main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Power Lust : Sequel!!!!! Lust For Revenge is back!!! part 14/20(L/V/Le/H/Mara ;P) pg

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by SJade, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJade

SJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey oh...? (SJ's voice echoes like Luke's in the temple of the Sun on Sacorria) anyone here? (SJ crossing her fingers to not stumble on Vader, but on someone else...) Ouh ouh?..

Oh, well, I guess I'll still leave something here.

I hope you'll have fun once again.

(...)Mara was lying in a lone bed, not sleeping, aching for Luke's presence near her but with all her will forcing her body to lay still, and her breath to come out calmly and regularly. Go to him, cried her body. Go to him, make him forgive you, force him back into your arms, you can do it!

Yes, I can, she thought in response, and that's exactly why I can't do it.

He was right. She had killed innocents, not Vader.

Not her target.

Or at least not physically, but she was destroying him in every other way that she could, even through his children, who were currently feeling the effects of her actions against the father. Yes, it was satisfying, it justified the actions that she had to take against the dark-clad traitor.

It was justified.

According to their spy on Bespin, Vader would be in transition to Balti for the next four days. They would strike both Coruscant and Bespin during that time... and the populace would kill Vader for her.

And then, she would be at peace.

Then all the cost will be justified, when the mob would tear the traitor apart, limb by limb.

She was imagining the scene, like she did hundreds times, but Luke's choked, unbelieving face always appeared before her inner sight.

He will understand, she tried to reassure herself. In time, he will understand; he will see what a monster was his father, he will understand that I had no choice.

?He will understand and we will be together?, she continued more determinate. Right now, he simply needed some time alone, but he woul understand...

Gradually she relaxed, and slipped into sleep while thinking about them being together.

But then, her dream changed.

TBC

Love
    SJ

2. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    There seems to not be much hope for Mara.
    Luke should get away from her, before he is next in line after Vader. When it comes to the people attention that he was with her, who really did all the murders and did nothing, then he will be accused of stepping in the Sith's shoes.

Vadey

3. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hello Vadey :) Great to see you again!

There seems to not be much hope for Mara.
    Hmmm, we'll see :)

Luke should get away from her, before he is next in line after Vader. When it comes to the people attention that he was with her, who really did all the murders and did nothing, then he will be accused of stepping in the Sith's shoes.
    Well, that could certainly be one of their reaction, but I must admit that Tatiana hasn't allowed us to venture that far yet into what comes next; we're still dealing with Vader's reaction to what's to come :)

But back to 'this' post, how about checking on Mara ;P

Thanks for dropping by once again; I'm glad to see that your interest still pricks at your curiosity about this story of ours :)

HOpe your fun continues!

(...)

She was in her office; the day of the attack on Coruscant had finally come.

She watched with rapture the images of the holovid as it relayed holos of the ruins that she had just created on the surface, the destruction, the crying people/victims of her attack. She smiled sweetly, savoring the hatred that was directed at Vader in the commentator?s voice----- when an invisible, strong hand suddenly gripped her and pulled her forward until she fell ?into? the holovid screen.

Gasping in pain, she brought her hand to her chest--- and suddenly saw the surface of Coruscant... as well as the destruction that she had once again wrought on a Republic installation. Unlike the holovid images though, she did not see only ruins and smoking remains.

Instead, she saw and felt the 'pain' that she had just inflicted upon first her victims, then their families... then to her continued horror, she saw how her hatred was not only hurting her victims but also her very spirit, making her rot from the inside until there would be nothing left...

Before she could throw up in aversion and thorough disgust at the sight of where her cruelty was leading her, she forcefully freed her mind from this horrifying vision.

No!!!!!, was her first, conscious thought even as she jumped to her feet, at her office, no!. She had to stop it! She had to contact her team and---

As if to mock her own attempt to fix her new, unforgivable mistake, the news vid came alive once again, confirming that 'she' had just killed another six hundred or so people in order to get to her sole target, the man against whom she had a grief.

?I have to change it,? she thought frantically, ?I have to!?

She ran out of her office, firstly not noticing that something about
    her wasn't right...

Then she suddenly became aware that just outside of her office, there was a large place, filled with people.

Friends and parents of her victims, she realized in horror.

The place was somehow familiar too...

When the mob encircled her, she suddenly understood.

It was Balti; the main place before the governor?s palace.

Without warning, a man so filled with grief that even being near him was painful, suddenly shot at her. She felt a dimmed pain, unbelievingly looked at her body ? and saw black armor.

