main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Somewhat, I think it would help if KK and JJ had said, "Yes, we will be using practical effects and sets like both trilogies. Which some of you may not realize this but the PT actually used those too."

Something along those lines at Star Wars Celebration, it didn't have to be anything major unless it was a PT panel, but briefly point this out to some of the ignorant people out there, but anyway.

2. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    It is, lmao

Speaking of aliens though, I've also been reminded today because of the TFA creature shot that came out, there's also some folks out there who believe there weren't any "practical" aliens/creatures (aka people in masks and makeup, basically) in the PT and that they were all CGI!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man, is there a lot of misconceptions out there of these movies. [face_skull]

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Those people need help!

4. Delta Scepter

Delta Scepter Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2014

Not to mention, as a Star Wars Fan, he should know that Gungan skeletons are made of cartilage.

SlashMan and DarthBrian like this.
  5. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Wow. Thanks for this. I was spoiler-free for Episode III so I didn't see a lot of these videos back then. Impressive, most impressive. :)

Lol. good point. :p

6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    The Creatures Of Episode III
    "And the People who bring them to life"

Notice, its People, not computers..!;)

JJ's reaction >[face_liarliar]

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    j.j. did say it and it was a joke. lighten up people.

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    You guys already probably mentioned this so sorry not to repeat anything, but at the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim John Knoll mentioned that TPM was the most model-heavy film ILM has ever done and that he would bet it was the most model-intensive film ever done to that point. I know the films get lambasted for their use of CG, but he was indicating at least that TPM used an extreme number of models and practical effects as well. I think you use the right tool for the right job, whatever that may be.

9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    This is where the distinction between models and miniatures has to come into play.

Models seem to mean more ships and vehicles than environments that miniatures create. I also note that people in the industry tend to do a lot of shorthand so what exactly is meant by that and how interchangeable is it seems to vary a lot.

Then of course you get into the whole thing where tons of models are made but not actually directly used in the movie and shoot but used as reference models for the CGI artists to use when building the digital models or even scanning those into the digital realm then using that as a starting point.

TPM certainly used the largest combination of models for moving vehicles shot with motion control seen in the movie plus all the miniatures also shot with motion control. For AOTC and ROTS far fewer models were actually shot and used directly in the movie as opposed to being reference models of one kind or another. The number of miniatures shot and used in camera for environments went up and up.

Each of the prequels used an extreme number of practical effects and far less CGI than any of the detractors would ever possibly imagine or could possibly admit to. They also wouldn't like to know about all of the animation that the OT used because somehow that animation was "real" just like the barely moving and mostly stationary puppets were "real."

I love Lucas' line from the ROTJ commentary where he laughs at the whole "real" notion. IIRC he says something like 'puppets characters are fake and CGI characters are fake. It's all fake but the difference is the fake CGI characters aren't stuck on one or two places on the floor that you have to shoot around while the fake CGI characters can be shot like real actors.'

10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    The strange thing about this coming up so much is in the 10 years since the prequels ended i see all these other action movies where they're using cgi for the actual actors. I mean when you saw people dueling in the PT it was really people. Not so much in the fights in a lot of these other movies.

Kenobi098 and Andy Wylde like this.
  11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Look at Avatar..
    Even though that's the kind of movie they were going for.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This. It was a joke - and one one would expect from a guy who has probably heard every interviewer mention Jar Jar as some sort of Antichrist (because the interviewers wanna show how much, they, like, totally understands the fans).

Well, the use of digital doubles was revolutionised in the prequels (but Christopher Lee's flips were real. Awesome man at 82 years old ;) ). But yeah, I agree. The constant use of CGI stunt doubles in all blockbusters nowadays is unfortunate, since they always tend to forget to follow the laws of physics (which is OK to an extent, but...).

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  13. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]
    LMAO At this very practical jedi doing a very practical lightsaber swirl,, on a very practical gunship.[face_laugh]

14. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    [​IMG]

I found this pic online and thought it would be a nice addition to this post.

15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Organa's speeder to the right?

earlchinna likes this.
  16. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    Nice. What's the source on that picture?

17. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I will try to find it again and post it when I do. It was a random pic I had saved somewhere.

18. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    B99 Looks like it.

B99 likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's from annie liebowitz's pt photo shoots.

20. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    the whole cgi was everywhere in the prequels thing is rubbish and it has to hurt folks like Silas Carson who played multiple characters under heavy makeup sometime with animotrontics inside the mask he was wearing like for gunray.

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    There is a site trying to get money to do a documentary on "Defending the Prequels!"
    Saw it on Makingstarwars.net. Check it out.

22. DarthBrian

Apr 9, 2002
    I wish I could contribute money towards that, but I have none. :(

thejeditraitor and B99 like this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    LOL I know, All my moneys going to SW figures.. I'll just spread the word..

24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I put it in my sig ;)

25. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, don't have any money either, but I'm spreading the word.

thejeditraitor and Andy Wylde like this.