main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Power/speed metal

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Entil`Zha, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entil`Zha

Entil`Zha Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 1999
    Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Hammerfall... these are just some of the names of the best metal groups out there. We should use this thread to post some new info that we find on the net about metal bands, new albums, rumours, new members and discuss your taste in music in general.

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    May we through bands such as Megadeth and Metallica (back when they were in their prime) in that list too? I consider them speed metal for their first few albums. :)

And who can forget Slayer and Pantera? ;)
    Also, can we discuss "black" metal bands such as Morbid Angel, etc here?

3. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course, this will the the Temple of Metal.... uhm.. can we change the name of the topic... Temple of Metal

4. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    "(back when they were in their prime)"

Nice to see someone who agrees that they've lost their edge. Vocal lessons really ruined his voice. :confused:

5. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Hetfield took voice lessons? :eek:
    And just ask a friendly moderator to change the topic for you..., Entil ~ I'm sure they wouldn't mind :)

So... is it safe to say that ever killer metal band needs a lead guitarist..? :confused:

6. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Well yes, the guitarist in metal the one who sets the mood, for most songs. Just a few examples, Metallica, Enter Sandman, Luca Turilli for Rhapsody and Timo Tollki for Stratovarius.

7. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    I happen to be a fan Of "Swedish Melodic Death" myself. I think they have more to offer then just strait up Power Metal. But whatever man to each thier own.

\m/

8. Darth Dradus

Apr 9, 2000
    About the Dude who posted about Black Metal(Ha Ha not "Living Color") What do you think of the New Emperor album ?

9. Emperor-Palpatine

Emperor-Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    System of a Down probably fits in this category.

Although Meshuggah is probably a little too hardcore. Meh.

10. Darth Dradus

Apr 9, 2000
    A litte too hardcore ? Explain ?

11. Emperor-Palpatine

Emperor-Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Listen to any of their songs, and you'll see what I mean.

12. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Never heard of them either... will try to find an mp3 or two...

Post #1000 for the Amphitheatre!

13. XR73627794

XR73627794 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    Meshuggah are pretty hardcore I would say, and their guitarists definately know how to use the seven strings, unlike the nu-"metal" bands who just grab those and tune em down and play power chords over and over while some idiot with a baseball cap tries to rap over it. :p
    They don't hold a candle to The Dillinger Escape Plan though, those guys are the most insane, blindingly fast band that I have ever heard. Their guitar players are amazing.

14. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    About the Dude who posted about Black Metal(Ha Ha not "Living Color") What do you think of the New Emperor album ?
    -- I haven't heard it.. is it any good?

15. Ummagumma

Ummagumma Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    Ummagumma, The Greatest Probe Droid Ever Activated, wonders if anybody here has heard of Anal ****.

Ummagumma, The Greatest Probe Droid Ever Activated, isn't sure if they would be considered "speed metal" or just hardcore.

16. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001
    Cannibal Corpse :D

What a great way to make my 1,800th post, talking about death metal :D :D

17. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    I've never heard of James Hetfield taking singing lessons before.

That's news to me if it's true.

18. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Anal **** (edit the band name if you must) is funny (if you don't get offended to easily) but they don't have any instrumental ability.

I will thanks.

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Guys, please turn this into a discussion of this style of music, not just saying who you think is some of the better bands in this category.

20. Entil`Zha

Jul 9, 1999
    Of course, let's bring this back on track. Looking for a website with news on metal bands....

There's http://www.invader.de

21. XR73627794

Jan 12, 2002
    Well, back on topic too, I don't know if I would lump Blind Guardian in the same category with Stratovarius Rhapsody, and Hammerfall.
    There are some similarities of course, as they are all "metal" bands, but that is where the similarities end.
    When I think of power metal, I think of bands like Hammerfall, who sing really melodic and write lyrics about being "true metal warriors" and things like that.
    I would call BG more of a fantasy influenced group of metal musicians who are closer to something like progressive thrash than power metal or speed metal.
    But I might call some of their older stuff speed metal though.
    And also I think BG rocks a bit harder than most power metal bands too. ;)

And I haven't heard the new Emperor album either, I haven't bought a CD in a long, long time. But I expect it not to be too bad though, cause I like most of their stuff.

22. XR73627794

Jan 12, 2002
    What happened?

Oh yeah, I killed another thread. :(

23. Darth Dradus

Apr 9, 2000
    Yeah it rocks i had it on my pC.. uh speaking of fast guitars and drumming how about Nile ?

24. XR73627794

Jan 12, 2002
    While Nile definately can play very fast. I wouldn't call them power or speed metal.
    They would be more along the lines of a death metal band, and a damn good one at that. ;)

I see speed metal as being bands more like the early thrash variety, just very fast, punk influenced in your face music.

*tries to keep thread on topic so Kadue won't lock it* :p

25. Darth Dradus

Apr 9, 2000
    Dude I know Nile is neither power or speed. I was just responding the the poster about fast playing bands. Can someone please tell me how Meshugga are hardcore, They sound nothing like the genre. First off probally no hardcore band could wrte let alone play one of thier songs. Thier underated becasue of thier sound but if you know music (read and or wirte) then you would apreciate them much more, becasue thier works are very complex.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.