It was the same scene she had envisioned so many times, she realized.

An enraged mob tearing Vader apart--- Tearing ?her? apart for she had become Vader, and now she had to die.

Another shot came, she fell to her knees.

No, no, no... No!

;P

Tbc :)

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

4. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Em? What to say about that? Nightmare in living daylight?

How long will it and her need to stop the terror hold?

Vadey

5. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hmm, nightmare, yes, but also a little help from the Force and someone who cares as much about Mara as Luke does :)

As for how long it will last, the answer's coming in the next post... I think ;P

Thanks for sharing your thoughts back with us; we're both very glad that you enjoy this story so much :)

Love
    SJ

6. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Boy, I feel for both Luke and Mara. Luke's indeed getting hurt by those he cares about, but at least Leia might understand. I wonder if the Force is indeed answering him by showing Mara what could happen if she goes through with her plans.

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

7. pat_skywalker39

pat_skywalker39 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2004
  8. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey Tych, Pat :) Sorry about the late reply, I'm just trying to dose out the posts in here with the delays of delivery for part 15...

Tych: Yeah, Luke will have a few issues to deal with sooner or later ;) As for the Force answering his prayer... I think it does, yes :)

Pat: Hello! And up we go!

Disclaimers and thanks, see first post of part 1

(...)

She woke up with a cry, bathed in sweet.

Looked around.

She was alone in the darkened room and she was alive.

And Coruscant's attack hadn?t taken place yet. While relief flowed through her, spasms of tears shook her.

Not yet, not ever. She could still stop the madness, she ?would? stop it. It must couldn?t be allowed to happen.

Her plan had been simple, she reminded herself: turn the galaxy against Vader, get him, kill him. It had been easy, the only way that she had had at her disposal to beat Vader at his own game of invicibility. It had been a perfect plan, an infallible, flawless, not too costly plan... but she had never considered its living price in the equation, nor how it would affect her.

In fact, she had never, ever taken into account the number of lives that her troops, and herself, would remove in order to achieve their goal, nor the fact that 'she' too could fall victim to her own dark feelings...

She had never considered that the Republicans that she had targeted had been human beings, not droids... That they had been as alive as she was...

As her lover and Jedi teacher was.

She had never adapted her plan so that she would only hit the monster who deserved to die, a monster that she only kept alive with her current actions, and even strengthened, but in herself

By the Force what had she done?, she soundlessly whimpered. She had turned herself into a monster...

Into a new Vader.

Into the creature that she still hated, not only for what he had done to her life, but also for the pain that he had caused to countless souls... Luke's included.

As had she.

What had she done?.., she whimpered as fresh tears of guilt broke free from her eyes and slid down her cheeks. How had she reached this point in time, where she had completely lost track of her initial goals?..

Where she had killed innocents, not only outlaws, and certainly not her target...

Were the Emperor alive, she suddenly scolded herself viciously, he'd punish her most severely for this unforgivable blunder. Of course, he would not mind about the people, only the lost resources, but still, she rebuked herself, he would not be happy.

She was a monster... and she wanted to die...

TBC soon :)

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

9. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    This had better be continued soon! You can't leave us hanging like that, though it's nice to see Mara show some remorse.

Now instead of crying about it, do something to stop more innocents from dying!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

10. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Right now, Mara is emotionally very instable.
    This could be dangerous, too.

Vadey

11. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey Tych and Vadey :)

Glad to see that you both loved Mara's latest treatment ;P Yup, she's unstable at the moment, but don't worry, the Force knows what it's doing to her ;P You'll see... Sunday, when I get back from my parents' place.

By the way, if you guys can rouse Tatiana, it would be great too! She's holding part 15, which is coming right after the end of part 14 ;P

HAve a great week-end everyone! And Thanks again for sharing your reactions back with us; it's great to see that the characterizations and situations of the story make you react ;P

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

12. pat_skywalker39

Jan 5, 2004
    I just love your story so continue the good work!

13. pat_skywalker39

Jan 5, 2004
    I'll try mixing Harry Potter and the Fan Fiction Board together but please don't be cruel

Wingardium LeviosUP!

14. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hello Pat :)

Nice to meet you; sorry about the long reply, DRL had me this week... and Tatiana is still hard to get in touch with so...

Anyway, here is more, hope your fun continues :)

As usual, disclaimers and thanks on the first post :)

(...)*Luke,* the deep, familiar voice called in the darkness of Luke's sleep.

