main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
  2. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    No wonder you didn't like the effects -you watched them on such a tiny screen!

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  4. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    While that's true, I really really enjoy the visual effects video that's in the article. I think it's so cool to see how the effects were made and it shows how much work must've gone into creating what was in the final movie. :D I kinda wanna see one of these for the prequels too. Though I probably wouldn't bother reading the comments on it :p

5. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    That is what Lucas is showing with those scene that some viewer described as mess. War is ugly and it is a mess. In TESB you see the heroic yet desperate effort of good guys with lack of resources and in AOTC it is not like Spartans against Persians is full scale ugly war.
    Actually the presented shots of the AT walkers always looked fake for me, but it is a matter of perception.

6. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Il really like this picture:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJjQq-DhI_7/

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Same. The stopmotion is incredibly clunky and obvious. I wish Lucas had fixed that in one of the special editions

8. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  9. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    For me the problem is in the background.. there is no enough 'space' behind so I see how this is made in a small size in the studio. But ayway, the effects for these time were revolutionary. Actually, the digital effects of the PT also. Is not possible that the both mentioned type of effect look the same as the first time we saw them.

10. The hidden holocron

The hidden holocron Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    For me they look fake in ROTJ, not in TESB.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

There seems to be more going on with the scene this shot is fromn AotC than just bad compositing or bad effects. Apparently Yoda is in a hover chair out of necessity for Mace and Obi-Wan's eye lines to match up. That seems to imply the shot and scene as they appear in the movie are quite different than the way they were envisioned during shooting. So something either changed in post production or mistakes were made and there wasn't time to fix them. The scene feels like a last minute addition to the movie to clarify story details, and we know it replaces another scene with Mace and Obi-Wan in the Jedi Hanger. I wonder if Ewan McGregor and Samuel L. Jackson even shot this scene together? Who knows. This could have been the sort of thing where a crew went to where the actors were separately shoot them.

For how much the version of AotC on film differed from the digital version released the same summer - it seems like the movie wasn't actually finished when it was released.

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    "Films aren't released. They escape." - Ben Burtt

14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  15. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Films, uh, find a way.

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This is great. A new clip showing only practical work in Fury Road:

Yet the movie added plenty of CGI too. They minimized it as much as possible & the results were incredible.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Oh DD... We are talking about the PT, not Mad Max.

Nothing to see there guys. Move along, move along...

[​IMG]

18. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    That´s what they call pick-up. Happens all the time during making of almost any moive. Nothing unusal.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    L110 - I agree. Pick up shots and reshoots are an important and completely necessary part of movie making. However I suspect there was something else unusual going on with AotC that made getting it into theaters a photo finish. Maybe there were complications caused by the new camera technology. It might have something to do with how late the script was finished. Or maybe it was an artistic decision and because of the new digital technology they thought they could pull of changes to the movie much later in post production than traditional filmmaking would allow. Eitherway it seems like there was extra complications at the end.

The best proof is they continued working on AotC after the film prints were made.

My guess is shots like this are the result whatever happened late in post production and they ran out of time. Otherwise this would have been reshot again so Yoda wouldn't be in a hover chair.

TOASTEROVEN and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016

Hmm, when I posted them in the where massive. Ho Hum.

Those gifs that were posted later with the AotC were so dense. Every frame had so much going on. ;)

21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Indeed. I believe Fury Road won the Oscar for visual effects for it, too?

Darth Downunder likes this.
  22. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Yoda is in the hover chair because they needed to find a way for Yoda to keep up with two fully grown men.

The changes you speak of aren't all that significant. There's Anakin human hand to a robot hand during the forbidden wedding, a shot of Coruscant where the back ground ships were changed, Jango trying to fire up his jet pack before getting his head chopped off. The biggest change was the addition of the dialogue in the scene on The Lars Homestead after the Tusken slaughter.

The changes are more likely a result of the logistics behind distribution and not whether or not the movie was actually finished. Since there weren't that many theaters that had digital projectors at that time, the movie had to be shipped off at a certain time to make the non-digital prints for distribution. However, Lucas had time to tweak things before sending the film off for digital distribution, so tweaked a few things after looking at the movie. Because the tweaks are rather insignificant and don't change the movie in any meaningful way, we can surmise the movie was finished as he wanted it, but with the added extra time between distribution deadlines, Lucas had that extra time to change things that he had been playing with in his head.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  23. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

War. War never changes. The Romans waged war to gather...oops. Wrong series!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  24. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    'Yoda is in the hover chair because they needed to find a way for him to keep up with two, grown men.'..Right. Here in lies the complete ridiculousness of having Yoda bounce around like a frog on speed when he feels like it..
    "Hold up you two, keep up I cannot *pant* only 2 foot tall and 900 years old I am, don't forget"..
    "But Master Yoda, I've seen you kick into gear when you really want to before. Why are you playing that game?"..
    ".....it can get you into a lotta trouble thinking Errol I wouldn't do too much of it I were you.." ;)

11-4D likes this.
  25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Thank You for giving yet another example of what I was talking about in the criticisms thread. This thread has nothing to do with people's issue with Yoda in AOTC (unless it was about the use of a practical Yoda), yet you just couldn't help yourself in getting that kick in on the dead horse...

At least Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid post was about the CGI in AOTC, so it was somewhat in line with the topic...:(