all, it would explain how he was able to escape from those trying to capture him. The other reason I think Dumbledore is dead is because of his portrait on the Headmaster's office wall. I don't believe you can appear as a portrait like that if you are alive.

I also believe that Snape is good. I don't believe that Dumbledore would have trusted him with so many important tasks if he was not good. I think Snape will save Harry and die in the process.

Did anyone hear that Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) is lobbying JK to try to get Lucius freed from Azkaban so he can be in the seventh movie? I thought that was pretty funny.

SR, I used to read the HP stories to my padawan and Mr. DH as their bedtime stories. I tried to do some voices but I wasn't that good. Plus, my voice would start crack when the really sad parts happened. I started to tear up again when I read about my dear Ced. I guess the other problem with my voices is I did them before the movies so now that I've seen the movies I feel like I need to make mine sound like the movie versions. Kreature is evil. I could probably do Mrs. Black's voice but I would have to leave out any potential expletives.

9. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Darn good point. Darn.

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I don't know if I posted this on another thread or if I just told everyone but HP and the OotP movie is supposed to hit the theatres on 07/13/07. ES needs to stay in town so we can see it together.

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    My favorite Potter Podcast, MuggleCast, is up for a Podcast award, the People's Choice Award. The ceremony is going to be held sometime in late September so they (and PotterCast members) will be coming out to do a live podcast. I hope to see them because they are funny and I like listening to them and it would be cool to meet them. I don't know where or when yet but it's still cool.

12. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    You'd better take pictures if you go! I've never downloaded a podcast...maybe I should start. I fear for my harddrive though...it fills up quickly enough as it is, even though I've stopped dl'ing TDS episodes!

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    My padawan has finally read HBP. We had to wait for the paperback to come out as I don't let people (even family) read my copy (CBM and CB have already told me I'm weird for that). I think we'll have to buy two copies of the last one so we can read it together.

The OotP movie comes out in July. I need ES to fly back out to watch it with us.

14. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    YES, ES MUST come back to CA to watch OOTP with us! This is not an option!

DH, I listen to MuggleCast too, though not on a regular basis. I used to listen at work but the phone doesn't stop ringing long enough for me to listen anymore.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JN,

The Leaky Mug (MuggleCast and PotterCast combined) are going to be at the Borders in Westwood on September 28th. I'm planning on going right now, barring any difficulties. I hope to get there early so I can secure a good seat. I'll be wearing my MuggleCast shirt.

16. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    You're right, it's not an option. :( I mean, unless I get a kick-ass job that not only *pays*, but lets me take off whenever I want, it ain't happening (there's already C4 and andertrip around then).
    :( :(

17. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    DH, looks like we'll be seeing HPV in MN! If ES can't come to us...

Um, ES, do I want to know where andertrip is to?

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    New York? ;)

Yeah, come here! (Haha, yeaaah, right.)

19. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    Phooey! Another thing on Thursday!! Oh well.

20. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    Hey DH, I might be doing the Westwood thingy too! Just waiting to see what my work flow looks like as I've been taking too much time off lately.

ES, I'm pretty sure I'll be in your area next Tuesday night, somewhere called The St. Paul hotel for another (sorta) work project so you never know, we just might show up for HPV. You're not THAT far, hehe!

21. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    What?! Yea, give me a call!! I don't know where the St. Paul hotel is, but I go to school in St. Paul, near downtown (where I assume the hotel would be) and get out at 8:20 on Tuesday night.

Are you saying "once the road is paved, (coming out again would be easier)" that sort of thing? :)

EDIT: The St. Paul Hotel *whistles* Swanky. PBS is putting you up here?

22. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    Next year in July I'll be in London for a Harry Potter convention called Sectus...(I still need to get my registration).

Ron & Hermione will live. You don't weave a love story through 6 books so far to kill them at the end. If she was going to do that, we would have gotten a kiss at the end of book 6 (so book 7 can start really high and end tragically).

Harry - He is most likely a horeacrux. The whole being able to see into Voldemort's head and such. Dumbledore even said 'he left some of himself in you that night'. I don't think Harry will die, but he will pull a frodo. Kill voldemort then walk through the viel 'death the next great adventure'. He won't have anything to live for at this point.

Neville will fight Bellatrix and spare her life, which will provide a nice dicodemy. Harry can't spare Voldemort. Ginny will get killed, as that will be the final straw that pushes Harry over the edge. That last push that in the moment will make him capable of killing voldemort.

Snape is good. He's worst memory is that he called Lily a Mudblood when he is a mudblood himself and takes pride in such (the half blood prince). I believe he will live, because death would be to easy for him. He's character is all about guilt, and no one can punish him better then he is doing to himself.

-Anneke

23. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JN, I wish I could go see OotP in MN with you and ES but I'm going to be going to England the next month and won't be able to afford both. I think we need to start taking a collection to pay for ES's ticket here for the movie. I'd put her up at my house but my upstairs gets really hot in the summer time. Otherwise I suppose I could bring a bed downstairs and she can sleep there.

Oh, and if you come to Borders let me know, I'll save you a seat. I plan to get there early so I can sit close to the front. I'll be wearing my MuggleCast shirt.

24. JediNoc

Aug 9, 2005
    OK, starting the 'Bring ES to LA for HPV' fund now. I have a floor she can sleep on. Not the most comfortable but it is carpeted. Your place sounds better, DH, heat and all.

ES, I'm not going to MN for PBS stuff. I'm actually going to see a play at the Ordway. It's Tuesday night at 8 PM I think. Get this: The St. Paul was FULL! At those prices and on a Tuesday night! So I'm staying at the... Crowne something something at 11 or 111 Kellogg. The woman who answered the phone mumbled off about six names for the place! Ritzy town.

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, I'll start clearing an area now in anticipation. If everyone chips in a couple of dollars between now and then we should be able to bring ES out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.