*Go away, I didn't decide yet!* almost cried the young man. Then he
    realized that maybe, just maybe it was the response of the Force for
    his plea.

After all, he reflected drowsily, his father 'was' its Chosen One... The one of darkness, he then reminded himself meaningfully, but still his Chosen one.

He decided to respond.

*Father,* he sent in answer through the Force---- and suddenly materialized in a room that greatly reminded him of...

Of the Temple of the Sun on Sacorria, where they had forged their truce, he identified. The dark form stood in the middle of the hall.

Vader saw him and stepped nearer.

"Don't come any closer, Father," he instantly warned him as he had upon their first meeting.

"Luke, it's me," said the deep voice.

I know, the young Jedi thought glumly, that was the problem. As he thought so, he dimly felt a careful probe of his mind. He strengthened his shields.

No, he warned his father silently, he would not be able to gather any information from him, let alone influence him anymore.

"What do you want?" he instead asked him out loud. "Why are you seeking me out this way again? Why today of all days?" he continued resentfully. "Did you feel that I was broken and tired, and hesitating - and came to push me to the right side? I'm sure you did," he finally accused him.

"I am looking for you, Son," the older man placated him gently, refuting all his accusations with a feeling of care directed at him. "I am 'always' looking for you. I have left Yavin 4 as soon as I could and have been scouring the galaxy for you ever since."

"As soon as you could, sure," Luke retorted, his resent still coloring his voice as his memories of the previous months haunted him once again. "You didn't even came to free me yourself. Even in sleep you didn't contact me after that first time. I'm not that important to you, am I?" he finally challenged him. "Then what am I to you, Vader?"

In front of him, the dark lord's image slightly fluttered upon hearing his words. "Why do you doubt my love for you, son?" he asked him, and Luke had the strange feeling that the other had really been shocked by his accusation.

"I don't doubt that you think it's love," Luke retorted with a shake of his head, "but I doubt that what you call love... really is love. I...," he hesitated as he avoided his father's invisible gaze, then dadred meet his hidden eyes once again. "I think that you are only experiencing 'a mad desire of possession', as you so adequately put about your relationship with Mother. Remember? You once told me yourself you don't know the difference between the two emotions. So, I don't think that you love me, Vader," Luke placated more meanly than he meant to. "You might think that you do, but you don't. You're only using me in some obscure way that is not clear to me, yet... I know that you are, and now that I'm not with you anymore, you just want to ----"

"Luke," Vader began---- then suddenly materialized right in front of him.

Before the youth could react, he was ensconced in the circle of his father's arms.

"Luke," the dark lord said again in an almost pleading voice, "please, think. Jade has obviously scrambled your thoughts and feelings, Son. I'm not lying about how I feel about you. See it for yourself if you must; scan me, I'm opened."

Caught unprepared by his father's actions, Luke hesitated for a moment. Vader really opened his shields - as far as he could tell. But really, how much could he tell? Vader was much more expert on shielding that he ever will be. His father wasn't lying, but was he telling all the truth?

In the end, he accepted his offer of opening and scanned him. "I can tell you missed me," he finally agree

15. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    The question of Vader about Luke's whereabouts was idiotic at that point. And his subborness to explain or defend himself harmed the relationship between them a great deal.

Luke himself was acting in a doublemoral way, he rejected his father because he used their bond and Luke's feelings to get answers, but only moments later he used the same methode to get his answers from Mara.
    He was even worse, Vader asked, pleaded even for him to talk to him, to answer the questions. Luke himself just took them from the unwilling Mara.

Luke let himself be brainwashed by Mara's view of things. He doesn't realise how far along the way he is to think and act more like Mara's and Vader's old selves.

Thanks for the update, I've begun to miss this story.

Vadey

16. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey Vadey :)

Oh boy, you've really read that part in depth, huh? There are things that you mention below that I for one never really analyzed wehther I was writing the part or reading it from Tatiana's sending... Hmmm, let's see :)

The question of Vader about Luke's whereabouts was idiotic at that point.
    I think Tatiana would disagree about that because Vader is simply driven to find Luke, and his son's hugging him gave him confidence that he too wanted to be found... He does care for him, you know ;P

And his subborness to explain or defend himself harmed the relationship between them a great deal.
    Oh that, they have a lot of mending to do ;P

Luke himself was acting in a doublemoral way,
    Well, he isn't black or white, that's for sure ;)

he rejected his father because he used their bond and Luke's feelings to get answers, but only moments later he used the same methode to get his answers from Mara.

