main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Han Burgundy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Making of Star Wars Prequel Trilogy - World building Set Design Interviews:

Making of Star Wars Prequel Trilogy - Concept Art CGI Special Effects:

2. elfdart

elfdart Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 1, 2001
    Good point.

It would be funny if the amount of CGI was roughly the same as in the Prequels, and this was all just an effort to (how can I put this politely in a family-friendly forum such as this one?) shall we say, massage the hurt feelings of so many middle-aged "fans".

Why not? I mean, if you can convince legions of neckbeards that George Lucas (or was it Rick McCallum?) hired an army of painters, draftsmen, sculptors, plasterers, set designers and set decorators, and they did nothing, then convincing them the other way around should be easy as pie. It's not like Prequel-bashers were ever terribly bright to begin with.

3. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001
    So there's precedent for hiring those who want to Whitta.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

You can make a point without being an arse.

darthosaka and DarthAhem like this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    R these new?? Oh I see, DMC! Finally someone posted it! :)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    0:35 first vid^
    I like what he said!! :)

darthosaka likes this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Look everyone! Practical rain!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMAZING isn't it?

Then a PRACTICAL street set in a practical desert. I mean a REAL desert!! Along with a practical miniature:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMAZING isn't it?

Then a practical office with a practical sculpture:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMAZING isn't it?

Then a practical miniature with practical chairs on a set.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMAZING isn't it?

Then a practical miniature and practical set with practical people and practical droids even!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AMAZING isn't it?

8. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I really like this sarcasm about practical effects, it's a perfect answer to Disney's campaign.

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Only "rain" generated in a studio setting.... They didn't go to Ireland in the middle December to film in REAL rain so it doesn't count!!!!

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I want REAL rain and REAL lightning!

11. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Listen to George at 30:38^!
    [​IMG]

12. elfdart

Apr 1, 2001

That was uncalled for.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Nah! It's CGI rain obviously! :p

But I wonder how the actors are wet if the rain is fake. Maybe the actors are CGI too. :p

darthosaka and Andy Wylde like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

He meant a REAL RAIN STORM!!!!!!!! :p

Why did we go so lax with the exclamation points? What happened to our society? Is there no control anymore?

15. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    What people don't realize is that all the actors were naked on set with their costumes added digitally later.

16. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    Hayden Christensen couldn't grow his hair out in time for the the film, so his hair in Episode III is all CGI.

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Peter Frampton called, Hayden. He wants his hair back!

[​IMG]

Look out Hayden!

ZZZZttttt!

Oh dear God!

[​IMG]

Samnz, Tackelberry and SW Saga Fan like this.
  18. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think a big problem with cgi in the pt isn't that they used but that some of these practical sets look good until they add completely pointless cgi.

example: the 'throne room' at the beginning of rots. cgi for the space battle background is fine. set itself is mostly fine. but then they have that pointless electric glow around palpatine's shackles that make the whole thing immediately look fake, like an early 2000s videogame randomly thrown into a live action film. if it was just the shackles without the glow, we wouldn't have that problem. plus the fake looking lighting/gloss they put over almost everything in those films. that's the real issue I think.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The electric shackles weren't "pointless." They even talk about why they put those in there: the practical shackles didn't show up on camera well enough.

And I fail to see how one tiny localized CGI effect suddenly made the entire practical set look "fake."

20. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

'cause that one tiny detail stands out so badly and takes you out of the moment lol. this is just one of many examples of this in the pt and special edition ot.

as for their reasoning I kind of get it, but in the closer up shots it's clear they're there even without the glow so idk if it was really necessary even if I get their reasoning.

21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There didn't seem anything pointless, fake or videogamey about the electric shackles to me. Nor do I see how something like that could take anyone out of the moment. If there are things about that whole sequences that do look odd, it's cg-Dooku doing an unnecessary summersault and Dooku crushing part of the environment onto Obi Wan. Not that there was much you could have done to create that scene with any other method either.

If there was one thing that might have caused some things to look off, it was the new digital cameras, which obviously weren't anywhere near as well developed as what we have today. Not that there was anything wrong with Lucas using them, someone had to be the pioneer.

22. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    WOW! Can Adam Savage show his bias just a tad more? The guy gushes over movies he had nothing to do with, while just blasé going over the details of the movies he did have a part in? Creation wise that is.

It seemed like he was struggling to talk about the work he did in the PT on that video. Then guys into full out gush mode about JJ and the new films. Utterly pathetic.

I bet he didn't struggle to cash those paychecks he received from LFL for his work on the PT though?

23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I can't believe that the first words in the CC reel were " Real sets, practical effects"- Mark Hamill,
    I love Hamill so much, But give me a break..... Even IF u believe the lies that prequels were all cgi,
    and love that the movies are using a lot(more like a lil more) more practical effects, its getting annoying how many times they talk about it, half of what JJ&LC said at cc were just blabbing on about it....

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    At some point, they have to realize they've made their point about practical practical, the whole friggin world is practical. Don't belabor the point though. If you make it all about that, don't be surprised on release of the film when that's all people want to talk about.

I love vfx of all kinds just as much as anyone else but if the vfx is all were going to hear from Lucasfilm, they might as well put Roger Guyett and the ILM team up there on the podium to give the talks.

25. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    Only a relatively small amount of this discusses "practical effects" in the prequels, but I think it's still pretty relevant to this thread.

Every time I see any kind of documentary about ILM I'm always shocked (and even a tad disturbed) to realize to what extent it has shaped my imagination, if not my psychology.

Andy Wylde and Kitster_Lives like this.