main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Power Rangers - The Campy Legacy Continues

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Moleman1138, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I can't even tell you how obsessed I was. Had to go to the movie opening day and in 94-95 that was the golden year. Thunderzords. Tigerzord. The Return of Tommy as White Ranger. I wish I could relive that again

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'm currently watching Mahou Sentai Magiranger. I'm wondering about the Americanized version, Mystic Force, is Wolzard the father of the Magirangers as well?

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Dunno. We're only two episodes in.

4. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Nevermind the entire team aren't siblings unlike in the Japanese super sentai version. So Wolzard being their father wouldn't make much sense...unless they're steph brother/sisters.

5. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I used to love this show as a kid. Drifted off after Zeo I think it was. Yellow ranger was my favorite.

Recently caught a few episodes on the SPD season as I'm studying childrens TV for a project. It was ok, made me relive my childhood a little bit, but nothing can beat the original MMPR. I also watched the sentai counterparts out of curiosity more than anything. Which I find interesting. I like the way that the Sentai shows are probably aimed at older viewers. Dirty fighting, blood, bullets (in the case of dekaranger) some swearing. You would never see that on Jetix!

6. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Power Rangers... I remember watching the show when I was in elementary school. Magna Defender rocked with that vengeful anti-hero attitude!

7. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I finished Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger yesterday and I have to say I disagree. This show, like most sentai, are aimed at 10 year old kids. Japan and America simply have different standards when it comes to kid shows.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Here's some Drive Force rumors

Emma Watson from HP fame

Daniel Logan, Young Boba Fett

and

Mike Lookinland (Bobby Brady)'s son are all rumored to be part of the next Power Rangers series that'll start February 07.

If it is true, it'd be a great way to get somewhat famous names out there. I think that they're all pretty young as the orignal cast from 93 was between 19-23.

It would definitely get me interesting in Power Rangers again, only 10 years later. :p

9. TK-2432

TK-2432 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2005
    The prop/set lead guy of the first seasons and maybe till this day had a crush on my mother when we lived in Saugus/Canyon Country. (I was very young)

I have many pictures of me wearing villain costumes ... as well as THE MEGAZORD.

I also have my own morpher. I have met the orignal cast, been on set for the movies and done a bunch of other crap :p

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i lost my interest in Power Rangers a long time ago. it would take an act of God to get me back into it

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    *brings thread back from the dead*

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

A
    H
    E
    A
    D

I'm liking the current Mystic Force season, but I wish they wouldn't hotshot Heir Apparent II There's a lot of potential in keeping Liambow as Liambow for a few episodes before they turn him back into Kroagg. It would allow the Rangers to know him for the good man he really is rather than the man that has as Nick/Bowen said in HAII: "The guy that's been smoking us for the last few months." Plus it would heighten everything when Nick finds out his true parantage (Shades of SW here guys).

I know, I know, it's Power Rangers, but I think now that they've made their big reveal, they can slow it down now before getting into the angsty stuff.

Edit: As for the Sentai version I assume that Wolzad = Liambow/Kroagg?

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    TMNT is, in no way, a counterpart to MMPR. As the thread title mentions, MMPR is campy and the material never really elevates beyond that (with a slight exception to the green ranger 5-parter to a certain degree) or is able to be taken seriously. TMNT, on the other hand, can be taken with a degree of seriousness (particularly the original comics, but also the original film in manyr espects).

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe Campy but can have darn good stories at times.

14. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Ah, this is the show I used to run from school to watch when I was 5. Personally, I think the best season was Space, simply becasue Countdown to Destruction tied up so many loose ends with previous series, and yet still mangaged to have a strong story within itself.

I still watch the old episodes when I'm bored, and I've seen Mystic Force- pretty good.

15. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    Brings back memories:_| The show was campy and realy silly but I liked the mighty morphin original series and as long as Kimberly was in it I was watching[face_love] Whatever happened to that pretty girl?:confused: Has she stared in any movies or shows since then?

16. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Amy Jo Johnson has started a music career, actually. :) Other things she's been in include, but aren't limited to: Felicity, Susie Q, an ep of ER, and a TV movie called Perfect Body. (IMDB!)

her website

And I haven't watched it regularly since MMPR, but remember with much fondness. :)

17. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    ^ Thanks mate:) She's a real hottie[face_hypnotized] There was a nude scene on felicety ones I think watching what might have been my first celleberty fixation naked was realy cool. Those good old days:_|

18. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The shows/movies scared me as a five year old. Never got into this.

19. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    In Space was probably the peak of the series and had connections from all the series before it. I loved it when one of the old Black Rangers came back, but it was dumb when they had that 12 year old kid.

And Zordon's Energy Wave? Best. Plot Device. Ever. [face_laugh]

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Countdown to Destruction was one of the best episodes I'd ever seen. It wrapped up 5 years in 60 minutes.

21. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    The one episode that I cared about seeing that I missed...

Anyone care to fill me in on what exactly happened in that episode? Pretty Please?

22. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    In broad specifics, from Power Rangers Central: Dark Specter sends the order for all villains in the universe to begin their assault on everything in sight. Divatox, Rita, Zedd, Astronema, and the Machine Empire overtake the Alien Rangers, Gold Ranger, Blue Senturion, Phantom Ranger, and the Space Rangers, in furious battles throughout the universe. Dark Specter is destroyed by Darkonda, and Astronema becomes the new monarch of evil. Andros sneaks aboard the Dark Fortress to try and make her good again, but ends up having to defeat her in battle. He does find Zordon however, and by breaking his tube, releases a wave of energy that destroys the evil forces attacking, even reverting Astronema into Karone.

There's a better one here, but the other one has pictures.

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I was watching COD today. It's an amazing finale.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    the movie with Ivan Ooze was on the other day. it's been a while since i've seen it

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Anybody watch the Red Ranger marathon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.