Acutally, it wasn't exactly the same thing... Vader was simply trying to get into his son's head... whether Luke opened himself to her, and their stronger bond did the rest. It is not the same between Father and Son... but their motives were identical in this part, yes.

He was even worse, Vader asked, pleaded even for him to talk to him, to answer the questions. Luke himself just took them from the unwilling Mara.
    Hmmm, he enveloped her with his love, his worry about her fading away from him, whereas Vader didn't open himself up yet asked him to open up in return... At least, I think that's how T envisioned that part of Vader :)

Luke let himself be brainwashed by Mara's view of things. He doesn't realise how far along the way he is to think and act more like Mara's and Vader's old selves.
    Well, he is not the same man anymore, that's true... but he is still driven by his heart, not his will. Still, who he is now remains to be seen (even more since Tatiana has just turned the tables on me by changing where we were headed...)

Thanks for the update, I've begun to miss this story.
    Sorry about the delay, but I'm between a rock and a hard place about those. Either I post them fast, but make you wait for a long time between new chapters... or I try to dose out the posts so that hopefully, there won't be extra delays between the chapters. I'm still waiting for part 15 to be finished by Tatiana at the moment...

Thanks for reading once again, Vadey, and thanks for your opinions :) I must admit that neither of us ever considered those sequences under the angle that you brought up, but you might be right about your perceptions of them... Only time will tell ;P

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

17. Tribun

Tribun Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2003
    Luke is a idiot.

Leia had made pece with her father, Han had made peace with his father-in-law but noooooo Luke now feels as if he had to judge the book Vader, by only looking on it's cover. He not even bothered to look deeper into the person, Vader is.
    Either he loves to hurt his father, or he is really so stupid not to see how he hurts him. And since he had become blind to his feelings, someone other had to *beat* some sense into him!

18. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hmmm, I see that Luke really is rubbing people the wrong way this time... well, he's got issues with his father, it's true ;)

And it's about time that they deal with it :) And, it doesn't mean that he is right either... but if you were in Tatiana's mind, you'd know that Vader might be slightly wrong too... ;) We'll just have to wait and see how they'll deal with this in time ;)

Thanks for your interest, Tribun, and nice to meet you on this board!

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

19. Tatiana

Tatiana Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2002
    Hi! I'm SJ's co-writer :)

>The question of Vader about Luke's whereabouts was idiotic at that point. And his subborness to explain or defend himself harmed the relationship between them a great deal.

Idiotic? :) No, don't think so. Look at it. He is worried, very much so. And he doesn't want to believe that Luke is betraying him, he *wants* to believe that Luke cares for him - so when Luke seemed to soften himself, Vader jumped to the conclusion that everything is alright again, that Luke saw his point. Thus the question. He didn't try to read Luke further - Luke was shielding, and trying to break through could be considered as war declaration.
    Basicly, Vader just read into Luke's reaction what he desperately wanted to see. And I *mean* desperately, because Han noticed this desperation - you'll see it further.
    Yes, Vader has a great fault - he *doesn't* explain himself. To anyone. Vader hates to justify his actions. But in Luke's case, he honestly doesn't see *what* he has to explain, and why. He *is* telling the truth, he doesn't have any hidden agenda with Luke, and if Luke had *asked* him, why he remained on Yavin, he would have explained. But justifying his absolutely honorable actions in face of so wild accusations - no. He has too much pride to do that. (And what should he have said? "I almost got killed because I tried to save your students?" No way!) At the time he just dismissed them as some rubbish because he considered Luke too stressed and too influenced by Jade.
    He can't understand that Luke is unable to put the past to rest. He himself isn't like this at all. And he honestly doesn't understand the amount of Luke's self-pity. In fact, this feeling is completely strange to him. I'd like to remind, that Vader is gravely burned (around 60% of flesh), disfigured, depending on life-support and feeling pain constantly. If he were inclined to self-pity he would have commited suicide a long time ago. So Luke's motivations elude him completely. In fact, he understands Jade much better than his son.

I hope it's a bit more clear. :) Thank you for you constant attention!
    ...And sorry for my awful spelling...

Will the Force be with you!
    Tatiana

20. pat_skywalker39

Jan 5, 2004
  21. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey!

Just a little note to promise you more today or tomorrow (provided that DRL cooperates as it does right now), and also to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the mysterious, very nice person who has nominated this story in the best multiple story category of the Beyond the Saga nomination of the Summer awards!

