main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Potterish talk and Britishy things. (BOOK 6 chat!)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Elensara, Jul 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I put all 5 Star Wars DVD's into my DVD changer and watched them on random for a while. I don't recommend doing that if you're sober.

2. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    That would seem fun for a while.

3. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Hahaha, CBM. So what order did it put them in?

SR...hope you weren't spoiled too badly. :/ (silly silly man)

4. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, read the book first. It's so much better that way.

5. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I started last night. Chapter 1 down.

6. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    I think over Winter break my challenge will be to either read Harry Potter all the way through, or Chronicles of Narnia. Not sure which one I'll do.
    Maybe I can be convinced...

7. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    SR, remember, I expect a book report on Wednesday.

APL, read HP first because I think the movie comes out before the L,W, and the W (which looks awesome). I hope they do more of those books. But if they do, I hope they someday do "The Magician's Nephew" so people can see why the wardrobe has magical qualities.

I am really enjoying MuggleCast and PotterCast. I wish I could go to New York for their live podcast.

8. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Does anyone have a good condition Harry Potter 4 poster, from Comic-Con they don't want. I have a die hard fan who loves loves it! Mine got slightly wrinkled from CC. I would like to give her a better one.

Would recipricate with a high quality drink...etc.

9. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    You guys got GoF posters at ComiCon?!? I totally want it WAY more than Marshall's friend.

10. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Have you seen the new poster with the three mains and the champions? There's a new one with Ron in his dress robes. That would be funny to wear for Halloween. I think I also saw one where Harry is reaching for something. This is going to be so cool. I wish I could see it with you, ES.

11. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Don't wish, make it happen. :) :) :)

I BRIEFLY saw the one with Harry reaching for something...at a bus shelter at school, but I was in the AET shuttle and couldn't go take a closer look. It was exciting. I almost forgot about that! I'll have to check it out on Monday (after my chem test, ick). Where have you seen those other ones?

12. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I saw the Ron one at a bus shelter in Pasadena and the one with the champions I think was on the way home from either work or from my padawan's school, I don't remember which it was.

13. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Okay, the one with the champions is on my way home from work. It's on Main Street by the CalTrans Building.

I'm almost finished with my robe. Now I have to make my skirt and find an oxford and mary janes.

14. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm all in Harry Potter mode now. I spent three hours yesterday reading from OotP. I'm going to get confused. It has been a year and a half since I read GoF and I know I've forgotten a few things. So I'll end up watching the movie for one while reading another and I'm still behind on the books. As soon as I finish reading OotP I'll get myself HBP.

Book Report for DH
    So far I'm on chapter 10 and they have yet to get to Hogwarts. I found it unusual that JK spent so much more time this time with the Dursley's. I also don't know why poor Harry is always kept in the dark about things. He is always the last to know everything especially when they have to do with himself. I would also be angry as he was. I found it great that Ron was picked as prefect because it allows him a chance to be noticed instead of always being Harry's shadow. Harry shouldn't be jealous for his friend because Harry will always be the famous Harry Potter.

15. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks, though I expected more. You find out later why Harry is so whiny and why he is always out of the loop. After a couple of reads, I think it's easier to deal with his whininess.

16. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    I'm sorry teacher, I'll try and do better. Maybe tonight I can get farther along. When you say you expected more did you mean you expected me to have read more or to elaborate on what I had read more?

Luke is also whiny. There is your book report. Why are heros often whiny? Does it make a better story if you start out with someone who is ordinary and put them in extrodinary situation and have them overcome great challenges?

17. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I guess I expected you to elaborate more. I'm sorry to be so picky.

18. Skyryder

Apr 13, 2004
    Hey I'm at work. It was the best I could do at the time.

19. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    LUKE IS NOT WHINY. Dammit. Look at freakin' Han, he bitches way more often. Plus, there's Anakin.

I would've expected you to have read more. It's been like two weeks that you've had the book, right? Only 10 chapters? Tsk, tsk.
    I like the dementors in the alley part, and the aftermath at the Dursleys'.

20. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Luke is whiny. As is Anakin. It must run in the family.

21. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    "But I was going to go to Tochi Station to pick up some power converters!" <-------- Whiny.

22. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    Yeah, and that's the only line ANYONE ever sites as evidence. Don't you guys remember when you didn't have the freedom to go where you wanted when you wanted? If you'd already made plans, possibly put money towards something then someone basically gave you the finger by not letting you go, would you say...nothing? I think he was pretty restrained, compared to the complaining most of us would do in similar situations. Sorry, come up with a better argument.

23. JediBith

JediBith Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2001
    It's not even WHAT he said, but that WHINY TONE in his voice, when he said it! :D It grates! No matter how old one is, whiny is whiny. And I think Lucas made him that way on purpose, so that his character could grow. No growth=bad characterization on part of author. Just sayin'!

24. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    He's got plenty more whiny lines. Almost everything he says at the homestead was whiny, plus all th whining about how his mentor is died, and how they had to save the princess. And it's not like he was 15. He was 19 or 20 in that movie.

25. Elensara

Apr 2, 2002
    All right, JB, at least you're able to elaborate, so...ok. But CBM, what whining about his mentor dying? Saying, "I wish I'd known him"? That's not whining. The princess thing is more like eagerness/earnestness than *whining*. If it was whining, it'd be more like, "Why don't you *want* to save her? Come onnnnnnnnnnn. But I want to!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.