main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Potterish talk and Britishy things. (BOOK 6 chat!)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Elensara, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I want to catch up on some of your comments, DH. I don't think the one they cast for Bill will be as hot as he's supposed to be. The best hot thing about him was when Lupin said he might be more wolfish now (or something). And re:eek:liver Wood? He has a Vulcan ear, ha! Sean Biggerstaff (haha). He is kind of cute though, and he's Oliver Wood, so that's cool. BTW, I think he's more like 20, if that makes a difference for ya. :)

Anyone read the Entertainment Weekly article w/HP on the front? It has some cool pics from the GoF movie (Nov. 18, woo!) It also has some amusing things from book 6, including a "hookin' up" flowchart and for/against arguments thingie regarding Snape's current affiliations.
    After my initial shock from reading the book, I'm now strongly convinced he's still good. The EW article helped a teeny bit, but I'd already thought about it and talked with a friend about it, so...roight. I'd say I'm 90% sure. Oh, C, both my friend and EW said they thought R.A.B. was Regulus Black also. I dunno why I don't remember these things like you guys, maybe I should re-read the books a couple more times or something.

They're going to start filming OotP around December or so. EW says so far only Daniel Radcliffe has signed on (but not to worry, it's still far off).

Hey DH, *do* you think Dumbledore could still be alive? I mean, he did certainly die, right?? His charm on Harry lifted, and he seemed pretty dead. Also, only Harry's ever survived the killing curse (thought Dumbledore himself could have a "love protection" thing--he sure knows a lot about that kind of magic/protection). But anyway, he could well be a phoenix animangus or something. Also, we never see him dead after that night--at the funeral, he's all wrapped-up, it could technically be anyone or a fake body Hagrid's carrying.....but then, if he somehow came back to life, would his portrait still have shown up in the headmaster's office? At any rate, if he has come back, no one knows (except maybe Fawkes or something).
    My instincts are to think he's gone, especially in light of all these "what if"s about Sirius and yet he's gone, but I'm just hypothesizing.

I almost told my sister who the half-blood Prince was when I was talking about the book on the phone and she came in the room, me forgetting that she STILL hasn't finished. Luckily, she wasn't listening closely and ran out of the room when she realized what I was talking about. She's on ch. 21 or something. Hurry up!

2. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    ES, your post made me laugh. Wood's relative age is still a problem. I'm old enough to be his mother.

I agree that Snape is probably good, despite his killing Dumbledore. I think Dumbledore knew it was going to come to that and so he and Snape had it somewhat planned. Snape wanted details so he could warn Dumbledore and work out the details of how they were going to pull it off. I think perhaps despite the fact that Dumbledore was supposed to be dead perhaps Snape did a non-verbal spell while saying another. Most think he is dead though. I was wondering about the phoenix like "end" he met during the funeral and how it is possible that Fawkes transfered some phoenix qualities through his song so when Dumbledore burst into flames then he was reborn. Maybe that's why the white tomb appeared, to cover his rebirth. Any way, Dumbledore would not have been so insistent if Snape was not really good. Besides, I think Snape's excuse for keeping Harry alive for Voldemort was Snape's way of keeping Harry alive.

3. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I'm re-reading the book now (and wishing I'd started over, really) and am on Ch. 3. It's interesting reading (Ch. 2 especially) now that I know what's going on. Nothing else really to say about that, I guess.

Look what I found! :)
    [image=http://www.karlskogabio.nu/posters/Harry%20Potter%20and%20the%20Goblet%20of%20Fire_ver2.jpg]

4. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Cool poster, ES! I can't wait for it to come out!

5. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, so since I was sick this weekend I spent practically the whole time reading HP. I finally finished Order again and re-read Half-Blood Prince and also the Sorcerer's Stone and am about half way through Chamber. I found it amusing that Harry had a suspicion that Snape could read minds in both Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber. I also found it funny that Voldemort did not "join" onto Quirrell until after Harry met him at the Leaky Caldron so that's why they were able to shake hands at that point but not later. Of course in the movie they intimated that Voldemort and Quirrell were joined before that point. I also found it funny that most of Ron's dialogue in Hagrid's hut about the definition of a Mudblood was given to Hagrid in the movie.

Back to HBP, is it funny to anyone else that Harry is unwilling to put Ginny's life on the line because everyone he cares for ends up dying to protect him and yet he does not tell Ron and Hermione, who also care for Harry, not to come. He's willing to risk their lives and not Ginny's. Is that odd to anyone else? I also noticed that Harry "imagined", or something like that, that he saw a phoenix fly away from the flames of Dumbledore's tomb. Is this another indication that Dumbledore may be a phoenix? A co-worker of mine thinks that Fawkes is a horcrux for Dumbledore's soul. I find it difficult to believe as to tear a soul seems like something Dumbledore is unwilling to do, too evil and all that.

6. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    So I read this month's Disney Adventures and they showed pictures of Viktor Krum, Cho Chang, and Cedric Diggory. Boy, am I disappointed with the guy they chose to play Cedric. He's too much of a pretty boy, not nearly as handsome as I would expect Cedric to be. He doesn't look as confident as I would expect Cedric to be either. Still, I CAN'T WAIT!

7. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    I haven't seen pics of those characters, but Fleur isn't really "Fleur-ish" either. Rita Skeeter looks pretty accurate though. How come JR edited your 2nd-to-last post?

Maybe he doesn't tell Ron and Hermione not to come 'cause he cares about them more...? Because they're his friends and want to come rather than him being selfish and bringing a girlfriend into the mix? Dunno. I still haven't re-read most of the book, but you wondering if Dumbledore is a phoenix is a lot more plausible than Fawkes being a horcrux. I highly doubt Dumbledore would ever do that--he wasn't trying to attain immortality or have an "insurance policy" in case he was killed. He wasn't afraid of going.

Those things are amusing, especially the Snape reading minds thing!

8. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I had asked JR to edit my previous post because I was afraid people might be spoiled. I'll try to find a picture of Cedric to post.

9. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey, have you seen The Island yet? Not only that, but now there's *another* Ewan movie out that I have to see, Valiant. It's a cgi-animated (the 1st from the UK) movie about World War II messenger pigeons. No hotness, but sounds cute.

And this isn't quite Hasketting the thread, as it's my thread and we're the only ones talking (so there, JR)!

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Rita is Natasha Richardson, right? If no then I forgot who it was. I can't wait for that to come out. I need to make sure my padawan is all set to see it that first night. I don't think I've seen a picture of Fleur yet. I'm up to the Dark Mark part in Goblet. I want to refresh my memory a bit on that story. I heard they did not pick a really cute guy for Bill so I hope they got a cute guy for Charlie.

Technically it's okay to talk about "Valiant" because Ewan is in it and he falls under the "Britishy things" part of the topic. I haven't seen it yet and it did not do well in the box office this weekend. I spent part of the weekend trying to talk my padawan into wanting to see it with me. Those kinds of movies seem to be too juvenile for my padawan right now. I guess we all go through a phase where those kinds of movies don't interest us then we come around again. And yes, I did see "The Island" and I liked it a lot. He was so mega HOT in it. I loved the whole discussion about the accents. I can't wait for the DVD because I'll definitely get it. Who knows, maybe the "What's that" scene will make it there.

11. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I couldn't care less about Britishy things, so there ES.. Post whatever you want.

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I was having problems with uploading pics on the LAFF site. Don't know why. Any way, hopefully this will work.

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album21/goblet1.jpg]
    This is Cho Chang. I think she'll work.

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album21/goblet2.jpg]
    This is Cedric looking like a pansy pretty boy.

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album21/goblet_5.jpg]
    This is Ced looking much tougher and cooler.

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album21/goblet3.jpg]
    I can see this Viktor waddling.

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album21/goblet_6.jpg]
    I would never make fun of this one for waddling.

I tried to get a pic of Fleur uploaded but for some reason I can't upload right now.

I wanna go see GOF in school robes. Anyone else wanna go in costume also? I was thinking of Hufflepuff because I don't believe I'm brave enough for Griffyndor or clever enough for Ravenclaw. I may be evil enough for Slytherin though.

13. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I would love to go in costume. I think there are a lot of LUN people that would too. Maybe a group effort there.

Also I would like to add that those pictures would be worthy of "For Elensara" thread.

14. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, let's go in costume! It'll be fun. Do you really think that they deserve to be in the ES thread? They are too young in my opinion.

15. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't know if they are 18 or not. You're right, I didn't even think about it. Sometimes I think I'm still under 18.

16. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I think most are over 18. I know Katie, who plays Cho, is under 18. I am now thinking of going as a Ravenclaw because I can't find a sweater in Hufflepuff colors. I'm also searching for pictures of Hogwarts girls in uniforms so I can get an idea of what they are wearing. All I ever see are long robes or casual clothes.

17. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    But I see you as a Hufflepuff. What do you see me as?

18. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    1st Cedric pic= :( The second is very Smallville-y (which is funny!). I agree about him not being Cedric-y (i.e. handsome) enough. Ah well.

I'd love to go in costume! I don't have a sewing machine though, so I dunno if I can.