From the bottom of both Tatiana's heart and mine, THANK YOU!!!!!! (BIG HUG!!!!!!)

To be on the voting selection, we needed 3 nominations, but one is already so much more than we could ever dream of! THANK YOU!!!!

Love
    SJ and Tatiana

p.s. Who are you? ;P

22. VadeyFan2002

Sep 30, 2002
    Oh that would have been me. I gave the story my noms in five chatogories, as much as was allowed for one story. You're quite welcome. It's the only fic that I'm still reading that belongs into the beyond aera.

You can tell I'm not the gratest fan of NJO and surely not the mess that happens since the Vong were first mentioned.

[face_love] Vadey

23. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    Oh that would have been me.
    (SJ giving a Wookiee hug to VadeyFan!!!!!!!!) THANK YOU!!!!

I gave the story my noms in five chatogories, as much as was allowed for one story.
    Huh, you mean that we are nominated in more than one category?? Whoa, I didn't see 'that'...

You're quite welcome. It's the only fic that I'm still reading that belongs into the beyond aera.
    Pleasure to be of service :) Funny that you consider it a Beyond Saga though; I for one always saw it as a Saga era because it starts between ESB and RJ, but whatever ;P Just a curiosity, nothing more :)

You can tell I'm not the gratest fan of NJO
    I so know what you mean; I 'gave' away all my first NJO books when I saw where they were headed... or where they were 'not' headed with this. Curiously though, one fan managed to turn NJO into what 'I' wanted to read, and then the potential of that new cast of villains became very interesting, but still... all my stories are non-NJO related, even the Beyond Saga stories :) I just consider this part of the novels as optional to the fan's liking... or not ;P

Thanks again for the nomination(s)! It really means a lot to us, and I'll do my best to deliver more from the beta and just for you ASAP :)

Love
    SJ (And Tatiana, as always :)

24. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    As promised ;P

Disclaimers and thanks, see first post

(...)Slowly, Darth Vader came to his senses. He was sitting in his
    meditation chamber, deep within its obsidian darkness. His head ached and his body hurt more sharply than usual.

He slowly exhaled, bringing pain under control. It was his own foolishness that caused this; he made an error of lowering his shields, thus permitting Luke's flare of anger to pierce his mind.

But he wanted his son trust him so badly that had judged the risk worth taking.

Not that it helped much. Luke didn't believe any of his words.

His son didn't even bothered to scan his opened mind - as if he were afraid that he would not get any trustworthy information this way.

It was true that Vader didn't lower all his shields, he couldn't take the risk that Luke would discover some of his plans and transmit them to Jade...

"I don't trust him," he thought suddenly. "I don't trust his loyalty. Worse, I actually *do* believe he transferred it to Jade."

This explained his son?s behavior well anyway. It even explained why Luke didn't read his mind: he couldn't face the eventuality that Vader's care and worry for him were genuine. Obviously, Luke didn't want to understand that he had become a traitor to his family and had chosen to believe that it was Vader himself who had broken their mutual trust.

If this mutual trust had ever existed of course...

The Dark Lord sighed. Somehow, dealing with Leia and Solo, who had both
    seen him as only an enemy at the beginning, turned out to be much easier
    than with his kind and forgiving Jedi son. They, at least, didn't have
    any illusions and expectations for him to fulfill, any role for him to
    assume. No demands. They took what he could offer, he did the same,
    and strangely enough, it seemed to work. They became quite close with
    Leia - and his relationship with Solo was slowly evolving into sort of
    awkward friendship.

Luke, however, seemed to have some fixated image of him, felt betrayed every time Vader failed to conform to it, yet had always forgiven him after some time.

"How exceptionally generous of him!" snarled the Dark Lord. It was
    just a speculation, of course, but it explained much, and it angered
    him. "So he decided that his eternal love to Mara Jade was the most
    important thing in the world, and my question about her plans made me
    a traitor of his trust. How indeed dared I to betray him in such an
    atrocious way!"

He laughed shortly at the evident absurdity of the situation, then sighed in frustration. His anger lowered, changed itself into tiredness, into heartache; he did catch this feeling, examined it and banished without pity. No time
    for such foolishness. He had a war to win.

Once 'Avenger' would be controlled, once Luke would be found... then he
    would authorize himself to feel it. Maybe. But by all means not before.