I posted somewhere else about their ages too. Rupert Grint just turned (or will in a day or so) 17, so they're getting there. I don't know when the other two turn 17...I think it's still several months away. On the plus side (to feel less creepy), 16 is age of consent (I think they call it "majority") in the UK, AND, if you go by the books' timeline, the kids in Harry's year were born in 1980, so they're all really 25 now. ;)

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Rupert's birthday was yesterday. I think he's 17 now. I bought a sweater, tie, and scarf for Ravenclaw and will go as an older, fatter, and uglier Cho. I was going to make my robe but I figured it was cheaper to buy one. I found a site that looks like they make really nice robes. I am going to make my skirt but I will have to buy Mary Janes. I already have black tights. There is a difference between the uniforms of the first two movies and these next two so I've decided to go with these new ones. It'll be fun. I figure I can wear it to work on Halloween and no one will know the difference (except that I usually don't wear white after Labor Day). Oh well.

20. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    okay, here's my somewhat spoiler filled thougts on the book

I suppose R.A.B. could be who you thought it was, but didn't they say he only lasted two days after he defected?
    I don't really care who hook up with who, but you know it's gonna be Ron/Hermione and Harry/Ginny eventually.
    I haven't read the book again yet, but didn't they say that the book was too old to be Harry's fathers? Then how could it have been Snape's?
    I think Snape is a bad guy. Too many signs point to it. Why would he make the unbreakable vow? He knew he would die if he didn't help.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    CBM, you are going to have to learn to highlight in black so you don't spoil it for others (says the person who accidentally "changed" the font color to black instead of the highlight - lame-o).

I agree that the book is too old to be Snape's. 50 years would put it in Voldemort's time period, right? After all, they said the chamber was opened 50 years ago, right? Perhaps Mr. Snape did not make much money and he had to use second hand books. After all, Snape did not launder his clothes very often (or did so poorly) as his underwear was on the grey side when he was suspended upside down by Sirius and James. Of course maybe he wore grey underwear.

I've been listening to Mugglecast, a podcast for Harry Potter and they said that someone would have had to have helped Regulus when he got the locket. It is unlikely that he did it himself and even more unlikely that he put it in himself especially since the magic had all the earmarks of Tom Riddle's magic (that's what Dumbledore said). So, who helped Regulus and did this person betray Regulus later? If so, is that why he died so quickly after leaving Voldemort's side? Someone said maybe Regulus is Crookshanks but I don't believe it.

Personally, I don't mind that those people hooked up. I thought they made nice couples any way. Ron's like Hermione forever and she's liked him longer. Ginny's pined for Harry almost since the start.

I still think Snape is good. Hagrid overheard Snape and Dumbledore arguing and I think it was to make sure Snape would follow through and kill him if necessary. I don't remember if it was before the unbreakable vow or not. I'm going to have to re-read it.

I also heard, through MuggleCast, that more than one horcrux is mentioned in Order so when I'm done with Goblet I will have to re-read Order again.

There's a website where they say Dumbledore is not dead and state various reason to support this thought. I think since the portrait appeared at the Headmaster's office he has to be dead. There is a possibility that Snape performed a non-verbal spell that made it look like Dumbledore died but I doubt it. I think when Dumbledore was saying please he was trying to get Snape to just get it over with and kill him.

By the way, I got my Ravenclaw tie yesterday via owl post. I got a Gryffindor one also. It was so cute! It actually arrived wrapped in thin brown paper tied with twine. This was all inserted into an overnight type of envelope. Great service. I need to go out and make a skirt and find a pair of Mary Janes and buy a white oxford shirt. I think I will wear it to work on Halloween to see if anyone notices.

22. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    I know how to black it out, people shouldn't be reading this thread unless they've finished the book.
    You people really need to get over the whole, 'maybe this person is that animal' thing. She doesn't seem to use gimmicks twice.
    And on an unrelated note, I don't like apparating, and the curse that makes people do whatever you want. They are sort of cop-outs, Anyone can say they were under a curse that made them do something, and she (JKR) can just use it when ever it's convienient. Same with apparating, why don't they just pop in & out of everywhere they want to go?

23. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    On the note of "this person is that animal," I was reading some of book 6 on the plane and it occurred to me that Mundungus Fletcher is Crookshanks(!). Creepy. I like Crookshanks, but Mundungus going around as him, getting scritched by Hermione and stuff, that's just creepy. OK, this description of Mundungus was what made me think this: "The squat, bandy-legged man with long, straggly, ginger hair..." (pg. 245) Crookshanks is always described as ginger, bandy-legged, or both. So yeah, that's my new theory.

24. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah, soooo not true. Crookshanks is half kneazle or whatever? You would have to be a pretty good anumagus to change into a hybrid animal. And that would cancel out Crookshanks 'bad guy' sense thingy, why would Mundungus want to hurt Peter Pettigrew?

Damn you everyone is an animagus people!

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I don't think Mundungus is Crookshanks either. Dung is all for himself and Crookshanks is helpful.

I'm waiting for the robes people to get back to me about being made to individual measurements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.