He switched the lights on and was activating the computer when he felt
    Solo's presence near the door. Something had changed about his son-in-law, his mind felt sharp and determined. A smile slowly crept over Vader's lips; he opened the chamber, lowered its walls and allowed the young man to enter. At his sight he knew that he had indeed deduced right, the phase of changing was past Solo now.

It was strange to observe how the change of garb altered his perception of the man. The change wasn't that major; Solo was only wearing steel-gray shirt and a black TIE-pilot pants with black boots, but now, he definitely was ?Lord Solo?. Solo-the-former-smuggler had disappeared without a trace.

His son-in-law stopped before his seat, looked at him. Vader remained silent. He felt that Solo was up to something, so he waited for him to start speaking.

Solo seemed to hesitate for a heartbeat, then knelt before him and bowed. "My Lord, I pledge my loyalty to the Empire and to you," he said, his voice hoarse.

That, Vader didn't expect at all. "I do accept your oath, in both the name of the Empire and my own," he managed.

Solo bowed again, stood up and flashed him a grin. "T

25. SJade

Sep 15, 2000
    And more ;)
    Disclaimers see first post

(...)

Han met with Wedge on a neutral territory, in a one of the small recreation rooms, communally used by republicans and imperials. Since they were in between shifts; the room was empty but for two TIE pilots playing strato. At Han's entry they glanced at him, calmly saved the party and got out, without any apparent haste, yet rather promptly.

Han sat at strato's board and idly scrolled through base game patterns. All major battles of the last war were there; the one of Yavin had an impressive difficulty rating for playing Republicans. No wonder, the Death Star was an incredible advantage, and he doubted that its computer version included Luke with his Force-talent. Luke, with his idealism, and easy smile, and light in the eyes.

Han winced.
    He missed the "Kid", missed him a lot and he had the sickening feeling that once they would find Luke, the "Kid" would be long gone.

That was one thing to see and accept the change within himself, but completely different to admit that his friend would most likely be completely changed too.

He then remembered who he was about to meet with and realized that his own change would probably be quite difficult to deal with for Wedge.

As if in answer, the door opened with a low hiss and in entered Wedge Antilles himself, wearing a pristine and tidy official Republican Commander uniform,
    which Han had never seen on him before.

Wedge's face was calm and had that official-closed look Han had learned to hate. Han stood up, and they shook hands.

"What happened?" asked Wedge, sitting down at strato's board opposing Han.

"Nothing," said Han. "I just thought we had to talk."

"Do we?"

"Definitely."

Wedge remained silent, the very figure of a polite, good mannered, distant republican.

Han sighed inwardly. He came prepared to this meeting, but it was much more difficult to speak before his friend than before any political council.
    "Listen, I want us to remain friends. I really do."

"Do you?"

"You have doubts?"

"Yes," said Wedge, looking straight at him. "Yes, Han, I actually do."

"Why?"

"Because you care more for Vader's approval than anything else."

"I better care for his approval," smirked Han, "he's the Emperor, you know."

"It doesn't mean that you have to act as if you've sold yourself to him."

"I guess, in a way, I did."

Wedge stared. Han smiled.

"More like offered, though. I swore allegiance to him. Officially. I'm his third in command, it was a thing I ?had? to do."

Took me an awfully long time to understand it too, thought Han.

"Han..." began Wedge. Solo raised his hand.

"No, let me finish. I am imperial now, you see. And that means the imperial crew passes first. It has nothing to do with personal preference; it's my job. And, if my job has to come in conflict with friendship I have to choose the job. I *have to*, but I'd hate the situation, and I'd rather avoid it. So... I want you as my friend. The question is: what do you yourself want?"

Wedge stared at him. Then smirked. "Sith... Han Solo, the third in command of the Empire. Who would've thought?"

"Indeed," said Han calmly.

Wedge sighed. "Look, I need to think it over. If you don't mind."

"It's ok."

"You've changed," remarked Wedge.

"Must be the shirt," offered Han.

"Yeah, have to be. Good shirt, by the way."

"Leia's present."

"Ah."

"Look," said Han, "whatever you decide, no hard feelings, ok?"

"Ok," smiled Wedge. "No hard feelings. I have a question, though."

"Shoot it."

"Do you think the Empire?s worth it?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be here," said Han.

"I see... All right. If you don't have other thing for me..."

Han shook his head.

"Then see you later."

Wedge stood up, they shook hands again.

"See you later."

TBC in part 15: Sudden changes
    (Which has yet to be written ;P

2004, Written by
    SJ (skyjade@globetrotter.net)
    Tatiana (aa354105@econophone.ch)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.